Len P: Former Raider Jim Otto on LeCharles Bentley wanting his number 00

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
• Since most of the attention was directed toward Reggie Bush and his efforts to wear uniform No. 5 in his debut season with the New Orleans Saints, people forget that the former Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner wasn't the only NFL player trying to change the league's numbering system this spring.

A former Saints star, center LeCharles Bentley, who signed with his hometown Cleveland Browns this spring as an unrestricted free agent, had petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear No. 00.

The proposed switch was meant to honor former Oakland Raiders center Jim Otto, a hero to Bentley when he was growing up, and the last man to wear the unusual number. It wasn't surprising, of course, when the NFL decided not to alter its numbering system for this season. What was surprising was the reaction by Otto this week to Bentley's proposal.

Otto called the Bentley proposal "ridiculous," but that wasn't all he had to say about it. "To let him wear my number, one that I built into a legacy … all it takes is one ounce of (cocaine) up his nose and that legacy is gone," Otto said. "I don't know who he is. I played 15 years with the Raiders. He played what, three or four years in New Orleans? What kind of legacy would he give double-zero? I don't think he should wear it and I don't think anyone in the NFL should wear it."

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Otto called the Bentley proposal "ridiculous," but that wasn't all he had to say about it. "To let him wear my number, one that I built into a legacy … all it takes is one ounce of (cocaine) up his nose and that legacy is gone," Otto said. "I don't know who he is. I played 15 years with the Raiders. He played what, three or four years in New Orleans? What kind of legacy would he give double-zero? I don't think he should wear it and I don't think anyone in the NFL should wear it."

That's a bit cold for Otto. Sounds to me that he's worried about his name being forgotten.

I think Bentley was paying him as a compliment and I have no idea where the cocaine thing came from. I guess some people don't respond to flattery.

Jim, lighten up, it's just a number.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
That's a bit cold for Otto. Sounds to me that he's worried about his name being forgotten.

I think Bentley was paying him as a compliment and I have no idea where the cocaine thing came from. I guess some people don't respond to flattery.

Jim, lighten up, it's just a number.

I am kind of let down.

This is the part where you normally say...

Lighten up Frances.

:p:

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
koolaid said:
wow, otto is a jerk
i think he just tarnished 00 by himself
i agree completely..

that article just made me dislike Otto..

Bentley was wanting to honor his childhood hero and thats how he responds? that would be like if I made the NFL and wanted to wear #22 in honor of Emmitt and Emmitt came out and said I was an idiot and a drug user and that 22 was all about him..

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jim Otto isn't a little stuck on himself is he?

Hey Jimbo when someone wants to honor you, be gracious about it.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
koolaid said:
wow, otto is a jerk
i think he just tarnished 00 by himself

Hey, he earned the right to say he doesn't want nobody else wearing his number on that particular team.

dwmyers

Reaction score
An excerpt from the Wikipedia:

url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Otto

Nearly 40 surgeries. 28 knee operations (nine of them during his playing career alone.) Multiple joint replacements. Other joints riddled with arthritis. Debilitating back and neck problems. One time, Otto nearly died on the operating table. He also fought off three life-threatening bouts of infections due to his artificial joints, and during one six-month stretch, was without a proper right knee joint because he had to wait for the infection to clear up before another artificial one could be implanted. Today, Jim Otto is handicapped. And he says he wouldn't change a thing if given the opportunity to do it over again.

I've have a vague memory of him suing the Raiders over all this, but I can't confirm it at present.

David.

sacase

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

The proposed switch was meant to honor former Oakland Raiders center Jim Otto, a hero to Bentley when he was growing up, and the last man to wear the unusual number. It wasn't surprising, of course, when the NFL decided not to alter its numbering system for this season. What was surprising was the reaction by Otto this week to Bentley's proposal.

Yeah one of the best Centers in the game want to wear the Jersey number and you act like an ***. the NFL should open it up for anyone to wear now. Otto, I don' t know who you are, those self centered comments just soiled the number 00.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Who does Jim Otto think he is, Jackie Robinson? What a joke. Why is 00 retired anywhere except Oakland? And who is Otto to put cocaine and someone he admits to not knowing in the same sentence? That's just shameful. What a pompous ***.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Hey, he earned the right to say he doesn't want nobody else wearing his number on that particular team.
Jim Otto was an Oakland Raider.

LaCharles Bentley is a Cleveland Brown.

They are unrelated to each other outside of being opponents. This isn't your best day for facts.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
sacase said:
Yeah one of the best Centers in the game want to wear the Jersey number and you act like an ***. the NFL should open it up for anyone to wear now. Otto, I don' t know who you are, those self centered comments just soiled the number 00.

Your trip to Africa looks vicious. How was it? I would like to go there one day.

sacase

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Your trip to Africa looks vicious. How was it? I would like to go there one day.

Well let's just say the little cutie in the von Dutch shirt will be coming over very soon and may be staying for good. :) Africa was the best trip I have ever had!

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
sacase said:
Well let's just say the little cutie in the von Dutch shirt will be coming over very soon and may be staying for good. :) Africa was the best trip I have ever had!

She looks good. I mean that's how a whole lot of the girls in Africa look?

How is the quality of the air in Africa? What's the difference over there than over here?:starspin

sacase

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
She looks good. I mean that's how a whole lot of the girls in Africa look?

How is the quality of the air in Africa? What's the difference over there than over here?:starspin

Women in Africa are some of the most beautiful you will see. Top places in east Africa are Nairobi, Kenya....Georgous Dark skin women, who are tall. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia....the girl in the picture is ethiopian and in Addis they will blow your mind. I have never been at a loss for words when talking to woman but there was a woman I met in the Airport there that was so fine I couldn't even speak to her, and I do speak Amharic. Also if you can catch a Somali woman, watch out....they tend to be tall and thick, and beautiful. Let me caveat this by saying they have to come from a little bit of money otherwise they get run down early in life. Its hard over there.

Air quality depends on where you are at. Of course if you are in a Major city then it is going to be the same or worse than here, but once you get into the country side. Excellent. That beach in the picture was one of the best beaches I have been in. The coral reef was almost untouched and the coral heads were huge. I saw a sea anemone that was at least 18 inches in diamter.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
sacase said:
Women in Africa are some of the most beautiful you will see. Top places in east Africa are Nairobi, Kenya....Georgous Dark skin women, who are tall. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia....the girl in the picture is ethiopian and in Addis they will blow your mind. I have never been at a loss for words when talking to woman but there was a woman I met in the Airport there that was so fine I couldn't even speak to her, and I do speak Amharic. Also if you can catch a Somali woman, watch out....they tend to be tall and thick, and beautiful. Let me caveat this by saying they have to come from a little bit of money otherwise they get run down early in life. Its hard over there.

Air quality depends on where you are at. Of course if you are in a Major city then it is going to be the same or worse than here, but once you get into the country side. Excellent. That beach in the picture was one of the best beaches I have been in. The coral reef was almost untouched and the coral heads were huge. I saw a sea anemone that was at least 18 inches in diamter.

I know what Eddie Murphy was talking about on Raw. Go to Africa get yourself a girl, marry her, and you don't have to worry about her taking half of your :jackpot: :showme: <Well you know what a mean.