Leave vs Keep

Sully

Reaction score
The list is far longer than what I am going to say. Jerry Jones keeping one for the other.

** The obvious one is letting Jimmy Johnson go for Switzer
** Letting go Cooper and keeping Gallup
** As it is playing out, letting Kellen Moore's offense leave to keep McCarthy's offense

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jimmy left because he wanted to go.
He orchestrated his way out of Dallas and knew what buttons to push to get Jerry to release him with a cool fat check to boot.
There's a lot I can fault Jerry for, but getting rid of Jimmy prematurely isn't one of them.
Jimmy wanted to retire to Miami all along. With Don Shula nearing retirement, Jimmy knew when and how to pick his spots.

Okay, you can return to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

sunalsorises

Reaction score
There has to be better examples. Reports suggest Cooper was not a good locker room guy and Moore had a few season to McCarthy's few games.

Maybe letting an old Emmitt go for a useless Troy Hambrick. Possibly not letting a broken down Romo go through the playoffs over Dak who could have started the following year.

At any rate, I think Jerry's bigger mistakes have been who he has kept.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There has to be better examples. Reports suggest Cooper was not a good locker room guy and Moore had a few season to McCarthy's few games.

Maybe letting an old Emmitt go for a useless Troy Hambrick. Possibly not letting a broken down Romo go through the playoffs over Dak who could have started the following year.

What?

Not letting Emmitt go sooner was the mistake. Emmitt wasn't helping the team win games, at that point. He was dried up.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He orchestrated his way out of Dallas and knew what buttons to push to get Jerry to release him with a cool fat check to boot.
There's a lot I can fault Jerry for, but getting rid of Jimmy prematurely isn't one of them.
Jimmy wanted to retire to Miami all along. With Don Shula nearing retirement, Jimmy knew when and how to pick his spots.

I believe there's more to the story than how you referenced it. Jerry Jones, on numerous occasions belittled Johnson's role in the Cowboys success by stating any coach could have won with the team Jones built. You can't consistently take credit for another man's work without him eventually wanting to leave.

I dont remember ever hearing other owners say this stuff.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I think it was more mutual
And wish they could have worked out there differences, at least for 2 more years so we could have won 4 in a row!

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Much rather have kept Emmitt over Troy for sure. I think he had a chance to stay but I don't think he got the warm and fuzzys to stay.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What a bunch of complete nonsense.

Jimmy wanted out only because he was sick of dealing with the lunatic owner. Otherwise he never would have left a dynasty nor turned down a chance to three-peat.

I blame Jerry and anyone with the slightest clue agrees.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Exactly. Jimmy perfectly played the hostile “let me go or I’ll make your life absolutely miserable and you will rue the day” type of power play that we see from players all the time.

I loved Jommy but he was a miserable sob no doubt.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Jimmy wanted out only because he was sick of dealing with the lunatic owner. Otherwise he never would have left a dynasty nor turned down a chance to three-peat.

Risen, this is established well trod ground.

The entire league knew and knows what happened with Jimmy but we, as fans, don’t often care about anything other than our own own fan-filtered opinions.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I believe there's more to the story than how you referenced it. Jerry Jones, on numerous occasions belittled Johnson's role in the Cowboys success by stating any coach could have won with the team Jones built. You can't consistently take credit for another man's work without him eventually wanting to leave.

I dont remember ever hearing other owners say this stuff.
Check the timing of that quote.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

You. Always with the sarcasm. :laugh: