Lee and Witten gotta go

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As much as we all love Lee and Witten, keeping them around may do more harm than good in the locker room. We need as many McCarthy guys that are able bodied.

I know Lee and Witten would probably be good soldiers but their bodies are limited in the production they could give if the defense is a 4-3/3-4 hybrid and if they’re using the TE more in pass routes than traditional in line TE.

Jerry and Stephen will hate it but time to clear out anyone from 2010 or earlier. Except LP. The long snapper shouldn’t cause problems.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I would want Lee to stay. Witten needs to retire. No one talks about the LB corp needing work. Relying on Smith and LVE has big risk. LVE has a chronic health issue and played like stardom went to his head. Smith is just a flake with terrible technique. It is also clear to me that Smith does little prep. He plays like a guy with no clue what is going on.

How can you rely on those 2?

Lee is a pro that has something left in the tank.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
So much joy watching Witten over the years...long ago. So much joy when he is off this team for good. I have longed for what seems like forever for a good safety, a good DT and a TE that is a threat past 10 yards.

Make it happen Big Mick. Make it happen.

Rayman70

Reaction score
For the right price, I’d bring Lee back. Isn’t Thomas a FA too? You can’t lose both IMO.
I actually wanna keep Thomas over Lee. He is younger and more athletic...Lee pretty much emptied his tank this year. He rallied and did well..but the guy was whiffing on tackles, like many of the other guys. I wonder if they even get taught fundamentals anymore.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we better upgrade that linebacking group. If this year was any indicator, we better take a hard look at it. I would improve the middle of that defense. Starting at NT, Middle linebacker, Safety. THOSE 3, PERIOD. No coincidence that's how teams exposed us and beat us all year. We got run on,passed on..down the middle.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I want Lee around, he stayed healthy last year and can still play limited. If Witten would play limited snaps I would keep him. With a new HC if he stays then Witten won’t be able to pull himself in and out of the game. Jarwin needs a lot more snaps. Schultz never saw the field. We may have a couple good TE and not even know it. Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
we better upgrade that linebacking group. If this year was any indicator, we better take a hard look at it. I would improve the middle of that defense. Starting at NT, Middle linebacker, Safety. THOSE 3, PERIOD. No coincidence that's how teams exposed us and beat us all year. We got run on,passed on..down the middle.
Apparently this year was a cluster because there was no clear leader and people changing the playcalls. New system and only one leader calling the plays should have instant impact. We have a few good rookie LB that should get more snaps this year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we MUST get more physicality from our defense. We are too small and too much finesse. Way I see it, no one is safe. Its a prove it training camp coming in 2020. It will be a fresh slate for Tristan Hill. Its all on him now. Dorance Armstrong actually has a real shot at starting. If we are being honest, DLAW will need to prove himself worthy to this new staff and HC. NOTHING will be handed to him. He could well be traded,even tho he just got a new deal last year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
As much as we all love Lee and Witten, keeping them around may do more harm than good in the locker room. We need as many McCarthy guys that are able bodied.

I know Lee and Witten would probably be good soldiers but their bodies are limited in the production they could give if the defense is a 4-3/3-4 hybrid and if they’re using the TE more in pass routes than traditional in line TE.

Jerry and Stephen will hate it but time to clear out anyone from 2010 or earlier. Except LP. The long snapper shouldn’t cause problems.

More #SeanLee hate....

He was one of the best players on the team.

SLee is not our problem.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Apparently this year was a cluster because there was no clear leader and people changing the playcalls. New system and only one leader calling the plays should have instant impact. We have a few good rookie LB that should get more snaps this year.
Donovan Wilson will get his shot at starting at safety. THAT SAID, I see us drafting one early. its imperative we draft big nasty thugs to man the middle of the D. We been too soft for too long.

Doomsay

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Jerry handles the Witten issue.

glimmerman

Reaction score
we MUST get more physicality from our defense. We are too small and too much finesse. Way I see it, no one is safe. Its a prove it training camp coming in 2020. It will be a fresh slate for Tristan Hill. Its all on him now. Dorance Armstrong actually has a real shot at starting. If we are being honest, DLAW will need to prove himself worthy to this new staff and HC. NOTHING will be handed to him. He could well be traded,even tho he just got a new deal last year.
We may be stuck paying D-Law and he played well against the run but we need more consistency with our pass rush. Hoping we cut all that stunting out. Maybe we find a way to keep Quinn. And if Gregory gets back in then it will help. Not counting on it. But would help. Hill better step up this year. I think Collins is gone. That let’s me know we need to draft a DT. A big one. Like you said. We need physical.

DanA

Reaction score
No problem with either staying in for another year at the right price. Think Witten’s role should be further reduced but his 4 TD’s and 530 yards wasnt terrible.

Witten is still better than Shultz.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Donovan Wilson will get his shot at starting at safety. THAT SAID, I see us drafting one early. its imperative we draft big nasty thugs to man the middle of the D. We been too soft for too long.
I think he will get a shot. He has to take the job. Heath is on a hot seat. Looks like a Defense draft unless we see a no brainer O-Line. May not be a sexy draft but it’s what we need.

Rayman70

Reaction score
when Parcels was hired, the first thing he did was draft nasty physical players on the dline. We got bigger, then eventually changed schemes. Speed alone on d, especially in the trenches, will get you beat. You need balance. We need some big thugs in the middle. Look at Baltimore. Look at Tennessee. Minny is the same way. San Fran and Seattle...same thing. SEE THE TREND. The Texans are also the same Its no secret. You gotta be big and nasty in the trenches and your back 7 better be sound. ALL THE PLAYOFF TEAMS HAVE THESE THINGS.