Lawrence vs Fields vs Wilson

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Possibly. He's so raw, he really shouldn't be taken til the 4th. But, since QB's are almost always overdrafted, he'll be taken in the 1st most likely, and it will hinder his development if he's thrown into the lion's den immediately.

Jackson works because he runs a 4.3. Freaky speed. Lance doesn't have freaky speed, so I don't find that an apt comparison.

Bingo .. there is not a Lamar Jackson in this draft.. nor a Dak Prescott, nor a Pat Mahomes.. people need to look at guys for who they are more than who they look like. The whole "he's just like so and so" argument is lazy man's thinking. Watch guys play and see what they can and can't do. Doing the whole comp thing is what gets scouts into trouble all the time. They are evaluating a player against their memory of some other guy instead of how the kid actually plays. If 10 QBs are drafted in this draft at least 5 of them will turn out to be bums. That's just reality.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
See I disagree..

We’re talking about Fields in the first round and Lance and Fields do the same thing on the football field except Lance does it with way more WOW factor.

I just hate some of his mechanics but if I’m drafting a QB I’m swinging for the fence and Lance has the big upside that I want.

Now Fields upside to me is a slightly better version of Dak and there is nothing wrong with that but I want something more then that from my QB.

Interesting. I actually see Lance as an Athletically Superior Prescott, as opposed to Fields. Fields, to me, is more of a Randall Cunningham. I agree about his mechanics. I don't believe they are horrible, per say. I think he has to long of a stride and delivery. I think he needs to shorten up his stride and make his delivery a bit more compact but he's still very accurate. And he is flat out fast, this kid. You watch him on film and you can see that he can move a little bit. I think Fields might be a little bit faster but Fields isn't going to go off script on an RPO when stuff breaks down. He's going to tuck it and run. Lance, he's going to make things happen downfield when things break down IMO. I really, really like this kid. I'd draft him for sure.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bingo .. there is not a Lamar Jackson in this draft.. nor a Dak Prescott, nor a Pat Mahomes.. people need to look at guys for who they are more than who they look like. The whole "he's just like so and so" argument is lazy man's thinking. Watch guys play and see what they can and can't do. Doing the whole comp thing is what gets scouts into trouble all the time. They are evaluating a player against their memory of some other guy instead of how the kid actually plays. If 10 QBs are drafted in this draft at least 5 of them will turn out to be bums. That's just reality.

What can Prescott do? What can Mahomes do? What can Jackson do? What can Lawrence, Wilson, Lance and Fields do?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

That is literally what scouts do though. They look at guys and compare them to other players who have worked with a similar skill set.

That is why a guy like Russel Wilson goes in the 3rd round.. We don't have a lot of success stories with short QB's.. He has success.. Then they start feeling more comfortable with a guy like Kyler Murray who goes #1 overall.

These spread offense QB's weren't having a lot of success either.. People were looking for QB's who played more under center in college with pro style concepts.

Then Patrick Mahommes happens and now not only are teams drafting these spread guys but they are running more and more college concepts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Interesting. I actually see Lance as an Athletically Superior Prescott, as opposed to Fields. Fields, to me, is more of a Randall Cunningham. I agree about his mechanics. I don't believe they are horrible, per say. I think he has to long of a stride and delivery. I think he needs to shorten up his stride and make his delivery a bit more compact but he's still very accurate. And he is flat out fast, this kid. You watch him on film and you can see that he can move a little bit. I think Fields might be a little bit faster but Fields isn't going to go off script on an RPO when stuff breaks down. He's going to tuck it and run. Lance, he's going to make things happen downfield when things break down IMO. I really, really like this kid. I'd draft him for sure.

JMO

No way is Fields faster than Lance. Lance is a superior athlete. He's probably the best athlete at QB in this draft and that's saying something.

Lance has some of the Mahomes flare to his game but I don't think that is who he compares too.. I really don't have a comparison but I think his athleticism is nearly Lamar Jackson like.

Fields to me is a tanky/bulky bruiser type. I see Dak.. Better athlete than Dak and a much better deep ball than Dak but he's going to run the offense and just take what is there. I don't see him as a prolific passer type.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That is literally what scouts do though. They look at guys and compare them to other players who have worked with a similar skill set.

That is why a guy like Russel Wilson goes in the 3rd round.. We don't have a lot of success stories with short QB's.. He has success.. Then they start feeling more comfortable with a guy like Kyler Murray who goes #1 overall.

These spread offense QB's weren't having a lot of success either.. People were looking for QB's who played more under center in college with pro style concepts.

Then Patrick Mahommes happens and now not only are teams drafting these spread guys but they are running more and more college concepts.

