Leadership is an excuse

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito;2408085 said:
lol. the locker room was totally fractured. they were having so many problems during the year. strahans SKILL on the defensive line helped them win, not his ability to say stuff. you lead by example. i guess he does make a good leader. he dominates on the field. isn't it funny how the best players on the team are somehow named "leaders". they should just be called really good players.

The lockerroom was fractured for the first 4-5 games then they put it all together game by game, ONE game at a time by playing like a TEAM.

Strahan was constantly and consistently seen on the sidelines talking with players on defense AND offense. That's a leadership quality, right there.

Ya, like you said..you do lead by example. If leadership doesn't count for anything, why would you even say "you lead by example?" You just contradicted yourself.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Sarge;2408232 said:
The lockerroom was fractured for the first 4-5 games then they put it all together game by game, ONE game at a time by playing like a TEAM.

Strahan was constantly and consistently seen on the sidelines talking with players on defense AND offense. That's a leadership quality, right there.

Ya, like you said..you do lead by example. If leadership doesn't count for anything, why would you even say "you lead by example?" You just contradicted yourself.

maybe i should have said you lead by what you do on the field. thats the only leadership i really believe matters.

Wood

Reaction score
who ever does not think leadership is one if not the most important factor in success...then they have never worked for successful company or played on a championship team. I have been on both sides of the coin and can tell you first hand that strong leadership was mandatory.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito;2408243 said:
maybe i should have said you lead by what you do on the field. .

You're still contradicting yourself with that statement.

When you say "you lead by" whatever, you're acknowledging that "leading and/or "leadership" matters, which, I guess you've finally done in a round about way....but...

Why else would you make a statement that "you lead by..." if leadership doesn't matter?

Like I said, leadership isn't the only problem with this team, but it is an element to be addressed.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Alexander;2408046 said:
Yes, they do. Even our great teams had to have great leaders like Irvin. There has to be a lightning rod; a player who not only excels but inspires others to his level. Or in the absence of that, the coach has to hit the right buttons.

I have yet to see a team without direction, either from a coach or players, accomplish much of anything. They are no different than anyone else in terms of the way they go about their jobs. Some individuals are simply around to cash a check and need the kick in the rear, whether it come from a coach chewing them out or another player holding them accountable.

We have not had both sides of the equation on this football team in quite some time. Weak coach, weak and talentless players with Campo. Strong coach, still the same weak player leadership under Parcells. And now we have Phillips' velvet touch making the same players who overachieved last season right back to where they were under Parcells.

We were once rumored to be interested in a Ray Lewis type. I had high hopes for Zach Thomas, but he has shown he is too respectful of other "leaders" here. Tony Romo still needs to assert his leadership as well.

It does matter.

I disagree...talk is cheap, they can scream and yell and try to give a motivational speech all they want. I mean, its not bad and i am sure it gives the guys around you a little excitement, but Ray Lewis can't make Ed Reed perform.

Is the lack of INTs from no leadership?
The lack of blocking?

Like how about our guys use their newly found contracts as motivation? How about the thoughts of winning a Super Bowl being used as motivation?

It doesn't matter quite as much as some want you to believe. Its an excuse.

visionary

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2407947 said:
These players like 30 year old men who have been playing football all their lives. Do they really need to have someone else to motivate them?

a leader is a person who will REFUSE to give up in the face of adversity AND will EXPECT his team mates to do the same.

who is that on this team?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
visionary;2408317 said:
a leader is a person who will REFUSE to give up in the face of adversity AND will EXPECT his team mates to do the same.

who is that on this team?

Good question.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2408304 said:
Like how about our guys use their newly found contracts as motivation?

You really don't know much about human behavior, do you?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2407947 said:
These players like 30 year old men who have been playing football all their lives. Do they really need to have someone else to motivate them?

if you had a multi million dollar signing bonus and multi million dollars guaranteed I pretty sure it would be hard to motivate you also....hell the league min is good for a lot of people.

Mansta54

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2408774 said:
don't you think thats a little naive?

I think it's extremely naive!!! I've never played on a team that didn't have leaders or motivators on it, even at the college level. Leadership and motivation are 2 of many key factors in sports...

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Mansta54;2408779 said:
I think it's extremely naive!!! I've never played on a team that didn't have leaders or motivators on it, even at the college level. Leadership and motivation are 2 of many key factors in sports...
obviously, im not saying neither is useful, im just saying right now its our teams excuse for losing.

I mean come on. They've been playing it their entire life, do they really need someone to yell in their face to get going? Then thats pathetic.

Even Zach Thomas said if these guys need someone else to get motivated than that's not saying much about the player.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2408781 said:
obviously, im not saying neither is useful, im just saying right now its our teams excuse for losing.

I mean come on. They've been playing it their entire life, do they really need someone to yell in their face to get going? Then thats pathetic.

Even Zach Thomas said if these guys need someone else to get motivated than that's not saying much about the player.

pretty much. people that need motivation from others already have issues of their own. we DO have the dumbest players in the league though. maybe they really do need a leader. someone to tell them whats at stake. not many teams have as dumb of players as us though.