LeBron James vs Michael Jordan

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The debate of the best player between will likely never be settled but count yourself fortunate if you've had a chance witness BOTH players career. I honestly believe you would live through at least one, maybe more generations to witness two of the greatest NBA players in history. But the question everyone will ask, gun to the head, which one you choose to start a team?

Michael Jordan

LeBron James

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
MJ will always be the greatest to me. That debate ended when LBJ formed an All Star team, held a pep rally saying they’d win 7 and then lost to the Mavs with “Dirk and dudes.” MJ would never let that happen. His mental toughness and will were unparalleled. LBJ is great but his occasional bouts of whining and wanting to jump to other teams bothers me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
One can't compare LeBron to Michael. Different era, different play. LeBron is a better rebounder & passer beating Michael by more than a rebound & assist per game & far exceeding him on a rate basis. Michael was a consistently better defender as his 9 All Defensive First Team honors show. But LeBron is just as ferocious & would have looked a lot better in recent seasons playing next to All Defensive team mainstays Pippen & Rodman rather than Irving & Love.

Even after LeBron won 2 rings in Miami & even after he escaped a 3-1 series deficit to beat the best regular season team in league history & bring home a championship to Cleveland, he's still just just halfway to Michael's title total. Michael will stay ahead of his challenger LeBron by virtue of his perfect 6-0 record in the Finals. A clean Finals record hasn't been possible for LeBron since he was 22 & lost to a sweep vs Spurs.

Jordan didn't reach his first Finals until he was 27. Both him & LeBron both won their first Championship at the same age. LeBron has frayed consistently further than Michael into the playoffs, reaching more conference semi finals,conference finals, & NBA Finals than the consensus GOAT.

Wherever LeBron goes/plays, you're almost guaranteed a Championship trophy will be hoisted in that city. How is Michael's record/stat in that department?!

JustChip

Reaction score
MJ will always be the greatest to me. That debate ended when LBJ formed an All Star team, held a pep rally saying they’d win 7 and then lost to the Mavs with “Dirk and dudes.” MJ would never let that happen. His mental toughness and will were unparalleled. LBJ is great but his occasional bouts of whining and wanting to jump to other teams bothers me.

I agree. LBJ is probably the better pure skills player, but as a total player, it's MJ hands down. There is no doubt MJ had better talent around him than LBJ has had in Cleveland, but talent alone doesn't win.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Completely different players. Kobe is much more comparable to Jordan than Lebron. Lebron is more comparable to Magic.

To me, having had the opportunity to watch all 4 of those players, Jordan is King. What makes Jordan different from everyone else is the he almost seemed unbeatable. Like winning a series was forgone conclusion.

In terms of skill sets, Lebron is probably the best thats every played. He can point and facilitate, he has the scoring mentality to play Hero Ball if he absolutely has to. One thing I believe Lebron deserves credit for is smashing the Hero Ball mentality thats lots of other talented tried to mimic from Jordan and failed. The NBA is a better game due to Lebron and I think he deserves a ton of credit for that

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree. LBJ is probably the better pure skills player, but as a total player, it's MJ hands down. There is no doubt MJ had better talent around him than LBJ has had in Cleveland, but talent alone doesn't win.
He had good talent in Cleveland. Just poor team construction. Love wasnt a fit. For that 3rd Max spot, they needed a player that brings more to the game defensively. Love was almost unplayable VS GS

Dont know if you can really fault them for that. Love was All NBA in Minnesota. Sometimes it just doesnt work out

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
One can't compare LeBron to Michael. Different era, different play. LeBron is a better rebounder & passer beating Michael by more than a rebound & assist per game & far exceeding him on a rate basis. Michael was a consistently better defender as his 9 All Defensive First Team honors show. But LeBron is just as ferocious & would have looked a lot better in recent seasons playing next to All Defensive team mainstays Pippen & Rodman rather than Irving & Love.

Even after LeBron won 2 rings in Miami & even after he escaped a 3-1 series deficit to beat the best regular season team in league history & bring home a championship to Cleveland, he's still just just halfway to Michael's title total. Michael will stay ahead of his challenger LeBron by virtue of his perfect 6-0 record in the Finals. A clean Finals record hasn't been possible for LeBron since he was 22 & lost to a sweep vs Spurs.

Jordan didn't reach his first Finals until he was 27. Both him & LeBron both won their first Championship at the same age. LeBron has frayed consistently further than Michael into the playoffs, reaching more conference semi finals,conference finals, & NBA Finals than the consensus GOAT.

Wherever LeBron goes/plays, you're almost guaranteed a Championship trophy will be hoisted in that city. How is Michael's record/stat in that department?!

That last rhetorical question is absurdly disingenuous.

Jordan effectively played for one team his entire career...the Bulls. He sat out three seasons and then played with the Wizards his last two seasons at the age of 38 and 39.

