Len P: Former Raider Jim Otto on LeCharles Bentley wanting his number 00

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I guess I may be one of the few that understands what Otto is saying... even though the way he said it was way over the edge.

Here's a guy that can't walk today who literally left everything on the field.

He's awfully proud of his football career and what he accomplished. He has a tremendous amount of pride in what he did and is overly protective of it.

Fair enough. I can appreciate that, but the cocaine comment was over the line. I am far from a bleeding heart and even I was a bit taken with that comment.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
otto.jpg
<----Arse!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Fair enough. I can appreciate that, but the cocaine comment was over the line. I am far from a bleeding heart and even I was a bit taken with that comment.

Unless Otto knows something we don't. Not saying there is any truth to it by any means and even if there were, it could be handled in much better way then this, but still in all there is that possability.

ravidubey

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Yep, he sure did. Otto needs to shut up and take his meds.
Damned straight. Ken Burrough was a 12 year vet who was very good. For a couple of seasons Pastorini, Campbell, and Burrough were Houston's own Triplets, though they got hosed by Pittsburgh in the playoffs twice. Who can forget all those "Luv Ya Blue!" signs being waved in the Astrodome?

Come to think of it, the refs jobbed Houston in one of those games when Mike Renfro's feet were in bounds but he was called out. How many times have te refs aided a Pittsburgh playoff win? Sheeesh.

jem88

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Jim Otto isn't a little stuck on himself is he?

Hey Jimbo when someone wants to honor you, be gracious about it.
He also shouldn't flatter himself. I imagine that number is 'retired' because of its being unusual, not because of Jim Otto. No disrespect to the guy, but he's not exactly the NFL's version of Wayne Gretzky.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I guess I may be one of the few that understands what Otto is saying... even though the way he said it was way over the edge.

Here's a guy that can't walk today who literally left everything on the field.

He's awfully proud of his football career and what he accomplished. He has a tremendous amount of pride in what he did and is overly protective of it.
Sure, people in misery sometimes say miserable things.

Otto's remarks are understandable in that context.

But his remarks were still socially inappropriate.

I don't have a need to pile on, though. I suspect that Jim Otto's life isn't particularly happy these days. I'm glad I'm not him....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prisco Notebook on Otto

Don't you just hate it when one of the old-time players comes out of the woodwork to make some stupid statements? Did you see what former Oakland Raiders center Jim Otto had to say about the possibility of Cleveland Browns center LeCharles Bentley wearing jersey No. 00, which Otto made famous? The league, of course, denied Bentley the chance, but Otto was glad that was the case. "To let him wear my number, that I built into a legacy, all it takes is one ounce of coke up his nose and that legacy is gone," Otto told the Contra Costa Times. "I don't know who he is. I played 15 years with the Raiders. He's played, what, three or four years in New Orleans? What kind of legacy would he give double zero? I don't think he should wear it and I don't think anyone in the NFL should wear it."

Otto sounds like an angry, bitter man. Bentley happens to be one of the nicer players in the league, a fan of the game, a student of his position. When I did a column last season on the lack of black centers over the years, he was forthcoming on the topic and it was clear he was a student of center play in NFL history. He wanted to wear 00 to honor Otto, not mock him. For Otto to come out and say the things he did is absurd. He should be embarrassed by what he said, and he owes Bentley an apology.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9509273/3