CFZ Let's talk west coast offense

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you like me, have limited knowledge of what to expect from WCO, the kind of players who best fit the system. Please feel to add any tips or nuggets. I'm trying to learn as much as possible (lol).

I will go on and ask the obvious question.......is the offense a good fit for Dak?

What is the West Coast offense in football?

Walsh. His “West Coast offense” was a ball-control offense that featured short passes and quick slanting pass routes by receivers and running backs. This resulted in coverage mismatches and space for the backs and receivers to break long runs. Walsh was inducted into the Pro Football Hall…

What is the basic West Coast offense?

The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems. I'm guessing this means every play will likely have an open receiver.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/13/5406774/football-101-what-is-a-west-coast-offense

Key Player Types​

Typical players in a WCO are:

Quarterback: Mobile, accurate passer who makes good decisions. Does not have to have the strongest arm, since short passes are the key.

Linemen: Mobile, agile blockers who can roll a pocket with a mobile quarterback. The WCO is not a power running game, so zone blocking is more prominent.

Wide receivers: Accurate route runners, with good timing with the quarterback. Needs to be able to separate himself in traffic and make a play after the catch on shorter routes.

Running backs: Need to be a receiving threat, with good route-running skills. Also needs to be able to pass block, protecting the quarterback on 5-step drops. The offense will look to break longer runs later in a game, so a home run threat running back, who can step up and pass block, is ideal. Does not necessarily need to be the biggest, power runner.

Tight ends: Needs to be a blocker, as well as a possession receiver. Has to have good hands, able to catch a ball in traffic, especially over the middle as a progression target.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really doesn't matter what you want to call this offense. it's will need to be tailored to Dak and his limited abilities.

In every offense, at some point you have to throw down field. otherwise defenses will do exactly what they're doing now attack the run, attack the short pass, and play zone challenging you to throw at least intermediate routes.
I wish hard knocks would cover us this year pure entertainment.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Whichever offense has the 40 million dollar QB throw less than that’s the offense I want them to run. Cowboys are stuck with Dak because Jerrah and cap boy want to try and prove everyone wrong. They seem to have track record of dumb choices and sticking to it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak throwing to tight coverage is a no-no, we seen that too many times with the INT's.
He also seems to be a tick behind as to where and when to throw. Hesitant at times. Other times he is quick to the throw, but not consistently.

It may not be a true WCO system though, but a hybrid of what is there, and a WCO type offense added.

I don't study film, nor care to do so. But I know enough of the base offenses and defenses to see things (like the eyeball test) :laugh: . Like Dak and tight coverage most of the time does not go well, or it did not go well in 2022. So I will rely upon our film fans and see what they think.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys don't throw deep at times, opposing Defenses are going to do exactly what the 49ers did: shut down our run game by placing 8 defenders in the box while shutting down the pass everything short and mid while they bring pressure with only 4 D-linemen.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Agreed we need to be able to back them off I'm hoping Gallup can come back to his previous level Dak seem to have pretty good chemistry with him at one time.
I'm hoping he just needs to get a step back.
If there is any luck in the world maybe the Jones boys will see that we are in dire need of a deep threat receiver that can create some separation and allocate some funds towards it

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak throwing to tight coverage is a no-no, we seen that too many times with the INT's.
He also seems to be a tick behind as to where and when to throw. Hesitant at times. Other times he is quick to the throw, but not consistently.

It may not be a true WCO system though, but a hybrid of what is there, and a WCO type offense added.

