Twitter: Leon Hall to Visit per Rapoport

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm fine with the team practicing 'patience'.

Just make sure you do the very same thing in the draft, where it's all about patience.

If this team plays it conservative in free agency only to look for quick fix in the draft, they're a bunch of morons who truly have no idea how the process of building a team works.

You want to be patient and think long term, you do that. Just do it consistently.

adamknite

Reaction score

Just make sure you do the very same thing in the draft, where it's all about patience.

If this team plays it conservative in free agency only to look for quick fix in the draft, they're a bunch of morons who truly have no idea how the process of building a team works.

You want to be patient and think long term, you do that. Just do it consistently.

I think they've shown some patience in the draft the past few years ever since the stupid Claiborne mistake, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. Just look at last year they didn't really try to go after anybody, just let everything fall around them and managed to get Jones and Gregory (RG isn't looking so hot right now, but at the time it was a without a doubt a good value/risk move). They kinda got impatient and took Frederick when he probably could have been had later, but it worked out so even if it was a mistake, they got a really good player from it. They even passed on Johnny Football for a fantastic player like Zack Martin... lately they've earned my trust when it comes to drafting until they screw it up, which admittedly could be any time now, but for now... I'm optimistic, and I don't think you'd have to worry too much about them doing something crazy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they've shown some patience in the draft the past few years ever since the stupid Claiborne mistake, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. Just look at last year they didn't really try to go after anybody, just let everything fall around them and managed to get Jones and Gregory (RG isn't looking so hot right now, but at the time it was a without a doubt a good value/risk move). They kinda got impatient and took Frederick when he probably could have been had later, but it worked out so even if it was a mistake, they got a really good player from it. They even passed on Johnny Football for a fantastic player like Zack Martin... lately they've earned my trust when it comes to drafting until they screw it up, which admittedly could be any time now, but for now... I'm optimistic, and I don't think you'd have to worry too much about them doing something crazy.

You make a good case, definitely at the top of the drafts. They've practiced patience there and been rewarded for it. The offensive linemen picks weren't flashy, but they were undoubtedly effective. And for the record, plenty of us fans were screaming for the draft investment for year before.

The mid to late rounds have been average to poor in terms of talent evaluations.

But I can only hope that the team continues with this long term thinking when it comes to the draft and doesn't look for "immediate impact" or a 'quick fix' for a team now practicing patience.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand not being big players.....but being completely silent isn't a good option either. We literally have no one at DE now and 2 running backs on the roster....great plan

Either you're willing to overpay in FA, or you're not. If you're not, you need to have a stable management structure in place, and you need to lock down the systems you want to run and you need to build through the draft. Very clearly, that's the route we're going.

We tried to get involved at DE and at S. And maybe at RB. When those deals went above our threshold, we decided to stick to our guns. Not saying that was the smart thing necessarily, but that's the approach. We'll fill those positions with rotational players and with vets of the Mincey-Turbin variety here the next couple of weeks.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Either you're willing to overpay in FA, or you're not. If you're not, you need to have a stable management structure in place, and you need to lock down the systems you want to run and you need to build through the draft. Very clearly, that's the route we're going.

We tried to get involved at DE and at S. And maybe at RB. When those deals went above our threshold, we decided to stick to our guns. Not saying that was the smart thing necessarily, but that's the approach. We'll fill those positions with rotational players and with vets of the Mincey-Turbin variety here the next couple of weeks.

Well If that's the case. They are essentially saying they aren't going to do whatever it takes to get Romo a ring. This 5 year plan is not realistic and they know it. If they truly beleive romo has 5 years then I don't know what else to say...

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score

That's fine. But let's not pass on a QB that they like at #4 because they think Romo still has 5 years. They obviously have too many issues to address to justify passing up their future QB. It is obviously not a now or never approach they are taking. And that is fine.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well If that's the case. They are essentially saying they aren't going to do whatever it takes to get Romo a ring. This 5 year plan is not realistic and they know it. If they truly beleive romo has 5 years then I don't know what else to say...

Not necessarily. They're saying they're doing what it takes to get him the ring, and what it takes is building the team around him through the draft so they have the resources to sign players they've already seen in the system. As opposed to taking chances on talented players who come at a premium from outside the system. The risk comes if you can't develop your players around him fast enough. But, since we need the cap funds we've got to resign players we already know we like, that's a better use of that money for the next few years.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not necessarily. They're saying they're doing what it takes to get him the ring, and what it takes is building the team around him through the draft so they have the resources to sign players they've already seen in the system. As opposed to taking chances on talented players who come at a premium from outside the system. The risk comes if you can't develop your players around him fast enough. But, since we need the cap funds we've got to resign players we already know we like, that's a better use of that money for the next few years.

Well. If what I've seen since Garrett took over is a precursor. I don't trust this coaching staff to coach up anyone.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well. If what I've seen since Garrett took over is a precursor. I don't trust this coaching staff to coach up anyone.

We can agree to disagree there. Our staff might have some challenges on game days (and those are overblown and better now, with Linehan anyway), but they're good at player development. But I know I'm not going to convince upset fans that the actual problems are elsewhere, so I'm not going to try.

phildadon86

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree there. Our staff might have some challenges on game days (and those are overblown and better now, with Linehan anyway), but they're good at player development. But I know I'm not going to convince upset fans that the actual problems are elsewhere, so I'm not going to try.

Yes that was rather apparent when Matt a Casell said he was looking for help and no one was there...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

This sounds like another Wentz/Goff reply.