League-Wide Final 53 Cuts

DFWJC

Reaction score
"Final" cuts are due this Saturday (Sept 5).

Here's a thread to post notable cuts around the league.

Some teams have already started. (The 49ers released Darnell Dockett, for example)

Mods can move this to the NFL Zone if it doesn't quite make the cut for our fan Zone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
fwiw, Philly says then play to cut all the way to 53 today.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably won't be a lot of news until tomorrow. Teams looking for trades. What players can be snuck onto the PS, which ones they take a chance on losing on waivers.
Film sessions going on. And a lot of meetings.
OC and DC arguing what they need and want as to what players to keep.

Norm Hitzges was just talking about this. They get down to the last few spots. Every coach makes his plea. But then they all will look at Bisachia, as to who he wants for ST's.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's so stupid. There's an art and strategy to when you make cuts.

Of course, Chip is the best coach in football, so there's nothing anybody can do to stop him.

I'm not sure if the 24 hour waiver period applies to the entire league beginning at a certain time (say, from 4 pm EST Sat)
Or does it apply to each player as they are released.

If it's the latter, there could be a first mover advantage to drop a potential PS squad guy early before everyone has made their final cut decisions and cleared room.
Plus many don't want to use their waiver position too soon.

In this case, if you cut a marginal player now, his waiver cycle would end before most teams have even cut their rosters.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the 24 hour waiver period applies to the entire league beginning at a certain time (say, from 4 pm EST Sat)

If it's the latter, there could be a first mover advantage to drop a potential PS squad guy early before everyone has made their final cut decisions and cleared room.

In this case, if you cut a marginal player now, his waiver cycle would end before most teams have even cut their rosters.

So you think Kelly is trying to one up the rest of the teams by cutting early ?

dallasdave

Reaction score
I really don't know, but it fits his DNA.

Can you get info on this 24 hour rule ? This might benefit Dallas to make some cuts today if that is the case. Don't know if cutting early gets you to a place where you can put people on practice team quicker ?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does not apply to individual players as released. Deadline for all of them to become URFA will be 4PM EST Sunday.
I would think that applies for final cuts.

During TC I believe its the 24 hours deal, or maybe by a certain time the next day.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's so stupid. There's an art and strategy to when you make cuts.

Of course, Chip is the best coach in football, so there's nothing anybody can do to stop him.

I think you go overboard with how bad the Eagles would be but looking at some of their cuts thus far, one area I think they have a big issue is OL. They have absolutely no depth at all. They made two back ups last year in Barbre and Gardner and made them starting OGs and then replaced them with slop. They lose an OL or two, they are in deep doo doo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Does not apply to individual players as released. Deadline for all of them to become URFA will be 4PM EST Sunday.

Wasn't sure, but that makes sense, as it would be way too confusing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can you get info on this 24 hour rule ? This might benefit Dallas to make some cuts today if that is the case. Don't know if cutting early gets you to a place where you can put people on practice team quicker ?

Sounds like it's not on an individual basis...so the semi far-fetched theory won't apply.

erod

Reaction score
I think you go overboard with how bad the Eagles would be but looking at some of their cuts thus far, one area I think they have a big issue is OL. They have absolutely no depth at all. They made two back ups last year in Barbre and Gardner and made them starting OGs and then replaced them with slop. They lose an OL or two, they are in deep doo doo.

I judge most teams by three things: quarterback, offensive line, and pass rush. That's the NFL now. Philly is 1 of 3 on that front.

Plus, with Philly, there's also style of play, and theirs doesn't hold up. It wears down their already thin roster.