Leave vs Keep

Bigdog

Reaction score
There has to be better examples. Reports suggest Cooper was not a good locker room guy and Moore had a few season to McCarthy's few games.

Maybe letting an old Emmitt go for a useless Troy Hambrick. Possibly not letting a broken down Romo go through the playoffs over Dak who could have started the following year.

At any rate, I think Jerry's bigger mistakes have been who he has kept.
Well for starters keeping himself as GM.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There has to be better examples. Reports suggest Cooper was not a good locker room guy and Moore had a few season to McCarthy's few games.

Maybe letting an old Emmitt go for a useless Troy Hambrick. Possibly not letting a broken down Romo go through the playoffs over Dak who could have started the following year.

Hahaha...same Romoholics still living on false dreams. Romo couldn't scramble for his life anymore in 2016, hence why he got his back broken. Romo would not have lasted through the playoffs, much less perform as well as Dak did as a rookie against the Packers and their SB proven QB in Aaron Rodgers. Dak went toe-to-toe with Rodgers, and Dak helped lead the team back down 18 points halfway through the 2nd quarter only to the the game 31-31 with 35 seconds left in regulation. That's because the crooked officials were helping out the Packers all game long. Romo would have been broken in half in the first half. Guaranteed.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Well he was a diamond surrounded by trash at that point. :)
He probably wasn't that far off. Adams and Galloway were the only good players there. Honorable mention to Gurode(Wasn't good until he was switched to C a few years later)

On the defensive side Woodson, Ellis, Glover, Williams, Coakley, Nguyen all good to great players. :)

plasticman

Reaction score
The only decision of relevance would be to keep the owner but lose the GM.

Be happy with the money. Let the coaches and players have the spotlight and the credit. Find someone who loves the Cowboys and would work 24 hour a day to make them the best if that were humanly possible, someone that would leave no stone unturned. Make the greatest decision in Cowboys history since Tex Schram hired Tom Landry and find a deserving, talented, credentialed NFL architect and make him your GM.

Blackrain

Reaction score
We kept Randy Gregory way too long. He should have been shown the door much sooner

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Hahaha...same Romoholics still living on false dreams. Romo couldn't scramble for his life anymore in 2016, hence why he got his back broken. Romo would not have lasted through the playoffs, much less perform as well as Dak did as a rookie against the Packers and their SB proven QB in Aaron Rodgers. Dak went toe-to-toe with Rodgers, and Dak helped lead the team back down 18 points halfway through the 2nd quarter only to the the game 31-31 with 35 seconds left in regulation. That's because the crooked officials were helping out the Packers all game long. Romo would have been broken in half in the first half. Guaranteed.
Romo may have lost that game by even more and threw three interceptions in the process. Who knows. I am simply saying I would have started the experienced QB in the playoffs who looked pretty good driving down the field in his last drive. There is a reason no Rookie QB has ever even started a Super Bowl. It would have been nice if Dak were the first but the odds were against it.

exciter

Reaction score
I believe there's more to the story than how you referenced it. Jerry Jones, on numerous occasions belittled Johnson's role in the Cowboys success by stating any coach could have won with the team Jones built. You can't consistently take credit for another man's work without him eventually wanting to leave.

I dont remember ever hearing other owners say this stuff.
Which was proven correct when they won with Switzer!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thus, Jimmy’s prediction that anyone could win a SB with that team came true!
Well, you got me there. But, once the salary cap kicked in and that team dissipated, we’ve suffered through 28 years devoid of any real playoff success. The only constant- Jerry Jones and his insufferable belief he's a GM that can build a SB winning team alone.

Creeper

Reaction score
Always try to improve at every position if you can. Everyone is expendable if a better option can be acquired. Look at the Eagles. They have Javon Hargrave and Fletcher Cox, two of the best DTs in the league and in consecutive years they drafted Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter. They needed a WR, the get Brown. They needed CBs they got Slay and Bradberry. They need a safety they get Byard. And even after getting Brown, they still got Smith.

That is a front office that wants to win and will do what it takes to win. The Cowboys cut all their Centers and LBs, and then sign guys off the street to fill in when they need a backup.

The Cowboys trade one of the best WRs in the league away for a 5th round pick. Then trade a 4th for a 3rd string QB. This is why San Francisco and Philadelphia are both better than Dallas. The Cowboys can use an all pro-CB, but they will not make a deal and if they do, Jerry will get fleeced.

exciter

Reaction score
Well, you got me there. But, once the salary cap kicked in and that team dissipated, we’ve suffered through 28 years devoid of any real playoff success. The only constant- Jerry Jones and his insufferable belief he's a GM that can build a SB winning team alone.
Which is exactly what the salary cap was designed to do.
And looking at it rationally, McClay has been the GM in everything but name only the last 5 or 6 years!

plymkr

Reaction score

Jerry’s biggest mistake is keeping himself as the GM. His 2nd biggest mistake is having Stephen in the front office. Stephen has absolutely no qualifications to be an NFL executive.