Lessons in winning

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tell yourself whatever you need to continue your fantasy of no tanking. It's funny the lengths you'll go to to keep the fantasy going. :lmao2:

and you can do the same. Why the hell would I look at you as some expert? lol If it makes you feel better tell yourself what ever you want just gald you have nothing to do with this organization and this loser mentality

Blitzen

Reaction score
No problem.

Jimmy sat better players to get the draft picks. And traded away talent that would've made them better. Common knowledge and he's publicly admitted it.

MIA traded away major talent to get worse so they could get better. Already proven.

When and where did he publicly admit it? Show me.

Blitzen

Reaction score
and you can do the same. Why the hell would I look at you as some expert? lol If it makes you feel better tell yourself what ever you want just gald you have nothing to do with this organization and this loser mentality

True. Losing games has never benefited any NFL team in future years.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not a single original thought goes through your doughy gray matter. "In and around and back to you" rebuttals are what children do, Jethro. I might be JJ's favorite nephew, you don't know me. Showing your own ignorance to the world is all you are doing in this discussion. Good job. :p

dckid

Reaction score
If Cleveland was tanking for years the league would have penalized them.
Cleveland has been the worst organization in the league for several years. They drafted some very good players.
Ward, Myles Garrett, Chubb. Not crazy about Mayfield at all but he has take the Browns to the same level as the Cowboys over the past 26 years.. Just think about that for a few minutes.
We should have gone 2-14, 3-13 but we had to make Jerry happy. A team like Dallas has been stuck in neutral for a couple of decades now. Even someone with half a brain would realize, you just might have to hit rock bottom, and build back up.
Rebuilds are very quick these days.
Look at the Bills, Dolphins, Rams, lets see what the Chargers do, A rebuild will not take 5 years, heck Jimmy went from 1-15 , 7-9, 11-5, 13-3 (SB Champ) back then.
The current way just will not work with Jerry and his yes man philosophy. If we had McVay as our coach over the past three years the results would have been much different.
Look at what has happened to this team since 2016, our 0-line has gotten old, Zeke is on his second contract, Dak will go from the biggest bargain at QB to the move overpaid group... ( Cousins, Goff, Wentz), Dline, LB corps in shambles. This team is not setup to win no matter how you spin in.
Do not overpay Dak, it's the easy decision to make but a foolish one none the less. If our goal over the next decade is.... 6-9 wins then have at it. Maybe they win 10 games and the division every 3 years but that is the ceiling. So the next 10 years will be the same as the last 26. Enjoy

Carter

Reaction score
A maybe more impressive stat than the 12 First Round Picks in 6 Years:

Cleveland had 32 Picks within the Top 100 of each Draft going back to 2014.

This with the fact they hit a Jackpot with Stefanski and improvement from Mayfield is why they win games now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think from a psychological standpoint the cart is being put in front of the horse in this case.

yes winning builds confidence and confidence assists in the preparation and effort it takes in order to win.

I also think if you build a culture that promotes hard work dedication high effort mental toughness intelligence diligence and the like that be gets winning.

That has to come first and that is what the browns showed. They brought in a new coaching staff who prepared them for success they started winning and it's snowballed from there.

They just didn't visualize when or have a winning history and voila they won. That is bad self-help nonsense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Some of us fans have been around a very long time. I've been a Cowboys fan since the very first day they came into the league. Until now, the fans and team never advocated tanking for draft position. Every year the fans and team were in win mode only regardless what their record ended up being. Landry would never put up with intentional losing and if a player even as much as whispered that he would have been given his walking papers. Even after Jones bought the team and the Cowboys only won 1 game, 2 less than the year before, but they never were in tanking for draft position. 1989 the Cowboys were a bad team with a rookie QB that even though today is in the HOF, he was really bad his rookie year. To use a Parcell saying, you are what you record says you are and I think that could also pertain to if you start to intentionally lose and are a losing team, than that is what your culture will be. All tanking does is give some players incentive to get off that team as soon as possible or turn them into I don't care players. If offense is taken, to bad.

Landry was able to present an image and projected onto his team and the audience that was not necessarily the truth.

That doesn't work anymore and the day of cell phones and instant communication.

Hollywood Henderson and Harvey Martin would have been outed for the people that they were.

Ultimately The Landry was pragmatic and went for what worked and I think that if he thought he could get a competitive advantage from tanking he would have done it but he would have never have done it in such a way that the public or his team would know just like he did with everything else.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. Losing games has never benefited any NFL team in future years.
I disagree with that because that has allowed them to bring in better talent for the future.

Teams turnover in coaching and talent so fast that a new culture can be established pretty quickly.

The trick in tanking is for the FO to set that up, not the coaching staff. Let the coaches and players play to win but set them up to lose. And that doesn't always work. It is acceptable and understood if they don't try to lose as we saw with the media reaction to the Jets winning a game, they were all lamenting on losing out on Lawrence.

And the fans are OK with it. CIN fans were showing up with Burrow signs well before the season was over and actually cheering the other team scoring.

kskboys

Reaction score
They could have drafted any player that year and transformed him into a Myles Garrett clone. Just takes winning attitude and never saying yes to losing.
You are yankin' people's chains!!!!!!!!!!!! No way anyone believes this!!!!!!! You got me!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Exactly. I'm prepared to believe that the Cowboys winning totals towards the end of the year will definitely lead to the success that Cleveland is currently enjoying. It's something like 10 parts winning environment and coaching, 0.5 parts talent, 20 parts good health, 50 points kick *** attitude. I'm not good at intangible math so give or take 50 points on any of these.
What?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Talk about the worst example the OP could use for winning leading to winning
:lmao:

Happy for the Browns though, but come on.