CFZ Let's talk west coast offense

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The first years of McCarthys offense in Green Bay was predicated on those things mentioned above. The last few years in Green Bay, his offense consisted of 1 calling the play, 2 play breaking down, 3 QB 1 running for his life and 4 QB1 making a great play or if QB 1 was injured the play was 1-Call the same play he would call if QB1 was playing, 2-play breaking down, 3 QB2 rolling right, and 4-QB2 getting slammed to the ground or thowing the ball 25 yard out of bounds.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you think this is a Dak-friendly offense. Here's an interesting question.......what happens if Dak struggles in this offense? I think it's a fair question......is it just me or did anyone else notice there's been no mention of Dak and his impact on the offense or the offense's impact on his career. If I didn't know better, I would ask do they care? It certainly doesn't seem like it. Let me first say I could be dead wrong but it appears Mike is saying if I'm going down these next two years, it'll be my offense, my way.......no more kid gloves, including Dak, ( Dak's OC and QB coach fired). My point is unlike Garrett, MM is alpha, he will call it as he sees it egos and contracts be damned. This team, this offense, next season can get really interesting if Dak continues to struggle with interceptions and/or accuracy issues.

'Romo-friendly' offense reality at last​

https://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/sto...wboys-see-romo-friendly-offense-come-fruition

IRVING, Texas -- It was nearly six years ago -- February 2009, to be exact -- that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones first uttered the phrase "Romo-friendly."

Back then, it was kind of an obscure phrase in connection with quarterback Tony Romo, even though Jones did his best to explain it.

"Romo-friendly," Jones said at the time, "means let's utilize his skills to the fullest and make sure everything we do maximizes his abilities."

JBS

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you think this is a Dak-friendly offense. Here's an interesting question.......what happens if Dak struggles in this offense? I think it's a fair question......is it just me or did anyone else notice there's been no mention of Dak and his impact on the offense or the offense's impact on his career. If I didn't know better, I would ask do they care? It certainly doesn't seem like it. Let me first say I could be dead wrong but it appears Mike is saying if I'm going down these next two years, it'll be my offense, my way.......no more kid gloves, including Dak, ( Dak's OC and QB coach fired). My point is unlike Garrett, MM is alpha, he will call it as he sees it egos and contracts be damned. This team, this offense, next season can get really interesting if Dak continues to struggle with interceptions and/or accuracy issues.

'Romo-friendly' offense reality at last​

https://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/sto...wboys-see-romo-friendly-offense-come-fruition

IRVING, Texas -- It was nearly six years ago -- February 2009, to be exact -- that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones first uttered the phrase "Romo-friendly."

Back then, it was kind of an obscure phrase in connection with quarterback Tony Romo, even though Jones did his best to explain it.

"Romo-friendly," Jones said at the time, "means let's utilize his skills to the fullest and make sure everything we do maximizes his abilities."
There is nothing alpha about MM

Yes. He’s going down running the offense. That’s it. Dak is the QB here. That has been established already by everybody. He isn’t going anywhere right now.

MM doesn’t have 2 years. He may have two on his contract but that doesn’t matter. He has 1 year to get it done or he’s out.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Roger Craig Aaron Jones hmmm the Cowboys RB room today to ball control it where are the touches out of backfield coming from ? And stop talking Zeke . TP I would not franchise . Position Needs attention . And better resign 66 . OLine needs not to look for a LG , too many other needs.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Speaking of Aaron Jones the Packers are reportedly looking to move on from his salary with Buffalo interested . How about reuniting him with Mac and Cheese . If a three brought Dallas Tolbert and Wright neither of whom have contributed could you lose Zekes salary and bring in Jones for a 3 . Team him up with Malik Davis pound the rock ball control and get your WCO off the ground running .

Reactions: CWR

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There is nothing alpha about MM
Guess it's a matter of opinion but I have read the same reference by a few of his former players

https://********.com/aaron-rodgers-insists-he-got-along-fine-with-ex-packers-1833897703

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He isn’t going anywhere right now.
Never said he was going anywhere......I said things can get interesting if he continues to struggle in the new offense. Remember MM benched Brett Favra for Rogers, so he is not afraid to make tough decisions. As stated, the kid gloves are off IMO.

