LB Jaylon Smith fined 26,739 for hit on Alvin Kamara

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Obviously getting hit in the head is going to happen and thus the hard helmet-the problem is when players began to use it as a weapon to tackle-not the intention of the hard helmet!

They should have nipped this in the bud many years ago but were not aware of the long term effects of the shots to the head!
I think if players were wearing leather helmets or no helmets, they would not tackle the same way now and would avoid these situations altogether. Who would lead with their head with no helmet? No one.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think if players were wearing leather helmets or no helmets, they would not tackle the same way now and would avoid these situations altogether. Who would lead with their head with no helmet? No one.
It works in rugby...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The problem with this statement is that “lowering your head” is a football instinct.
Launching and leading with the crown of the helmet is bad fundamentals

Players are taught to put the facemask on the football.... head up and wrap

You can get lower than the RB but you can't put your head down ..... that is dangerous

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
His tackle on Kamara on the goal line was the play of the year...... he covered so much turf and layed the wood

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Just saw a clip of the last Eagles game where Zeke leaped over the dude. The defender led with the crown of the helmet. Didn’t see anyone complaining about that back then.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
For both offense and defense. For Jaylon, he's flying to the ball. You fly head first, not rear first. Same thing with ball carriers diving forward for more yardage. If you move forward with any lean forward, your helmet leads. That's the way human bodies are configured.

Unfortunately, I think that under the new helmet rule that kind of "flying to the ball" is now illegal in the NFL whether or not you make contact with a ball carrier's helmet.

No Fun League. Rules arbitrarily applied.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
At about 8:30 into the second QTR Davis did the same thing to Ezee....no flag......no fine.

Just sayin......

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dumb rule and dumb fine. I had a chance to talk to the great Roy Williams #31 a couple of years ago...he said he could not have played in the NFL as he would have been out of the league with all of the rules. That was before this dumb rule.
no, it's justified. I'm all for getting rid of the bs soft penalties, but leading with a helmet when you have all the time to simply hit with your shoulder or wrap is stupid.