Lee and Witten gotta go

conner01

Reaction score
we better upgrade that linebacking group. If this year was any indicator, we better take a hard look at it. I would improve the middle of that defense. Starting at NT, Middle linebacker, Safety. THOSE 3, PERIOD. No coincidence that's how teams exposed us and beat us all year. We got run on,passed on..down the middle.
I would keep Lee another year but we need more LB’s . They are a big part of ST and we don’t have much depth there. I think lee is a guy who makes great depth

Rayman70

Reaction score
the middle of the defense is in dire need of fixing. ...all the way back to the safety.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
As much as we all love Lee and Witten, keeping them around may do more harm than good in the locker room. We need as many McCarthy guys that are able bodied.

I know Lee and Witten would probably be good soldiers but their bodies are limited in the production they could give if the defense is a 4-3/3-4 hybrid and if they’re using the TE more in pass routes than traditional in line TE.

Jerry and Stephen will hate it but time to clear out anyone from 2010 or earlier. Except LP. The long snapper shouldn’t cause problems.

If they wanted to get into coaching, I would have no problem with them staying... As far as playing, I agree...

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Lee as a back-up is an asset for perhaps 1-2 more years but Witten needs to go. He is the last of the Garrett gang.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
No issue with Lee and Witten coming back under the new regime. I doubt McCarthy would allow Witten to take majority of the TE snaps either so everyone's fears should subside. I guess the biggest question is does McCarthy want them? I would say Lee yes, Witten I don't know as he's been a pretty vocal leader in the past under the old coaching staff.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten was a lot better than many starting TEs. MM will manage him better than Garrett, IF he wants him around.
If MM wants them, I'm all for it. We can win next year if we sign the right players, it'd be a shame for us to win it all without those two.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lee was a savior for the defense down the stretch while Jaylon struggled and LVE was injured. Witten of course should hang up the cleats with a job well done. He’s got nothing more to give and nothing more to prove
I think Witten wanted the records. He can go. Lee needs to stay as a rotation player until we know if we have enough LBs to fill out a roster - too many free agents, injuries, and unknowns.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we have too many choir boys. Witten and lee are 2 of them..PLUS they aren't that good. We need badass thugs. We need more players like Michael Bennett honestly. Nice guys just cannot get it done. Gotta be mean,physical and impose your will. We are none of those things. That's why MM was brought in. To change this. More of the same will not work. So this means changing out the players,period.

Einstein

Reaction score
So you don't think the new coach and his staff should have any say? Witten would have been fine if we had used him how the initial talk was when he returned. And I think we can all agree this catch made you jump out of your seat.
uleuozwegp1f2kwnh1ks

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Lee and Witten gotta go if McCarthy thinks they gotta go

Last edited:

EST_1986

Reaction score
Lee was a better LB this past year than LVE and Swiper No Swiping. I'd keep him, Witten needs to hang it up. Go into coaching.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Will anyone defend Witten here? FINE, I'll do it. Witten's time as a player may have expired but I still think he has something to give to professional football as a coach. He'd be a great TE's coach to start out and I hope he gets that opportunity somewhere in the NFL. But I hope Mike McCarthy makes it clear to Witten that the time to make that transition is now.
As long as that opportunity isn’t Dallas. There needs to be no chance of the Jones’ thinking they have the next Garrett situation. Witten is YEARS away from being anything more than a position coach unless it’s in college.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Witten has to go yes, Jarwin is a better tight end right now

I have ZERO issues with Lee staying

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Both should be gone by, two weeks ago. Lee stepped in... that's his job. Jarwin, can handle both blocking and catching. Neither should be in a Dallas uniform, at any time next year.

If the LB's and TE's, cannot do their job; move on to the next guy. Hanging on to worn players, is ridiculous. Some even suggested, bringing in statue of liberty #2 Brady. Bledsoe, was #1.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny how just a few years ago, so many people were ragging on Lee, saying he needs to go, and now want him to stay. I agree he should stay...he's the General...and he made his presence known when the other 2 were unavailable and/or useless.

I do love Witten, but I think it's time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
like most said here, LEE isnt an issue at the rice he played for and making sure hes more rotational and situational player, hes worth keeping.. he played more this year because LVE went down, Thomas was in and out, Gifford gone twice etc

think about all that LEE himself had to pick up the slack and now fans still want him gone.. for sure less snaps this season but id like to see him here..
Witten looked out of gas, still has great hands but with less separation and even shorter routes and no YAC, yes gone, unless he plays for Vet MIn and is the 3rd on the depth chart for very situational plays and a on field TE coach, yes..

quickccc

Reaction score
- no way witten should come back - physical tools are gone and its hurts this team way too bad. cant block and slow in mud, .. universal difference when jarwin's speed and burst hit the field and then watching witten continuing to lumber ...

- if this new coaching staff is any competent - there is no more witten per field. any Mccarthy is thinking witten is some kind of coaching future in hand ,,that's a different matter.

- Lee ? He won't be a starter ..and this won't be a limited role 4-3 strong side role anymore where the limited snaps allowed to escape excessive pounding - surprise to a injury free year.

- plus is he has experience in the 3-4 scheme which i really believe we will be running ... and even at a vet minimal , that would be too much
for a backup. i'm betting the Cowboys wont be bringing him back. Only if Nolan and McCarthy decide he is worth the price for a backup LB , could i see him coming back. and it wont hurt the cap with Cowboys having so much under the cap.
But with Dlaw and another to be named OLB on the other side
with Jaylon and LVE likley to be slated inside at MLB, where does that leave Lee aside from backup ?