Lawrence vs Fields vs Wilson

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’ve pretty much nailed my Fields evaluation and a lot of experts agree with me when I made these projections ages ago.

So laugh all you like but my controversial opinion on Fields is now a main stream opinion.

It is not funny. The media, as your source of information, pretty much nails my evaluation of your comments. You would have taken Trubisky over Mahommes, because of media projection, and your astute assessments.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’ve pretty much nailed my Fields evaluation and a lot of experts agree with me when I made these projections ages ago.

So laugh all you like but my controversial opinion on Fields is now a main stream opinion.
Very common opinion on Fields.

When I started watching him, I simply couldn't understand the hoopla. Even in the game where he was good vs Clemson, I wasn't all that impressed. Looks like a 2nd round talent to me. Maybe 3rd.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is not funny. The media, as your source of information, pretty much nails my evaluation of your comments. You would have taken Trubisky over Mahommes, because of media projection, and your astute assessments.
Fields is all over the charts as a prospect. Not sure anyone really knows what to think at this point. He could be Dak Prescott, he could be EJ Manuel. In OH ST's O, he wasn't asked to anticipate throws, so no one really knows whether he can or not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Dude, if you do your research I made a lot of my opinions when they weren’t popular so have fun trying to discredit me but I nailed this evaluation ages ago.

And yes I would’ve missed on Mahomes.. I think it’s fair that nearly everyone besides Andy Reid didn’t miss on the guy.

I acknowledged the talent but he was extremely raw and guys with his background were failing over and over in the pros.. He self admittedly couldn’t read a defense.

Now the NFL has almost adopted a college style of offense and guys who can barely throw the ball are having success in this league as well as 5’10 QBs.

The NFl has changed.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That could be, but I have a difficult time figuring out how Watson is supposedly worth a huge haul but Prescott isn't worth half that. Not as if Watson is locked up cheap.

If anything, the Prescott injury is the problem.

I realize you don't like him, but Wentz went for basically a 1 and a 2 which tells me two 1s is the lower end of his market.

We all know that Wentz, Bradford, Dalton, etc., is the kind of QB that Catch would like at the helm.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dude, if you do your research I made a lot of my opinions when they weren’t popular so have fun trying to discredit me but I nailed this evaluation ages ago.

And yes I would’ve missed on Mahomes.. I think it’s fair that nearly everyone besides Andy Reid didn’t miss on the guy.

I acknowledged the talent but he was extremely raw and guys with his background were failing over and over in the pros.. He self admittedly couldn’t read a defense.

Now the NFL has almost adopted a college style of offense and guys who can barely throw the ball are having success in this league as well as 5’10 QBs.

The NFl has changed.

What you, and others that think like you, fail to understand is, some players adapt better to NFL than college. Every projected All-Pro, did not make it in the NFL. Sometimes, raw talent is better than the shiny objects, that you and others always bandwagon.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fields is all over the charts as a prospect. Not sure anyone really knows what to think at this point. He could be Dak Prescott, he could be EJ Manuel. In OH ST's O, he wasn't asked to anticipate throws, so no one really knows whether he can or not.

I think he’ll be solid and I would take him 4th out of these QBs.

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Lance (upside and I’m willing to take a risk but Fields has higher floor but lower ceiling)

4. Fields

5. Mac Jones ( Non mobile QBs just scare me these days)

kskboys

Reaction score
What you, and others that think like you, fail to understand is, some players adapt better to NFL than college. Every projected All-Pro, did not make it in the NFL. Sometimes, raw talent is better than the shiny objects, that you and others always bandwagon.
That is true.

Although, in the high majority of cases you can find the reasons why. Most had the warning signs that a team chose to ignore(See Jammies Russel, Ryan Leaf, etc.....)

In other cases, the warning signs caused a player to drop, but they turned out to be good anyway(See Aaron Rodgers, Kawaan Short, etc...)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Listen.. When it comes to how I evaluate QBs you have no idea what you’re talking about. Like none.

You’d like to think that I think a certain way but I project them in terms of how their game translates to the Pro’s. Which is why I had Josh Allen as the top QB in his class and Justin Herbert as the most talented QB in his.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think he’ll be solid and I would take him 4th out of these QBs.

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Lance (upside and I’m willing to take a risk but Fields has higher floor but lower ceiling)

4. Fields

5. Mac Jones ( Non mobile QBs just scare me these days)
QB's being so extremely difficult to evaluate, I believe after Lawrence/Wilson/Fields, that there is no one else. Lance has a great arm, but I don't see him being able to learn to navigate NFL D's.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He could also be Moon, Brady, or Montana. Was not Josh Allen raw, when he came into the league?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
QB's being so extremely difficult to evaluate, I believe after Lawrence/Wilson/Fields, that there is no one else. Lance has a great arm, but I don't see him being able to learn to navigate NFL D's.

We’ve only seen 18 & 19 year old Trey Lance.

He’s 20.

Dude is a phenomenal athlete.. Look at Lamar Jackson.. He’s not a dynamic passer but teams are so terrified he will run that he gets great looks in the passing game that turn into pitch and catch.

I would take Lance over Fields because if I develop that guy he is a phenom and I’m drafting QBs to be phenoms and not solid QBs.. Solid QBs are everywhere.

The NFL has changed so much since Mahomes came into the league and QBs of all different shapes, sizes, and skill sets are finding ways to be productive for their teams.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Listen.. When it comes to how I evaluate QBs you have no idea what you’re talking about. Like none.