T-RO

Reaction score
MM is alpha
Don't see that. True alphas wield control.

McCarthy has had zero control over ST, Def, Offense. In camp 18 months ago via HBO we watched while he suggested that Dak go get himself checked for injury. Meanwhile his season slogan was openly mocked and quickly swept away.

As stated, the kid gloves are off IMO.
With Jerry around that's not gonna happen.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

McCarthy has had zero control over ST, Def, Offense. In camp 18 months ago via HBO we watched while he suggested that Dak go get himself checked for injury. Meanwhile his season slogan was openly mocked and quickly swept away.

https://********.com/aaron-rodgers-insists-he-got-along-fine-with-ex-packers-1833897703

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I honestly think he was trying to gain player trust with he was first hired. Keep in mind we were in the thick of CV-19. If you watch his interviews after the games of his first season, players could do nothing wrong. It's like he went out his way to cover their mistakes.

quickccc

Reaction score
1 Re-wiring Dak per coach/scheme
2 Play caller w/better schemes that tailors skill position roles
3 Add much more SPEED/YAC splash players to skill positions
4 Add more effective balance RB game to the pass game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what you want to call this offense. it's will need to be tailored to Dak and his limited abilities.

In every offense, at some point you have to throw down field. otherwise defenses will do exactly what they're doing now attack the run, attack the short pass, and play zone challenging you to throw at least intermediate routes.
I wish hard knocks would cover us this year pure entertainment.
IOW, it doesn't matter what they do, you will assume failure. I have never understood those that give up give up before things even begin.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IOW, it doesn't matter what they do, you will assume failure. I have never understood those that give up give up before things even begin.
No they can run many variations as long as they get Dak out of the pocket often. I'm not saying Dak has to carry the ball, just rolls, boots, play action, etc. The question outstanding would be is he willing to move ALOT on the ankle. Rolling him gives him clear vision, less reads and more separation time for receivers.
The defense cannot stack and attack the pocket.

IMO it's Daks only shot, I hope he's able.
So who's giving up?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No they can run many variations as long as they get Dak out of the pocket often. I'm not saying Dak has to carry the ball, just rolls, boots, play action, etc. The question outstanding would be is he willing to move ALOT on the ankle. Rolling him gives him clear vision, less reads and more separation time for receivers.
The defense cannot stack and attack the pocket.

IMO it's Daks only shot, I hope he's able.
So who's giving up?
Ahh, so IOW, Dak needs to play very basic schemes to make it easy as possible to make reads? Like he is a QB idiot or something.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Quarterback: Mobile, accurate passer who makes good decisions. Does not have to have the strongest arm, since short passes are the key.

Dink and dunk Dak in the house short ones are his bread and butter but the only problem is he's not very smart or accurate.
P.S.Mobile well let's just say he runs like the lego man and is one hit away from retirement with that bionic ankle of his.
Lmao. He is surprisingly accurate. Even brady makes a few off throws per game. Especially when you’re being pressured. That being said he has an issue with sometimes having a predetermined player he wants to get the ball to. He will stand and wait and hold the ball too long instead of going through progressions.

Playoffs… on a 3rd down play he knew he had 1 on 1 with Lamb. He eye screwed him all the way down the field. When ball snapped he looked at Hilton. Then watched Lamb and threw a ok pass that Lamb almost made a circus catch on. But he breaks away and turns his head 2 inches and looked back he would have seen Hilton running wide open. All QB miss plays but he misses more than most.