It's actually part of the evaluation process in the NFL with professional NFL personnel guys. You want to find comps to players because it helps you put together a profile. If you have 10 comps with the same skill sets as a given prospect and 9 of the 10 have failed to make it 5 years in the league, then that's valuable. If you have a prospect that is the reverse, 9 of the 10 have made a second contract or what have you, that tells you something as well. Now if you see a guy, and there is no comp, then you really have something but those guys are extremely rare.

Either way, it's crazy to discount comps. They are a source of intel and all data points are valuable when evaluating talent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No way is Fields faster than Lance. Lance is a superior athlete. He's probably the best athlete at QB in this draft and that's saying something.

Lance has some of the Mahomes flare to his game but I don't think that is who he compares too.. I really don't have a comparison but I think his athleticism is nearly Lamar Jackson like.

Fields to me is a tanky/bulky bruiser type. I see Dak.. Better athlete than Dak and a much better deep ball than Dak but he's going to run the offense and just take what is there. I don't see him as a prolific passer type.

I don't know. There are reports out there that Fields ran a 4.4xxx. I think the best times I've seen reported from Lance is in the 4.5 range, which is still pretty damn good for a QB.

I actually think Lance is Warren Moon but most posters are not even going to know who that is anymore. They are really not going to know the Moon of the Edmonton Eskimos or the Washington Huskies.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I know that's what they do.. that's why I literally said "That's what gets scouts into trouble." The main reason we have not had a ton of success stories with short QBs is that teams either wouldn't draft them or would refuse to let them play QB if they did. 40 years ago Russell Wilson stays being a baseball player. Ditto Murray.. because NFL teams would not have given them the opportunity to play QB. Wilson is like a half inch shorter than Drew Brees.. and a LOT more athletic. He's also not a spread QB nor was he a spread QB in college. The main reason spread QBs are having more success is more of them are getting the chance to play in the same offense in the pros that they have been running since high school. The trickle up effect from high school to college to the NFL has come full circle and now a ton of NFL teams never put their QB under center.. something that was unthinkable just 10 years ago. The game has changed.. They keep changing the rules to make it easier and easier to throw the ball.. Drooling over these guys' arm talent is "meh" to me.. I've seen a guy (Doug Williams) throw the ball 100 yards just because a reporter asked him if he could. There will always be guys who can throw it a country mile. What matters more is can the guy play football.. Brady's arm is average at best. So was Manning's.. both of them. They soaked up 11 of the last 20 titles between them. Meanwhile guys with the most amazing arm talent we've ever seen like Favre, Rodgers and Mahomes might retire with a single solitary Super Bowl title each. Mahomes is the only one with a realistic chance of adding to his ledger. The book has been written on Favre and it's closing on Rodgers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know that's what they do.. that's why I literally said "That's what gets scouts into trouble." The main reason we have not had a ton of success stories with short QBs is that teams either wouldn't draft them or would refuse to let them play QB if they did. 40 years ago Russell Wilson stays being a baseball player. Ditto Murray.. because NFL teams would not have given them the opportunity to play QB. Wilson is like a half inch shorter than Drew Brees.. and a LOT more athletic. He's also not a spread QB nor was he a spread QB in college. The main reason spread QBs are having more success is more of them are getting the chance to play in the same offense in the pros that they have been running since high school. The trickle up effect from high school to college to the NFL has come full circle and now a ton of NFL teams never put their QB under center.. something that was unthinkable just 10 years ago. The game has changed.. They keep changing the rules to make it easier and easier to throw the ball.. Drooling over these guys' arm talent is "meh" to me.. I've seen a guy (Doug Williams) throw the ball 100 yards just because a reporter asked him if he could. There will always be guys who can throw it a country mile. What matters more is can the guy play football.. Brady's arm is average at best. So was Manning's.. both of them. They soaked up 11 of the last 20 titles between them. Meanwhile guys with the most amazing arm talent we've ever seen like Favre, Rodgers and Mahomes might retire with a single solitary Super Bowl title each. Mahomes is the only one with a realistic chance of adding to his ledger. The book has been written on Favre and it's closing on Rodgers.

40 years ago, they wouldn't have made it in the NFL because 40 years ago, QBs got hit. They took a pounding and smaller QBs didn't last. Guys who could throw the ball, had some height, were big enough to stand in and take a shot, those guys were what you were looking for because they had a chance to play every Sunday. Now, the rules have changed and smaller, less skilled passers are able to play in the NFL. The game has changed which has allowed for a different type of QB the opportunity to play.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

Lance sounds like the clunky bruiser type in his scouting report.

Croomraider

Reaction score
TLaw is ready..
Fields will impress..

Wilson 5th round grade from me lol.. super bust once he see's the speed of NFL defenses... and gets Daniel Jones'd w/ 30 fumbles a season!
This guy has truly played... NOBODY.. Dude played Texas State this year! lmaoo I forgot they had a football team?!

Lance can jump in the same conversation.