You’d like to think that I think a certain way but I project them in terms of how their game translates to the Pro’s. Which is why I had Josh Allen as the top QB in his class and Justin Herbert as the most talented QB in his.

So with your current assessment, Lawrence and Wilson, are the only QB's that will have success in the NFL, because their game translates to the pros. I will now take notice of your predictions, to make sure I give you props.

kskboys

Reaction score
He could also be Moon, Brady, or Montana. Was not Josh Allen raw, when he came into the league?
That's obvious. And he could also be Aaron Brooks, Jason Campbell, Mitch Trubisky, or Collin Klein. Throwing names out a list of names of who he could be is a lesson in futility. At present, he's a great athlete w/ a great arm who now is presented w/ a special and hugely difficult challenge, taking the next step to NFL QB. No use pretending whether we know if he'll make it or not, it's a matter of seeing if he can learn to anticipate throws and consistently move the ball at the NFL level.

Josh is one of the few athletic guys w/ big arms who worked out. And he worked his bum off to get here, taking special training outside the team's training to get better at the position.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve only seen 18 & 19 year old Trey Lance.

He’s 20.

Dude is a phenomenal athlete.. Look at Lamar Jackson.. He’s not a dynamic passer but teams are so terrified he will run that he gets great looks in the passing game that turn into pitch and catch.

I would take Lance over Fields because if I develop that guy he is a phenom and I’m drafting QBs to be phenoms and not solid QBs.. Solid QBs are everywhere.

The NFL has changed so much since Mahomes came into the league and QBs of all different shapes, sizes, and skill sets are finding ways to be productive for their teams.
Possibly. He's so raw, he really shouldn't be taken til the 4th. But, since QB's are almost always overdrafted, he'll be taken in the 1st most likely, and it will hinder his development if he's thrown into the lion's den immediately.

Jackson works because he runs a 4.3. Freaky speed. Lance doesn't have freaky speed, so I don't find that an apt comparison.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's obvious. And he could also be Aaron Brooks, Jason Campbell, Mitch Trubisky, or Collin Klein. Throwing names out a list of names of who he could be is a lesson in futility. At present, he's a great athlete w/ a great arm who now is presented w/ a special and hugely difficult challenge, taking the next step to NFL QB. No use pretending whether we know if he'll make it or not, it's a matter of seeing if he can learn to anticipate throws and consistently move the ball at the NFL level.

Josh is one of the few athletic guys w/ big arms who worked out. And he worked his bum off to get here, taking special training outside the team's training to get better at the position.

Josh, is not the only QB that was raw and made it in the NFL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Really tough to do QBs because it depends on systems and the like.

I think Trevor Lawrence is Deshaun Watson. Highest floor of any of them. But I am worried about his ceiling. He is very athletic but straight-line speed doesn't always equate to escapability.
Like Watson I think Lawrence is going to eat sacks as he adjusts to taking tighter window throws on the NFL level. Because he is a can't miss starter he is 1A for me.

Wilson is Tony Romo. I think he can be the best QB in this draft class in the right situation. He'd really fit with a coach like Andy Reid. --But no he isn't Mahomes... no one is.
Because he might create his own magic and elevate teams or get beaten up and struggle trying to force things I give him a strong 1B.

Justin Fields is 3rd. He is high ceiling and low floor. His best is insane but his lesser work is a lot of head shaking on how the game got lost. See his High School play for instance. Best athlete on the field but doesn't always see the open guy.

I can give you zero of note on Lance here. I've seen him for like 10 minutes worth of clips total. He can throw it a long way and is fast.

Mac Jones to me an R3 QB. He is Greg McElroy/Trent Dilfer. We saw Tua as a Bama QB then as a pro. Having that type of talent around you makes life easy.
He is accurate and good kid and leader. But I do not see the requisite athleticism or arm strength to be a long term starter. I'd stay away from him as he is the kind of guy who will be everyone's favorite as the back up QB then hit a hard wall like Tim Tebow when asked to win NFL games as a starter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Possibly. He's so raw, he really shouldn't be taken til the 4th. But, since QB's are almost always overdrafted, he'll be taken in the 1st most likely, and it will hinder his development if he's thrown into the lion's den immediately.

Jackson works because he runs a 4.3. Freaky speed. Lance doesn't have freaky speed, so I don't find that an apt comparison.

See I disagree..

We’re talking about Fields in the first round and Lance and Fields do the same thing on the football field except Lance does it with way more WOW factor.

I just hate some of his mechanics but if I’m drafting a QB I’m swinging for the fence and Lance has the big upside that I want.

Now Fields upside to me is a slightly better version of Dak and there is nothing wrong with that but I want something more then that from my QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trey Lance is the third best QB in this Class IMO. Lance plays in an Offense that is closer to the NFL Offenses then Ohio State, Clemson or BYU. I think this guy is much better then most people give him credit for. I don't know what Lance ran, assuming he ran, at his Pro Day but I know that it has been reported that he runs in the 4.5 range. That's pretty damn good considering he is 6'4 226 lbs. Lance throws the best deep ball of all of these QBs IMO. He has very good accuracy when attacking the deep areas of the field. Better then Wilson or Lawrence IMO. I am on record as believing that Lawrence is the best prospect in this Draft, Wilson has the best upside of all the QBs in this Draft but Lawrence could easily be better then any of these guys. Seriously, I really like Lance. I would take Wilson over all of them but Lance, I believe he is a more athletically skilled Dak Prescott.