LB Jaylon Smith fined 26,739 for hit on Alvin Kamara

btcutter

Reaction score
It was close to a penalty and could have been called. I seem to remember Alvin ducking down but Jaylon should have been aware. Glad no penalty was called and kamara was uninjured

It was a penalty. Jaylon need to stop LAUNCHING himself at players especially leading with helmet.

John813

Reaction score
He did nail Kamara in the head. Say a fine isn't too bad for what could of happened(15 yard penalty/1st down).

tm1119

Reaction score
Dumb rule and dumb fine. I had a chance to talk to the great Roy Williams #31 a couple of years ago...he said he could not have played in the NFL as he would have been out of the league with all of the rules. That was before this dumb rule.

The rules aren’t what would/did get Roy out of the league...it was his diet and lack of athletic ability.

And the only thing “dumb” is the thinking that brain damage is a part of football. Everyone should be for that type of hit being outlawed

aikemirv

Reaction score
Umm I think we all expected the NFL front office to come knocking after that hit. He demolished another NFL Star player. Just pay it....it was a helmet to helmet and he did launch. Jerry...write a check.
Yep there was no doubt that one was coming.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The rules aren’t what would/did get Roy out of the league...it was his diet and lack of athletic ability.

And the only thing “dumb” is the thinking that brain damage is a part of football. Everyone should be for that type of hit being outlawed
Exactly - no reason to be going after somebodys head. That should never be part of the game!

cern

Reaction score
the only fair way to call a lot of penalties of this sort would be to know the intent of the tackler. but that's impossible. playing at the speed which the game moves make these kinds of penalties very difficult to assess. it's not the tackler's fault the tacklee ducked and lowered his head.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'd like to take the illegal hits out of the defense, but I still want them to continue crushing people. I liked it, probably would've even if it was against our guys, this is a contact sport and sometimes, you just can't prevent certain hits. Continue being violent mr Smith, continue being dominant Cowboys defense, let's go!!!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dumb rule and dumb fine. I had a chance to talk to the great Roy Williams #31 a couple of years ago...he said he could not have played in the NFL as he would have been out of the league with all of the rules. That was before this dumb rule.
That's just idiotic. People who hit with the head and go for the head are just lazy tacklers who want the big hit rather than make a tackle. That was not how the game was designed to be played. What is dumb is that players don't have enough sense not to do it and it has to be part of the rules!

tm1119

Reaction score
the only fair way to call a lot of penalties of this sort would be to know the intent of the tackler. but that's impossible. playing at the speed which the game moves make these kinds of penalties very difficult to assess. it's not the tackler's fault the tacklee ducked and lowered his head.

Tell me where Kamara lowers his head. He sees Jaylon coming and turns his head away at the last second. Jaylon started at the head level and finished there. If Kamara didn’t see Jaylon that hit would have probably been square in the ear hole and much worse.

I’m not making Jaylon out to be a dirty player either, I don’t think it was intentional at all. And it was still a great play for him to fly to the ball like that. But doesn’t change the fact that he needs to cut launching with the crown of his helmet like that out of his game. It’s unnecessary, can hurt the team, plus potentially hurt himself and the other player.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Any fine for yanking Dak's facemask non-call?
How many fines for facemasks even if called a penalty have seen. I have never seen or heard of one
Leading with the crown of helmet is definitely a fine. I was surprised it didn’t get called in the game
In the college game it would have been reviewed and smith would have been ejected
I know it’s not the same rules

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Some of the responses in this thread do nothing to dispell the notion we have the dumbest fans in all of sports.

cern

Reaction score

Tell me where Kamara lowers his head. He sees Jaylon coming and turns his head away at the last second. Jaylon started at the head level and finished there. If Kamara didn’t see Jaylon that hit would have probably been square in the ear hole and much worse.

I’m not making Jaylon out to be a dirty player either, I don’t think it was intentional at all. And it was still a great play for him to fly to the ball like that. But doesn’t change the fact that he needs to cut launching with the crown of his helmet like that out of his game. It’s unnecessary, can hurt the team, plus potentially hurt himself and the other player.

upon further review, it does not appear he ducked.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Umm I think we all expected the NFL front office to come knocking after that hit. He demolished another NFL Star player. Just pay it....it was a helmet to helmet and he did launch. Jerry...write a check.
yeah, if Jerry doesn't pay it he should get shot.

Reaction score
It was clearly a penalty. And it should be. We wouldn't want that done to one of our guys. I'm ok with the fine.

That being said, I love the intensity. Jaylon just needs to clean it up a bit.

cowboyec

Reaction score
were any players on the saints fined for rag-dollin' TE Blake Jarwin out of bounds???

Jaylon will clean that up but there were some on their side that were missed as well.

:starspin:IT WAS NOT AN UP-SET:starspin:

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
upon further review, it does not appear he ducked.

It looks to me like Jaylon's INTENT was to hit him with the shoulder. It looks like Jaylon may have underestimated Kamara's speed, though. Jaylon threw his shoulder out there but Kamara was already in line with Jaylon's helmet.