Let’s put the myth of the SF running game to bed

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
This is the one matchup we might have the better QB in.

It's not a secret that they'll run the ball and we'll have limited offensive possessions.

That's not being scared. That's knowing a teams strengths.

That wasn't my post. And you know it, brother. You said he sounded nervous. Nothing nervous about it. But your comment about the potential outcome of the game reeks of nervousness. That's why another poster called you the pot that was calling the kettle black.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That wasn't my post. And you know it, brother. You said he sounded nervous. Nothing nervous about it. But your comment about the potential outcome of the game reeks of nervousness. That's why another poster called you the pot that was calling the kettle black.
I like Van Halen.

I don't agree with you, but Eddie wouldn't be happy with me if I continue with this argument.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I like Van Halen.

I don't agree with you, but Eddie wouldn't be happy with me if I continue with this argument.

It's not an argument, brother. Posting here is just a hobby for me. Words from nervous Cowboys fans don't bother me enough to argue. ;)

And you're right about Edward. GO COWBOYS!

Oh! I'm more of a Diamond Dave type of guy. :cool:

tenor.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They are 7th in the league at 126.9 YPG. That’s is 2.3 YPG better than us. And here’s the thing, that’s only because they run it a lot because their QB sucks and their coach struggles getting his receivers open without playaction. They are 17th in yards per carry at 4.3, 0.2 yards LESS than Dallas.

This is not the team that went to the SB 2 years ago. They are a one dimensional offense that runs out of necessity and they are below average on a per carry basis.

Very very true, but you cant compare thier run game to our 2nd half run game. Our run game stats are bolstered by a 5 game stretch early in the year. This recent version has been average 3 ypc.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan won the NFCCG against the Packers with Jimmy G passing for 77 yards. The guy knows how to scheme an offense unlike Kellen Moore

Kellen more schemed the #1 offense in the NFL. And with the horrid Zeke stumbling his way to 1000 yards the 2nd half of the year.

Facts are stubborn things.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Very very true, but you cant compare thier run game to our 2nd half run game. Our run game stats are bolstered by a 5 game stretch early in the year. This recent version has been average 3 ypc.
actually our run game in second half of the season wasn't so bad, except for the AZ game when Mr. Moore decided to run twice in the second half....I don't worry so much about average as much as I do about total yards...we had 5 games of over 100 yards.....but yeah, I am with you...our run game could be better...

keep in mind niners played some bottom dewellers of run defense in their last 8 or 9 games (outside of Rams, a division foe).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
actually our run game in second half of the season wasn't so bad, except for the AZ game when Mr. Moore decided to run twice in the second half....I don't worry so much about average as much as I do about total yards...we had 5 games of over 100 yards.....but yeah, I am with you...our run game could be better...

keep in mind niners played some bottom dewellers of run defense in their last 8 or 9 games (outside of Rams, a division foe).

Avg tells you if its working. Who cares about total yards if it takes you 30 runs to get to 100?

Its about an effective run game. Which is a run game that gets you first downs on short yardage, and picks up nice chunks or yards so you dont get into 3rd and long. Big play runs also help.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Avg tells you if its working. Who cares about total yards if it takes you 30 runs to get to 100?

Its about an effective run game. Which is a run game that gets you first downs on short yardage, and picks up nice chunks or yards so you dont get into 3rd and long. Big play runs also help.
but is also not quitting when the run game struggles a bit. since we have abandoned the run completely with slightest lack of success

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
but is also not quitting when the run game struggles a bit. since we have abandoned the run completely with slightest lack of success

We have never abandoned the run. Thats is just something that guys like you say to try and make a point that isnt there. Featuring thepassing when the run game isnt working is only smart business.

In fact, the Cowboys continue to stubbornly try to establish the run game to a fault.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There’s no myth they pounded the Rams yesterday. San Francisco controlled the ball for almost 40 minutes against a very talented Rams defense. San Francisco is physical up front and we’ve had trouble with physical teams. Denver gashed us for 190 yards rushing earlier in the season. They kept our offense on the sidelines. I’m sure San Francisco plans on attacking us the same way. If we can’t stop the run it’s going to be a long day.

conner01

Reaction score
They are 7th in the league at 126.9 YPG. That’s is 2.3 YPG better than us. And here’s the thing, that’s only because they run it a lot because their QB sucks and their coach struggles getting his receivers open without playaction. They are 17th in yards per carry at 4.3, 0.2 yards LESS than Dallas.

This is not the team that went to the SB 2 years ago. They are a one dimensional offense that runs out of necessity and they are below average on a per carry basis.
We are actually pretty even teams in many ways