Lebron changed teams in his prime at 26 and then 30.

Hadenough

Reaction score
MJ is the greatest! Anyone that ever watched him play knows why they called his shoes called Air Jordan! The dude was incredible when he was driving and leaped at the top of the key. Not only that he could just score from anywhere and take over the end of big games! Clutch as they come!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When the Bulls couldn't get past the Pistons those early years, MJ never left to form a super team. He stayed and played through the tough years.

MJ for me.
Im an MJ guy, but the Bulls gave him the tools to win championships. They won 50+ games the year after his first retirement. Cleveland failed Lebron miserably his first go around in Cleveland.

Cebrin

Reaction score
The game has changed so much that it's a bit ot a mute argument. I watched both, and I'd pick MJ. Stats will only tell you so much. Russell Westbrook gets triple doubles almost every game, but he isn't a 1/4 of the player Lebron James is.

MJ can do anything Lebron can do, minus bulldoze his way to the basket. Jordan used finesse. For me, the separation is Jordan's defense, efficiency, and killer mentality.

Lebron is a remarkable guy, and well worthy of being known as an all time great, and even as the G.O.A.T. He's just not my G.O.A.T., but he's certainly earned my respect.

I hate when people mention the MAVS beating as a knock on Lebron. That MAVS team was destined that year. They swept Kobe on their way to beating Lebron.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/michael-jordan-vs-lebron-james/
By Joe Posnanski
THE GREAT DEBATE
Would you rather have LeBron James or Michael Jordan?
Getty Images

Yes, you bet we’re going to wade into the Twitter-infested waters of Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James for the official title of best basketball player of all-time. Absolutely. Sharpen your social media knives. Prepare your snark weapons. But first, we must set some ground rules.

Ground rule No. 1: All of the people who think any of the following players are getting short shrift in this argument …

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Larry Bird

Kobe Bryant

Wilt Chamberlain

Tim Duncan

Magic Johnson

Shaquille O’Neal

Hakeem Olajuwon

Oscar Robertson

Bill Russell

Jerry West

… your protest has been noted and your strenuous objections have been overruled.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The debate of the best player between will likely never be settled but count yourself fortunate if you've had a chance witness BOTH players career. I honestly believe you would live through at least one, maybe more generations to witness two of the greatest NBA players in history. But the question everyone will ask, gun to the head, which one you choose to start a team?

Michael Jordan

LeBron James

MJ. While Lebron is the more physically imposing player, MJ made those around him better. LeBron just uses his supporting cast to let him get his stats.

MJ was 6-0 in finals. LeBron is 3-5 in finals.

I'll take the championships, LeBron can have the records...

jrumann59

Reaction score
MJ - played in tougher defensive era. LBJ or Curry would not survive in the late 80's 90's style basketball. Back then you strived to keep your opponents under 100 pts per game and they were not allowed to play zone.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
MJ due to the fact that he wasn't nice to people on the court. LeBron is a great player but he sometimes does settle more than go for the kill.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
LeBron has had talent in Cleveland...you can't just ignore Kyrie. In fact, if those two had stayed together longer, they would have been one of the best duos in NBA history. There was definitely enough talent to contend during the last three years. If Kyrie and Love don't miss the 2015 Finals, I think they beat GS like they did in 2016. It took KD joining the Warriors to seal the deal.

But going back to the topic, I respect both but gimme MJ. The 6-0 Finals record AND both being 3-peats is a legacy that can't be beaten no matter how many Finals LeBron makes.

Game-wise, I prefer MJ as well. Better shooter, better overall scorer. LeBron is the better passer but when the game is on the line, I would be much more confident with the ball in MJ's hands.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only people who should be commenting on this thread are fans who actually witnessed both careers. If you didn't see Jordon , then you haven't any idea what your talking about.

IMO, Lebron is the more physically gifted. The game comes easy to him and he plays like it most of the time. The series against Boston where he put the team on his back and carried them is what Jordan did basically every year on the Bulls. Jordan refused to lose and played with an intensity on offense and defense that we rarely see in Lebron. Jordan is hands down the more fierce competitor.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only people who should be commenting on this thread are fans who actually witnessed both careers. If you didn't see Jordon , then you haven't any idea what your talking about.

IMO, Lebron is the more physically gifted. The game comes easy to him and he plays like it most of the time. The series against Boston where he put the team on his back and carried them is what Jordan did basically every year on the Bulls. Jordan refused to lose and played with an intensity on offense and defense that we rarely see in Lebron. Jordan is hands down the more fierce competitor.
I rooted against Jordan the last two titles when they were won 70+. Even when they dropped some dramatic games in the playoffs you still feeled a sense of doom, knowing he was just gonna win anyways

I wish those Jazz series would have went 7. They fought hard.