Let McCarthy pick his own QB. Let Dak/Cooper walk

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Too drastic?
are you sure McCarthy hasn't picked Dak? how do you know one way or the other? McCarthy has endorsed Dak in his past comments....but I guess you don't buy into that.

and then we go searching for QB, be an average team for the next three years, the angry, always hate something crowd can blame McCarthy and the McCarthy supporting crowd will excuse him because he didn't have QB and the debate rages on.....

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
McCarthy is on film saying both that he wants to go to a team with a "good young Quarterback" and the he would "prefer to pick his own QB in the Draft and build from there."

So it can be argued either way. And argue you will. LOL

irving

Reaction score
Yes right, let Cooper and Dak walk and Dallas will be lucky to win 4 games.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I always thought the scenario would go,

Dallas franchise's Prescott
Prescott holds out creating friction between him and the head coach
Dallas has another disappointing year
McCarthy decides to move on from Prescott
McCarthy chooses the QB for the future

Wet dream.

InTheZone

Reaction score
are you sure McCarthy hasn't picked Dak? how do you know one way or the other? McCarthy has endorsed Dak in his past comments....but I guess you don't buy into that.

and then we go searching for QB, be an average team for the next three years, the angry, always hate something crowd can blame McCarthy and the McCarthy supporting crowd will excuse him because he didn't have QB and the debate rages on.....
Average with dak and about to be strapped after he's paid.

Or draft a guy, take a chance at being great and have money to spend to keep building...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Average with dak and about to be strapped after he's paid.

Or draft a guy, take a chance at being great and have money to spend to keep building...
but that's exactly what we said 4 years ago....now wash,rinse, repeat? so your suggesting is to rebuild from scratch?

and who is this great guy we should take a chance on? what's the chances of him being great? how do we build around a guy we have no idea about?

and in 4 years, you probably say the same thing......let Mr. X go, lets draft a guy, take a chance at being great and have money to spend to keep building.

btw, we have money, we have over 90M in cap space. we can easily open up another 10-15...so not sure if money is the issue.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I always thought the scenario would go,

Dallas franchise's Prescott
Prescott holds out creating friction between him and the head coach
Dallas has another disappointing year
McCarthy decides to move on from Prescott
McCarthy chooses the QB for the future
McCarthy chooses? he would have sole control?

and since when is he a QB guru?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but that's exactly what we said 4 years ago....now wash,rinse, repeat? so your suggesting is to rebuild from scratch?

and who is this great guy we should take a chance on? what's the chances of him being great? how do we build around a guy we have no idea about?

and in 4 years, you probably say the same thing......let Mr. X go, lets draft a guy, take a chance at being great and have money to spend to keep building.

btw, we have money, we have over 90M in cap space. we can easily open up another 10-15...so not sure if money is the issue.

This is the part many ignore. Many blindly say "don't sign Dak" or "he's not worth it", without any real thought as to the alternative. It seems many just either assume anyone can do what Dak does, which is nonsense, or they assume that getting an elite Rodgers/Wilson/Mahomes/Brees kind of guys is just a matter of getting rid of Dak and deciding to go get that player, which is also nonsense. If it were that easy more of the "elite" QB's would be younger, but as it is we are talking about the elite QBs being guys drafted as far back as 19 years ago (Brees). Rodgers (2005 draft) and Wilson (2012 draft) aren't kids either.

12+88=7

Reaction score
McCarthy chooses? he would have sole control?

and since when is he a QB guru?

The head coach usually picks the QB that he is going to attach his future to. The two are linked.

Others will be involved in the decision, but I believe that the head coach will have the final vote.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The head coach usually picks the QB that he is going to attach his future to. The two are linked.

Others will be involved in the decision, but I believe that the head coach will have the final vote.
the coach has a lot of input, I don't disagree, but the draft is usually run with GM, Scouts, Coaches....and depends on how the picks unfold....who is available, etc. not sure if outside of first round, the coach much makes a specific selection....

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This is the part many ignore. Many blindly say "don't sign Dak" or "he's not worth it", without any real thought as to the alternative. It seems many just either assume anyone can do what Dak does, which is nonsense, or they assume that getting an elite Rodgers/Wilson/Mahomes/Brees kind of guys is just a matter of getting rid of Dak and deciding to go get that player, which is also nonsense. If it were that easy more of the "elite" QB's would be younger, but as it is we are talking about the elite QBs being guys drafted as far back as 19 years ago (Brees). Rodgers (2005 draft) and Wilson (2012 draft) aren't kids either.

I get your point. Your angle.

How many of these $100++ million dollar QBs go on to win SB?

I’m just saying. It doesn’t have to be a sign and hope every time. Imo.

InTheZone

Reaction score

if the replacement is getting us 7-9 to 9-7 seasons in the final two years of his run and he has questionable QB skills then yes I'm all for finding a new guy. I've said this many times. Absolutely no reason to pay a second contract as any team can win a SB with almost any QB as long as support is strong enough.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

In Dallas? :muttley:

12+88=7

Reaction score
In Dallas? :muttley:

Jerry has gotten much better at listening to those around him.

Look at the impulse control that Stephen has had on him in free agency. Look at some of the draft choices, different coaches got the players they wanted. The best example of Jerry listening had to be selection of Martin over Manziel.

I believe Jerry would leave the final vote for a QB to McCarthy if this were to happen.

csirl

Reaction score
MM didnt take the job because of a QB who is about to be a FA.