plus don't you think that Jon Gruden loves Ro Smith speed

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
"
Leighton Vander Esch
6'4" 256lbs 4.65s 40 6.88 3-cone 10'4" broad jump

Bobby Carpenter
6'3" 256lbs 4.65s 40 6.88 3-cone 10'4" broad jump"
The most important part of. a great mlb is their brain and toughness.
Bobby cArpenter had the athletism , but lacked the physicality. Physicality is a mentality.
those are things you can spot before drafting a guy.
Ray Lewis by the way didn't take on many blocks, but he was so smart and reacted so fast that he stopped most plays before they started.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Vander Esch 6042 256 1.56/2.69/4.65 4.15 6.88 11.57 20reps 39.5vj 124bj
Urlacher 6037 258 1.63/2.69/4.57 4.18 6.94 27reps 34vj 122bj
Carpenter 6024 256 4.65 4.31 6.88 20reps

The reason the media didn't have Vander Esch ranked highly is that he is a 1 year wonder. They didn't know about the guy going into the season so he was overlooked as one of the early round guys. His tape seems to be late 1st-early 2nd.

Carter

Reaction score
Very solid Player. Risk is that hes a 1yr Wonder. Not sure if you take him in the Top 20 with only 1 yr of tape.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Before the combine, he was being discussed as a 2nd/3rd rounder. He lights up the combine and is now in the first round. That is the poster child for stay away.

Exhibit A see Byron Jones.....

Only he was expected to go rounds 4-7 and we drafted him because he can jump far.

But hey he ran fast during a game this year and has two career interceptions so....

jday

Reaction score
You have to take into account that he isn’t through developing.

I don’t want the best player right now. I want the guy that’s the best a few years from now.

A productive linebacker with measurables like that with a frame that can easily hold 15 more pounds... Come on.. This guy could be unreal.
You could say the same thing about Rashaan Evans....and he is more explosive...:grin:

John813

Reaction score
So he's Demarcus Ware now? Really? o_O

He's a good cover linebacker. We need a run-stopper. Why? Because the Cowboys run a ball control offense. For that to succeed, the Cowboys have to control the run game of the opposition. It's complimentary football. LVE is decent in coverage, yes, but he lacks the explosion to the ball that Rashaan Evans has in spades. And it's not like Rashaan is a liability in coverage; he just wasn't asked to do it alot...Saban found better ways to make use of his athleticism.

The NFL is going to a nickel styled defense as it's base defense.
Having a good coverage LB is quite important, especially with some freak tight ends in the league now.
Regardless if we draft Evans or LVE, they will not get a lot of snaps this year, not accounting to injuries to Lee.
I see any LB drafted this year a potential replacement for Smith at MLB, and Smith going to WOLB.
We could take the Charlton round again where we take measurables and untapped upside in a guy who may need a year or two before he becomes that LB you think he can be.

I'm fine with either LB, but I find the posts comparing him to Bobby(not directed at you) is ridiculous based off combine times. Bobby was a good athlete, but a pansy. Haven't read anything like that on LVE.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"
Leighton Vander Esch
6'4" 256lbs 4.65s 40 6.88 3-cone 10'4" broad jump

Bobby Carpenter
6'3" 256lbs 4.65s 40 6.88 3-cone 10'4" broad jump"
At least Bobby Carpenter got drafted inside the Top 20 (18th overall). I'm betting Leighton Vander Esch won't go inside the Top 20.

jday

Reaction score
The NFL is going to a nickel styled defense as it's base defense.
Having a good coverage LB is quite important, especially with some freak tight ends in the league now.
Regardless if we draft Evans or LVE, they will not get a lot of snaps this year, not accounting to injuries to Lee.
I see any LB drafted this year a potential replacement for Smith at MLB, and Smith going to WOLB.
We could take the Charlton round again where we take measurables and untapped upside in a guy who may need a year or two before he becomes that LB you think he can be.

I'm fine with either LB, but I find the posts comparing him to Bobby(not directed at you) is ridiculous based off combine times. Bobby was a good athlete, but a pansy. Haven't read anything like that on LVE.
If you look at the numbers, the ground game is making a comeback as defenses have attempted to draft to stop the pass.

John813

Reaction score
If you look at the numbers, the ground game is making a comeback as defenses have attempted to draft to stop the pass.

I'm sure there will be swings here and there as teams devalued and valued the RB over the years.
Need to have complete linebackers in the nickel, as you are spread out and lose some muscle going with the extra corner.

I don't recall the Packers game this year, but I have read that the Vikings played an entire game versus the Pack in the nickel. And you know they love to throw it first, and run it every once in a while to keep you honest.

jday

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be swings here and there as teams devalued and valued the RB over the years.
Need to have complete linebackers in the nickel, as you are spread out and lose some muscle going with the extra corner.

I don't recall the Packers game this year, but I have read that the Vikings played an entire game versus the Pack in the nickel. And you know they love to throw it first, and run it every once in a while to keep you honest.
That's a good point. So who looks more like a Linebacker for the Vikings? Rashaan Evans or LVE?

John813

Reaction score
That's a good point. So who looks more like a Linebacker for the Vikings? Rashaan Evans or LVE?

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Counting-snaps-Nickel-became-full-time-defense-109012738

Sounds like their nickel backers are/were Kendricks(6'0 232) and Barr(6'5 255lb). Playing styles of both I'm not well versed enough in either players playing style.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either guy. I think both would be suited for our current lineup in that neither would be asked to be out there 90% of the time and they can hone their craft for 2019.

conner01

Reaction score
I'd be VERY surprised if LVE went top 10.
4 QBs may go top 10 for starters

I like him,but come on
The world would be turned upside down if the 3rd or 4th rated LB went in the top 10
I like the player but I don’t think he has any shot at going in the top 10
I don’t think he goes in the top half
I think he will be a good player but I just don’t see him being even one of the top LB taken let alone top 10 overall

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Wow I love the enthusiasm and think he’ll be a good player but lol. Edmunds and Roquan are going before him

jday

Reaction score
I like Evans. He's a beast.

I still like LVE's potential better. His ability he has shown to drop in coverage would immediately improve a giant weakness on this team and that coverage from our linebackers.
It comes down to what you think the Cowboys need more:. Run-stopper or cover linebacker. I lean towards the former.