Led Zeppelin debut album

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Skullmiester, Jan 20, 2019.

1. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

12,492 Messages
    20,650 Likes Received
    If you want the original front man to put on a show, look no further than Jim Morrison.

2. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

14,655 Messages
    27,915 Likes Received
    I've never been a huge Doors fan, but you can't deny his charisma.

Blackrain, Sarek and JohnnyTheFox like this.
  3. CouchCoach

12,492 Messages
    20,650 Likes Received
    Maybe front man isn't the right term for the ones you listed, more like showman.

I read an interview with Plant in RS many years ago about front men and he made an interesting comment. He said people come to hear our music performed differently since it is live; they do not come to see it. We perform our music with the best musicians in the world, that's what they come to see. I took that as why he really wasn't a showman and took his voice to be one of those instruments and I agree with that.

Guys like Mercury, Morrison, Cooper, Roth and Ozzie are more showmen than front men. I also think one of the developing problems with Van Halen was Roth's overshadowing the real star of the band and pulling attention away from him. I don't think Plant ever saw himself as the star, he reserved that for his friend, Page, and he was the first to call Bonham the best drummer in rock history. The last special he did on ACL, he would draw attention to his players. His respect for those that could really play was apparent.

The showmen you mention are in the minority, many more front men and women do not draw particular attention to themselves while performing live and see it more as a band presentation. But I like those showmen too, Alice Cooper was the best and most creative I'd ever seen and since he really didn't have a great voice, he needed that edge.

It's really semantics to me as I am not using the term front man as you are but more as to the contribution of that person to the overall effect of the music and in that area, Plant has no peer to me. His vocals were every bit as much of an instrument as Page's playing. I can listen to his voice soar on Immigrant Song over and over and never tire of it.

dreghorn2 and JohnnyTheFox like this.
  4. CouchCoach

12,492 Messages
    20,650 Likes Received
    Or lack of inhibitions. Morrison was different, I think they created the term performance art to describe him. He was a true artist.

5. Runwildboys

14,655 Messages
    27,915 Likes Received
    I agree, I think terminology is the only thing we're seeing differently.

What you're referring to as a front man, I simply think of as the lead singer. To me, a front man adds to the show, and gives the audience something to watch. He also expresses himself and creates the mood, visually passing on his excitement, sorrow, anger, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there's not a band out there I'd love to see more than Zep, in their prime. I say "in their prime" because I remember watching a show with Jason Bonham on drums, and he was the best part of the show. Page was sloppy, and Plant actually forgot the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. To be honest, when it comes to rock, I usually prefer the studio recording over live, but in all the live recordings I've heard, Zeppelin always had the perfect compromise between changing it up and not straying to far from the studio recording.

JohnnyTheFox and CouchCoach like this.
  6. jsb357

jsb357 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    IV
    I
    II
    III

JohnnyTheFox likes this.
  7. ThemDangMartians

ThemDangMartians Well-Known Member

1,254 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
  8. ThemDangMartians

ThemDangMartians Well-Known Member

1,254 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
  9. Runwildboys

14,655 Messages
    27,915 Likes Received
    My favorite. So raunchy!

10. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

8,913 Messages
    13,278 Likes Received
    Zeppelin is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

11. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

8,414 Messages
    12,999 Likes Received
    Led Zepp's debut album was the first 8-Track I ever bought with my own money.....lol
    I never get the chance to see them live, but did see Plant on his first solo tour. It was a great show, but he was in his refusal to play Zepp songs phase. Throughout the show, they would tease and play just a little bit of a Zepp song, then play something else. Everyone thought for sure they would play at least 1 or 2, but never did, kinda crappy after all the teasing. They did do a very cool, complete stage change and did a HoneyDrippers show in the middle, then changed the stage back.

12. Runwildboys

14,655 Messages
    27,915 Likes Received
    Anyone who disputes that has never actually heard them.

13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,049 Messages
    14,211 Likes Received
    They are still #1 and not even a close second in sight.

14. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,049 Messages
    14,211 Likes Received
    The doors were awesome.

15. MyBad

MyBad Active Member

115 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I wen to their show on 7/24/77 in Oakland Ca. Was a great time.

16. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

2,896 Messages
    5,845 Likes Received
    I've wondered what the band would have sounded like and what direction they'd have taken if they'd been able to get Steve Marriott to sing for them rather than Plant.....

JohnnyTheFox likes this.
  17. Sarek

Sarek Povar

4,769 Messages
    7,571 Likes Received
  18. JohnnyTheFox

JohnnyTheFox Achilleslastand

5,455 Messages
    7,274 Likes Received
    Yep Page also wanted Terry Reid as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Reid

Sarek and Silver Surfer like this.
  19. Skullmiester

Skullmiester Member

52 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Without Plant there's no Bonzo therefore I don't think it would have worked so instantly and spectacularly.

Runwildboys and JohnnyTheFox like this.
  20. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

2,896 Messages
    5,845 Likes Received
    Didn't know that. I'll have to listen to some of his work.

I'm fully aware that it wasn't his song to begin with, but Marriott's rendition of You Need Loving was mimicked so heavily by Plant on Whole Lotta Love that its actually funny to me. I would have loved to hear Marriott sing Whole Lotta Love with Page playing behind him. That would have been rich.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019