Let the Josh Gordon to Cowboys speculation begin!

Leadbelly

Reaction score
how-crazy-are-you-5.png

Al Davis is dead and we have Jerry Jones. In the Crazy Bowl, we're the last dynasty.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I find that this is a really perplexing subject. Let's start with the obvious cons:

Unreliable, can't stop himself from partying and smoking marijuana. Not the type of player we want to add to a roster with a multitude of players who can't stay healthy or out of trouble.

But we can't ignore the obvious benefits.

He's a real #1 receiver and a significant upgrade over Williams or Butler. Combined with Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, and Ezekiel Elliott... with Romo at the helm, this offense would be Super Bowl ready. Not to mention it would resolve the question of whether we re-sign Williams next year.

In a year or two or three, the NFL is going to stop testing for marijuana, and these suspensions are going to go away. He's only 25 and he is a STUD player. Regardless of the cons, I sign him as soon as he is available. I would even trade a 5th or 6th for him to ensure we get him.

This could be our year and if we do whatever we can do get this team better whether or offense or defense, we should do it.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I would hate to see him and gregory together bad influence on each other! we have enough headaches & don't need another although i understand the intrigue but i would Pass

RoboQB

Reaction score
This forum would explode if Dallas signed Josh Gordon.
In the words of Jack "Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full here."

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I've been saying it for a while, he's one guy I'd take a chance on. Just an absolute monster. If he ever decides to return to the NFL after his rehab, he'll probably be signed somewhere for cheap.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is no dilemma, Gordon will be out off football sooner than later.....just like Gregory. Even if the NFL stops pot testing, those two will be perma-banned long before that happens.

Proof

Reaction score
Patriots will sign him for cheap, win a sb with him and then trade him for a first

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The NFL will stop testing when it is no longer illegal at the federal level. Not sure it will happen in 2 or 3 years and even it does he's probably not going to be able to avoid additional positive results along the way.

More to the point, how many of these reclamation, baggage-ridden, "too good to pass on" projects does the team need to fail at before people realize that they actually work out so infrequently that it probably does more harm than good in the long run.

Great job, you scored a guy on the cheap! And to think that it only took countless draft picks and millions in cap space over the years to uncover this diamond in the rough.

CWR

Reaction score
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Josh Gordon entered rehab after a recent "slip-up."

Lol for all those commending the young man for trying to get his life right. Hes covering his butt. I would love for my cynicism to be proven wrong but....

Verdict

Reaction score
I am not in favor of the headache he would bring, but the talent is undeniable. I wouldn't take the risk if I were the Cowboys, but in the event they did, they would have to do the following:

1. Sign him to a pay for play deal. He gets paid for a game he plays but nothing if he doesn't play. Nothing. No signing bonus of any consequence.

2. Assign him a full time babysitter. I mean full time. Like chain them together with handcuffs before he leaves the practice field.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cleveland isn't releasing him this season. He isn't taking up a roster spot right now. They can move on without releasing him until after the season.

Let's assume the Browns do cut him today. Is there a true benefit to signing him? I don't believe in the low risk, high reward scenario with him. The risk is high because he is unreliable. He got busted multiple times in college and now many times in the NFL. He will fail another test. Will that come down the stretch of the regular season? Will it happen before a playoff game?

I don't root against the guy, but he can't be trusted. He has shown it over and over and over again. A few said Dallas should have taken him in the supplemental draft. That would have been a wasted pick. Some said Dallas should have traded for him, even offering up a 2nd round pick or greater to get him. That would have been a waste, too. He consistently misses games. He can't be counted on.

haleyrules

Reaction score
lol. C
Cleveland isn't releasing him this season. He isn't taking up a roster spot right now. They can move on without releasing him until after the season.

Let's assume the Browns do cut him today. Is there a true benefit to signing him? I don't believe in the low risk, high reward scenario with him. The risk is high because he is unreliable. He got busted multiple times in college and now many times in the NFL. He will fail another test. Will that come down the stretch of the regular season? Will it happen before a playoff game?

I don't root against the guy, but he can't be trusted. He has shown it over and over and over again. A few said Dallas should have taken him in the supplemental draft. That would have been a wasted pick. Some said Dallas should have traded for him, even offering up a 2nd round pick or greater to get him. That would have been a waste, too. He consistently misses games. He can't be counted on.
lol. Can he play some defense...he would fit right in. The Cowboys, of all teams,with their history of taking on problem children, could get away with signing Gordon. Write up his deal...one mistake and your history. He is such a talented bonehead.

joseephuss

Reaction score
lol. C

lol. Can he play some defense...he would fit right in. The Cowboys, of all teams,with their history of taking on problem children, could get away with signing Gordon. Write up his deal...one mistake and your history. He is such a talented bonehead.

The Cowboys also have a history of taking on problem children that did nothing to help the team. If you can't get on the field, you aren't helping the team. Gordon won't be seeing the field this season. The odds are he will screw up again and miss even more time. Why take that risk? Why get accustomed to having him as part of the offense and then have to scramble to replace him when he screws up yet again? We have seen that happen with players before. It isn't a good thing.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The Cowboys also have a history of taking on problem children that did nothing to help the team. If you can't get on the field, you aren't helping the team. Gordon won't be seeing the field this season. The odds are he will screw up again and miss even more time. Why take that risk? Why get accustomed to having him as part of the offense and then have to scramble to replace him when he screws up yet again? We have seen that happen with players before. It isn't a good thing.
We are just kicking it around. I am not for or against Gordon. Normally l don't any more idiots in Dallas we have seen too many. Gordon is interesting thats all.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
there is no way this happens after all the trouble we have had with druggies here.

Logically speaking, that is correct.

But it's the NFL and, unlike Little Johnny, Gordon has shown he's capable of being a top performer on the field. Someone will give him a shot, assuming he's ever off suspension.