The 2nd and 2 is the time of the game when Dak usually uses his feet and makes a play. I was very surprised he threw that ball. But running the ball 15 times in a playoff game is a kiss of death and we all know it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I expect him to get injured again this coming season as he is injury prone.
It's more mental with him as his sub-conscience desires to be injured to avoid the pressures the job brings him.
And ya it shows in big games when the egg-laying goes into overdrive and he's throwing the ball into triple coverage!
Mentally he has major issues and the job is way over his talent grade well you get the idea here.
The injury to the ankle was the same tackle as Pollard in the playoffs and Elliot the year before. Hand was off a defenders helmet. You act like he is Romo with the catchy back. Or a hammy issue.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ahh, so IOW, Dak needs to play very basic schemes to make it easy as possible to make reads? Like he is a QB idiot or something.
IDK what did you glean this past season?
Not a idiot, just doesn't trust his arm.
Maybe read his scouting report, sometimes negatives can be overcome, sometimes they cannot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you like me, have limited knowledge of what to expect from WCO, the kind of players who best fit the system. Please feel to add any tips or nuggets. I'm trying to learn as much as possible (lol).

I will go on and ask the obvious question.......is the offense a good fit for Dak?

What is the West Coast offense in football?

Walsh. His “West Coast offense” was a ball-control offense that featured short passes and quick slanting pass routes by receivers and running backs. This resulted in coverage mismatches and space for the backs and receivers to break long runs. Walsh was inducted into the Pro Football Hall…

What is the basic West Coast offense?

The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems. I'm guessing this means every play will likely have an open receiver.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/13/5406774/football-101-what-is-a-west-coast-offense

Key Player Types​

Typical players in a WCO are:

Quarterback: Mobile, accurate passer who makes good decisions. Does not have to have the strongest arm, since short passes are the key.

Linemen: Mobile, agile blockers who can roll a pocket with a mobile quarterback. The WCO is not a power running game, so zone blocking is more prominent.

Wide receivers: Accurate route runners, with good timing with the quarterback. Needs to be able to separate himself in traffic and make a play after the catch on shorter routes.

Running backs: Need to be a receiving threat, with good route-running skills. Also needs to be able to pass block, protecting the quarterback on 5-step drops. The offense will look to break longer runs later in a game, so a home run threat running back, who can step up and pass block, is ideal. Does not necessarily need to be the biggest, power runner.

Tight ends: Needs to be a blocker, as well as a possession receiver. Has to have good hands, able to catch a ball in traffic, especially over the middle as a progression target.
The general concept is to spread the defense out right/left then the use these options:
- Gash them with a run.
- Clear out defenders such the the target receiver has room for YAC.
- Hit 1 receiver deep.
- Hit a pass to the RB.

Layered routes are part of the scheme. It allows a QB to make multiple reads almost at the same time.

In the image below, envision that each of the 3 routes to the right side are equal distance.

Even if the QB "stares" to the right, the defenders still do not know which of the 3 receivers is the intended target.

There can be a disadvantage of having most of the coverage defenders on the right side.
- However, with the coverage players on the 2 deeper right side routes are moving left and the coverage defender on the shallow crosser is moving right.
- The route combo in this image draws defenders to the right side.
- That means a good chance of the far left WR getting single coverage with no deep help.
- Having the defendera flooding the right side also presents the opportinity of runs to the left or passes to the RB left.

From the same formation, the slot WR on the left can run a slant and the QB takes a short drop and fires the ball immedately.
- If it is man coverage, the Nickel CB will be challenged to play for a slant or for the crossing route shown.
- On a slant the CB wants to cut under, but on the crosser he wants to play over.
- I recall a big play given up when Diggs cut under what ended up being a crossing route like the one shown.
- With Diggs under (trailing), when he didn't get his hands on the ball, then the WR had room to run after the catch.
- The deeper defenders were moving to the left while the target WR was running right.
- If the RB ran a short route left, then that took another defender out of the middle of the field and away from the right side.

Also from the same formation, the far left WR might run a short route and the QB takes a short/medium drop and fires the ball.
- This works vs off-coverage.

In theory, shorter routes have higher completion rates.

https://***NOT-ALLOWED***/file/d/1RpSlcVoWaRiXFNk0MsxQFctiU7amPVsh/view?usp=share_link