LeBron James vs Michael Jordan

jrumann59

Reaction score
LeBron has had talent in Cleveland...you can't just ignore Kyrie. In fact, if those two had stayed together longer, they would have been one of the best duos in NBA history. There was definitely enough talent to contend during the last three years. If Kyrie and Love don't miss the 2015 Finals, I think they beat GS like they did in 2016. It took KD joining the Warriors to seal the deal.

But going back to the topic, I respect both but gimme MJ. The 6-0 Finals record AND both being 3-peats is a legacy that can't be beaten no matter how many Finals LeBron makes.

Game-wise, I prefer MJ as well. Better shooter, better overall scorer. LeBron is the better passer but when the game is on the line, I would be much more confident with the ball in MJ's hands.
throw in how those egos worked too especially the second 3-Peat with Rodman. Guys like Curry and Lebron would be in body bags playing in the 90s. MJ would have the scoring record playing against the weak defenses of today's NBA

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The hardest thing about choosing one, you have to tear the other one down a bit and to me that's compromises the debate a bit if there, in fact, should be one. But it's interesting to hear couple legends ( Scottie Pippen and Isiah Thomas ) say James is a better player.

Just a side note on the upcoming final against the Warriors.......it's basically Lebron James against FOUR possible Warrior All-Stars. :omg:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The hardest thing about choosing one, you have to tear the other one down a bit and to me that's compromises the debate a bit if there, in fact, should be one. But it's interesting to hear couple legends ( Scottie Pippen and Isiah Thomas ) say James is a better player.

Just a side note on the upcoming final against the Warriors.......it's basically Lebron James against FOUR possible Warrior All-Stars. :omg:

I thought Thomas' take was silly.

He brought up defense being a deciding factor in favor of LeBron, but completely ignored the fact Jordan was a DPOY (multiple times?).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've watched both play their entire careers. I would say that Jordan is better then LBJ. However, if the question is, who is the greatest, I don't believe that either one of them is the GOAT.

JMO

jrumann59

Reaction score

Isiah friggin Thomas hates Jordan and Jordan hates him. I would not be surprised if Jordan started the whole Isiah is gay rumor. As for Pippen that is odd I know for most of his career he hated being Robin to MJs Batman. But when Pippen was the main guy in Chicago they gave the final shot to some European dude.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought Thomas' take was silly.

He brought up defense being a deciding factor in favor of LeBron, but completely ignored the fact Jordan was a DPOY (multiple times?).
Thomas hate Jordan. Thomas lead a freeze out of Jordan during Jordans first All Star, and Jordan kept Thomas off the Dream Team

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MJ is the first of his kind. He was a cultural and basketball phenomenon.
But he wasn't as dominant as LBJ is.
LBJ left CLE they became the worst team in the NBA.
He came back and they became NBA Champs.
MJ left Chicago they averaged 52 wins without him.

MJ shot only 33% from 3PT.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think there have been several players with better talent and skills than MJ since, LeBron for one, Kobe...but not sure any could will their teams to win like MJ did.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Charles Barkley & Dennis Rodman could team up& prolly consistently 'whup-up' on both of those dudes in lawn Jarts& probably even on Wednesday nite death match bowling league nites.o_O
:star::rolleyes::star:

*JORDAN*

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think there have been several players with better talent and skills than MJ since, LeBron for one, Kobe...but not sure any could will their teams to win like MJ did.

So true ........as if MJ ALWAYS had guarantee 10 points tucked away. Like emergency points used for saving games. When he decided to use them........not a damn thing you could do except watch.

Nav22

Reaction score
LeBron is built like Karl Malone with insane athletic ability, Magic's passing ability, Jordan's scoring ability and the ability to guard anyone on the court.

LeBron also has repeatedly shown the ability to drag a mediocre supporting cast to the Finals, something MJ could never do.

If I'm starting a franchise from scratch, I'll take LeBron all day.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
LeBron is built like Karl Malone with insane athletic ability, Magic's passing ability, Jordan's scoring ability and the ability to guard anyone on the court.

LeBron also has repeatedly shown the ability to drag a mediocre supporting cast to the Finals, something MJ could never do.

