League hypocrisy on Suspensions

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So I heard on a show this morning how it is looking more and more like Rashee Rice wont miss time THIS YEAR.

We have ak seen the video, how is it possible this guy is not on the Commissioners Exempt list for this season until his legal issues are dealt with. Regardless of what he ultimately please down to, we saw what happened.

Also, I have heard almost no pushback to him being on the field. Not in the media, not from fans...as a matter of fact, Ive heard next to nothing on him at all. Now just imagine if CeeDee Lamb had been the person that did this. You wouldnt go a day without heard spending an entire segment on this. Another example of differences in how players from different teams are dealt with... or even owners that quietly had their "Massage," case go away without a peep.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So I heard on a show this morning how it is looking more and more like Rashee Rice wont miss time THIS YEAR.

We have ak seen the video, how is it possible this guy is not on the Commissioners Exempt list for this season until his legal issues are dealt with. Regardless of what he ultimately please down to, we saw what happened.

Also, I have heard almost no pushback to him being on the field. Not in the media, not from fans...as a matter of fact, Ive heard next to nothing on him at all. Now just imagine if CeeDee Lamb had been the person that did this. You wouldnt go a day without heard spending an entire segment on this. Another example of differences in how players from different teams are dealt with... or even owners that quietly had their "Massage," case go away without a peep.
I think they're slower to react I mean it seems like ever since elliott's ridiculous suspension they've changed a lot I think they're gonna wait and see what the court system does and they're gonna take longer investigating if you're talking about rice and some other players he will end up getting suspended probably but it just isn't immediate they're gonna wait as a matter of fact with Elliott even after the investigation he shouldn't have been suspended but they took a while before they decided to suspend him.. You're saying it's always been inconsistent and all over the place but it almost seemed like Elias suspension and all the blowback it got made the league a little more apprehensive about doing it right away without a better investigation because this stuff just gets thrown all over the social media...

blueblood70

Reaction score

Right but he might miss the first six games of next year though they're a little slow to do this I think they're gonna investigate and see how much of it in the court system is handled and then they'll come to a decision but they're gonna take a little more time..

Creeper

Reaction score
Goodell has not been a fair commissioner since he fined the Cowboys and Commanders (that's what they were back then) for violating the salary CAP after the CBA expired and their was no salary CAP. He did is at the insistence of the Giants owner, and pal. I don't expect him to be fair now.

Also, I think the NFL has backed off on punishments in recent years because he pressure from the public has been somewhat mitigated by all the NFL's public service programs. 5 years ago the NFL may have suspended Rice for the year because media pressure would have dictated it.

pansophy

Reaction score
I would argue it’s about press. Cowboys get more press for lesser problems and therefore their actions have more positive or negative impact on the league. If the standard is behavior detrimental to the league then perhaps we should be looking at leniency against how much negative press has been generated.

Zeke generated a lot of negative press.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

They have been more lenient on suspensions it seems. Even the Cowboys I just knew Sam Williams would get suspended. Damien Wilson too.

I think they realized their error with Zeke and since then have been handling things far better.

rambo2

Reaction score

The Chiefs have quite a few criminals.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Goofsmell is still a total POS. and the NFL is about as clean as a used diaper.

erod

Reaction score

If you're paying attention in America these days, we don't punish anybody for anything anymore. Ever. Do whatever you want.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would argue it’s about press. Cowboys get more press for lesser problems and therefore their actions have more positive or negative impact on the league. If the standard is behavior detrimental to the league then perhaps we should be looking at leniency against how much negative press has been generated.

Zeke generated a lot of negative press.
wth are you talking about? So you are saying since the Cowboys generate more press, a player for this team should be punished more severely than a player on the Bucs, since they generate little press?

Zeke generated PRESS, but then again, our ball boys generate press.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If you're paying attention in America these days, we don't punish anybody for anything anymore. Ever. Do whatever you want.
really? tell that to those smash and grabbers, one of whom just got a 10 years prison sentence.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They have been more lenient on suspensions it seems. Even the Cowboys I just knew Sam Williams would get suspended. Damien Wilson too.

I think they realized their error with Zeke and since then have been handling things far better.
oh yea, wth happened with Williams. Hes the one who wrecked his car while speeding, yes?

pansophy

Reaction score
wth are you talking about? So you are saying since the Cowboys generate more press, a player for this team should be punished more severely than a player on the Bucs, since they generate little press?

Zeke generated PRESS, but then again, our ball boys generate press.
I think that's what the league is looking at regardless of whether players or owners feel like it's fair. They didn't do crap to Zeke initially but he just kept having negative press so they finally decided to suspend him after a few different events happened. The only reason the league does anything at all is because of negative press / PR problems. They don't actually care about bad behavior -- see the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It's entirely about PR problems and the Cowboys get attention. So I think it's just what it is.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
really? tell that to those smash and grabbers, one of whom just got a 10 years prison sentence.
they stole almost $2 million worth of stuff.
I guess there are limits.
but on "small" stuff (under $1000 or so) he's absolutely right and we both know it.

Of course, it's not small cost in the end. Businesses don't eat that, they pass that cost on to paying suckers like you and me.
But @erod is unfortunately very correct in his assertion.