I don't study film, nor care to do so. But I know enough of the base offenses and defenses to see things (like the eyeball test) :laugh: . Like Dak and tight coverage most of the time does not go well, or it did not go well in 2022. So I will rely upon our film fans and see what they think.
There are many variations but the concerns mentioned are def legit. I'll be honest, had to pause after reading OP coz it's certainly not Dak's strength. In fact, he has admitted he throws to an area/spot and expects his receivers to be there or make a play within a certain radius.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This.....
it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems. I'm guessing this means every play will likely have an open receiver.
This is going to be a problem for QB1.... his accuracy is questionable and most slant passes are behind the receivers. He also has trouble reading defenses quickly.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There are many variations but the concerns mentioned are def legit. I'll be honest, had to pause after reading OP coz it's certainly not Dak's strength. In fact, he has admitted he throws to an area/spot and expects his receivers to be there or make a play within a certain radius.
Agree with your view of the OP, the ONLY aspect that fits our present roster in the short passing game.

Really interesting (bold sentence), as one of the criticisms of (especially the slant/in) play seems to be that the throw tends to be behind (or at best directly at) the receiver.....thus not enabling the running onto the ball.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems. I'm guessing this means every play will likely have an open receiver.
No, No,No....that would require a QB that reads progressions at Warp speed, and smacks of basing your Offense on Hope. Surely Dak's talents are more suited to scheming one open (two at best) receivers and give him a designed Checkdown (and encourage the scramble).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is going to be a problem for QB1.... his accuracy is questionable and most slant passes are behind the receivers. He also has trouble reading defenses quickly.
Sorry, didnt read your post before my two posts above....Spot On, great minds...

Cmac

Reaction score
If you like me, have limited knowledge of what to expect from WCO, the kind of players who best fit the system. Please feel to add any tips or nuggets. I'm trying to learn as much as possible (lol).

I will go on and ask the obvious question.......is the offense a good fit for Dak?

What is the West Coast offense in football?

Walsh. His “West Coast offense” was a ball-control offense that featured short passes and quick slanting pass routes by receivers and running backs. This resulted in coverage mismatches and space for the backs and receivers to break long runs. Walsh was inducted into the Pro Football Hall…

What is the basic West Coast offense?

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/13/5406774/football-101-what-is-a-west-coast-offense

Key Player Types​

Typical players in a WCO are:

Quarterback: Mobile, accurate passer who makes good decisions. Does not have to have the strongest arm, since short passes are the key.

Linemen: Mobile, agile blockers who can roll a pocket with a mobile quarterback. The WCO is not a power running game, so zone blocking is more prominent.

Wide receivers: Accurate route runners, with good timing with the quarterback. Needs to be able to separate himself in traffic and make a play after the catch on shorter routes.

Running backs: Need to be a receiving threat, with good route-running skills. Also needs to be able to pass block, protecting the quarterback on 5-step drops. The offense will look to break longer runs later in a game, so a home run threat running back, who can step up and pass block, is ideal. Does not necessarily need to be the biggest, power runner.

Tight ends: Needs to be a blocker, as well as a possession receiver. Has to have good hands, able to catch a ball in traffic, especially over the middle as a progression target.
.....that's alot of needs we currently don't have or haven't been working skill-wise......we're just coming off a pass-happy coordinator that had no interest in methodical drives where you dissect the defense's weaknesses or simply move the chains.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Sorry, didnt read your post before my two posts above....Spot On, great minds...
Its all good. From what I have read this type of offense requires impeccable timing routes and hitting receivers in stride for YAC. Aikman was extremely good at those types of passes. Dak is going to struggle if this is the route they go.

So the WCO places an emphasis on passing over running - this alone is going to be a huge issue. The Dallas offense in 2022 was at its best when there was balance. We have seen too many times that all an opposing defense has to do is force Dak into throwing more. Dak simply can't take over games like that.

If this is the type of offense they go with they are going to need a lot of work.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
.....that's alot of needs we currently don't have or haven't been working skill-wise......we're just coming off a pass-happy coordinator that had no interest in methodical drives where you dissect the defense's weaknesses or simply move the chains.
Yep, we're at the stage that we need a play caller and OC that suits Dak's talents and not the other way round.

This is one of the pro's/cons with our whole Dak/HC question and our 'commitment' to drafting a QB. We arent going to draft an 'elite' QB, however we could certainly draft one that's not perfect (ala Dak) but has qualities consistent with how we're going to play.