I always enjoyed watching me some Carl " mailman" Malone bringing it home and stuffing it all up in there:lmao:

Who had that Wicked foul-line hook shot? Back in the day,was that Dr.J?
I'd always tried to emulate that nonchalant slick move in Jr. High BB,before I'd foul outo_O

jrumann59

Reaction score

Easier to do when no one plays defense. Defense in the NBA today is a joke it is all about scoring. Imagine a guy like MJ facing the best Defense in the NBA today he would avg 40+ points a game.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If Jordan was playing in today's era, I take Jordan. Let's see how Lebron would do against teams back in the day when physical centers and power forwards were relevant. And players had to fight thru screens to get an open look on the perimeter, unlike now. Let's see how Lebron would do against those Piston teams who had guys like Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Rodman, Salley, to throw at him when he drove to the basket.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I'm a big NBA fan and grew up when Larry 'Legend' was the GOAT. So I can say that I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to watch MJ in his prime. The NBA is so much different today than it was back then. During MJ's prime, teams played defense and there was a price to pay if you showed someone up by beating your chest like you're King Kong. Today's NBA is full of prima donna's who are all about stats and less about being part of a team. Which brings be to my main point, tell me the one time that MJ went to his owner and cried about not having 'his' guys on the team? You can't. MJ played with the hands that he was dealt (literally...:p) and made them all better. And this is just my opinion but 'supplements' weren't a 'thing' during MJ's prime as they are today. You can't tell me that LeBaby has 'tested the waters'. If he were in the MLB, see Arod, he would be called out as a 'user' and have had at least three 30 For 30's produced already.

Give me the guy that makes everyone around him better and the guy who doesn't cry 'FOUL' after every missed shot.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If Jordan was playing in today's era, I take Jordan. Let's see how Lebron would do against teams back in the day when physical centers and power forwards were relevant. And players had to fight thru screens to get an open look on the perimeter, unlike now. Let's see how Lebron would do against those Piston teams who had guys like Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, Rodman, Salley, to throw at him when he drove to the basket.
Or some of the Knicks teams with Oakley, Mason, Smith with Patrick down low.

Nav22

Reaction score
Easier to do when no one plays defense. Defense in the NBA today is a joke it is all about scoring. Imagine a guy like MJ facing the best Defense in the NBA today he would avg 40+ points a game.
LOL the NBA is so much better now than it used to be. And there is no defense for LeBron James whatsoever, no matter what era he plays in.

Bigger, faster, MUCH more athletic and MUCH more talented players.

Remember "illegal defense"? That's what they called whenever a team either zoned up or used a big man to shade one side of the court without guarding anyone. That was ILLEGAL when MJ played and perfectly legal now.

I can't even imagine the damage LeBron could do if teams could ONLY play him 1-on-1 without a big man shading to his side.

You can stick with the 6'6" 200 lbs shooting guard who couldn't get to the Finals without Phil Jackson and an insane amount of talent around him (the '93-94 Bulls won 55 games and were 1 win away from the Conference Finals WITHOUT Jordan).

I'll stick with the NBA's Megatron who routinely carries garbage players and garbage coaches to the NBA Finals all by himself.

jrumann59

Reaction score
LOL the NBA is so much better now than it used to be. And there is no defense for LeBron James whatsoever, no matter what era he plays in.

Bigger, faster, MUCH more athletic and MUCH more talented players.

Remember "illegal defense"? That's what they called whenever a team either zoned up or used a big man to shade one side of the court without guarding anyone. That was ILLEGAL when MJ played and perfectly legal now.

I can't even imagine the damage LeBron could do if teams could ONLY play him 1-on-1 without a big man shading to his side.

You can stick with the 6'6" 200 lbs shooting guard who couldn't get to the Finals without Phil Jackson and an insane amount of talent around him (the '93-94 Bulls won 55 games and were 1 win away from the Conference Finals WITHOUT Jordan).

I'll stick with the NBA's Megatron who routinely carries garbage players and garbage coaches to the NBA Finals all by himself.
Yeah Ok you actually could guard guys 1 on 1 back then with hand checking and other means. I will take the guy that actually made his team mates better instead of jumping ship to go to an all-star team in Miami. You think Karl or Dennis or Charles could not guard LeBron.