LB Ernie Sims personal workout for Dallas

texastwister

Reaction score
Sims is on Sirius radio and said that he is doing a personal workout for the Eagles on Tuesday and Dallas Wednesday. If I heard right. He is doing a workout for the Boys just wasnt sure if I got the day right. 99% sure its Wednesday.:starspin

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He was a big playmaker at Florida State.

I forgot all about him and i'd love to have him here.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Do they think he could play safety? The guy is 4-3 linebacker like the guys Parcells purged off the team already. A great athlete though, so maybe he could convert to safety like Darren Woodson. Otherwise I don't see any other reason to look at him that closely.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Do they think he could play safety? The guy is 4-3 linebacker like the guys Parcells purged off the team already. A great athlete though, so maybe he could convert to safety like Darren Woodson. Otherwise I don't see any other reason to look at him that closely.
That thought occured to me too but usually when you convert a LB to Safety they become a SS not a FS. We have Roy, Davis and Beriault already for SS so I don't see the need for this guy at Safety...unless he has really mad speed and cover skills for a LB.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Maybe they are thinking ILB. The guy makes amazing plays and weight 15 pound heavier at his pro day then they thought he would.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Maybe they are thinking ILB. The guy makes amazing plays and weight 15 pound heavier at his pro day then they thought he would.
Do you have his measureables from his Pro Day or the Combine?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
That thought occured to me too but usually when you convert a LB to Safety they become a SS not a FS. We have Roy, Davis and Beriault already for SS so I don't see the need for this guy at Safety...unless he has really mad speed and cover skills for a LB.
The coaches have always claimed that their safeties are interchangeable and their drafting seems to indicate that they lean towards the strongside types. Run stopping is apparently the priority. A lot of that is that they don't ask their free safety to play man. Woodson played the slot, but thats because he could. If they can just find a guy who makes the right coverage decisions and has some playmaking ability it doesn't matter too much about their man ability. From what I have heard about Sims, he has great coverage ability for a LB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
The coaches have always claimed that their safeties are interchangeable and their drafting seems to indicate that they lean towards the strongside types. Run stopping is apparently the priority. A lot of that is that they don't ask their free safety to play man. Woodson played the slot, but thats because he could. If they can just find a guy who makes the right coverage decisions and has some playmaking ability it doesn't matter too much about their man ability. From what I have heard about Sims, he has great coverage ability for a LB.

Your right about our scheme and the fact that we have always claimed our FS is interchangable. Having said that, I think we might be the only team in the league who plays our safeties this way. SS is easier to find, IMO, then is a good FS. Were the only ones who use a two SS allignment. You would think that this would suggest something to us. I have long hoped that it was simply a lack of talent at the FS position that made us use this party line of sorts. I hope to Gawd we don't believe our own propaganda on this theory.

I guess we'll see.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
We used to hear about the Safeties being interchangeable when Woody and Roy were back there together. When you have two superb talents like those two it can change your perception. But last year I heard Parcells mention several times that Beriault and Davis were both actually "more of a SS type". This indicates to me that he himself does not generally see the two so much as interchangeable.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Joe Gibbs claims that the Commanders have interchangeable safeties, now that they signed Archuleta.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think Sims is right up there with Woodson as an athletic talent that could make the move. I think that has to be the reason they are looking at him that close. Doesn't mean they go that way, but they have to look at him to compare to the other available safeties. Who would have thought Woodson would have made the adjustment so well?

marchetta

Reaction score
Ernie Sims LB Florida St

Strengths
Ernie is a kid that loves to play the game. He loves the physical nature of the game. He has excellent athletic talent to go along with noticeable speed and quickness. Ernie is a playmaker with good change of direction skills, which make him a solid defender in the passing game. He has an excellent burst to the ball and takes good angles. This makes him the type of player that gets a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Needs to Improve
Ernie has to learn to play smarter. He takes penalties at the most inopportune times of a game. He's hurt his team on a number of occasions. He is also a bit on the light side and can be handled in the running game. In fact, when this happens, it causes him to commit those penalties I just mentioned.

Bottom Line
Maturity and learning the techniques Ernie needs so that he's not so easily handled in the running game is all this kid needs to accomplish to be an impact player at the next level. Ernie has to learn that he doesn't need to make every single tackle to be effective and to do his job correctly. Ernie has to learn to play in position more and not do so much freelancing. This causes a burden on his other teammates to do more than their jobs to cover for him. He wants to be a playmaker and this is a good thing, but to maximize his potential, he needs to play within the scheme, let the game come to him and then be ready to impact. Ernie has to learn that taking on a block so that others can make the tackle is just as important as making the tackle. All of this will come with good coaching and maturity. I like this kid because he's a player, but he is young and I do see a lot of growing pains before he fully understands his job. Some people are suggesting that he be moved to one of the safety positions, but to me, the lack of on-field maturity makes that thought process not attractive to me. If he's not taken too high, this kid will be a steal. However, the concern for me is that he has the talent to be taken too high, will be forced onto the field before he's ready and that would be a shame because Ernie has big time written all over him. If you're patient and let him grow at his own pace, he'll be a hell of a player at OLB or SS.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

Listed at: 5'11'' 231lbs 4.6(40)

Looks like a SS to me!

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
I think Sims is right up there with Woodson as an athletic talent that could make the move. I think that has to be the reason they are looking at him that close. Doesn't mean they go that way, but they have to look at him to compare to the other available safeties. Who would have thought Woodson would have made the adjustment so well?
I agree they have to do their "due diligence" on him and find out what he's got. But he has to be able to cover (and I'm not saying that he can't) to play the other Safety spot with Roy. Woody COULD cover and that is why he and Roy could work so well together. One or the other has to be the cover guy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
There's no way they are looking at him as a 3-4 lb, he just doesn't fit there. He's Dat and Coakley size. I think he ran better than a 4.6 though, thats pretty pedestrian for a guy his size. I think thats off.

marchetta

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
There's no way they are looking at him as a 3-4 lb, he just doesn't fit there. He's Dat and Coakley size. I think he ran better than a 4.6 though, thats pretty pedestrian for a guy his size. I think thats off.

Thehuddlereport has him listed @ 4.6(40), and nfldraftscout has him @ 4.5(40).