Let's all prepare ourselves for another lost season

Everson24

Reaction score
I know this post is negative, but all the offseason signs point to another losing season following a great season.

The offensive line lost 40% of last season's starters and it doesn't appear that we have the answers in place yet. L. Collins really struggled in pass protection the other night against the Ram's back-ups. What will he do against JPP and VonMiller? The left guard spot is in shambles right now-and Chaz Green and Tyron Smith can't stay healthy. The depth we had last year is now gone. Any injuries to Zack or Travis Fredrick will have this line looking like the 2012 version.

Losing Zeke Elliott for six games is going to kill the start or our season I believe. We have a real good chance of losing our first three games and it'snot out of the question that we start out 2-4 or even1-5.Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink. Dak had well-defined reads because of how the opposing defenses were geared to stop Zeke. He could take any carry to the house and they knew it. No team out there is going to fear McFadden or Alfred Morris.

This means that Dak is going to see much more diverse coverages and different looks. It will be a huge learning curve for him in my opinion. If Dak struggles to read these coverages the offense will grind to a halt and He stands to lose some of the confidence that he portrayed last year. We must also keep in mind that the QB sophomore slump is a very reall thing. There is a reason that sophmore QB's have struggled throughout the history of the NFL. The defensive coordinators within the division have had all offseason to evaluate that QB's strengths and weaknesses.

With all the suspensions on defense and the young defensive backs does not bode well for a team that may need to win games with their defense early on. As much as this defense overachieved last season, they will likely need to overachieve at an all-time level to carry the team for six games.

Last season the Cowboys benefitted greatly from a last place schedule.This season it is a first place schedule and it is absolutely brutal. Aside from our own, always tough division, we play the Packers, Seattle, Arizona, Oakland, Kansas City and Atlanta. We also play the dreaded three games in eleven games and finish the season with three of four games on the road. Getting the season off to a good start was going to be paramount.

Again I know this sounds extremely negative, but since Jason Garrett has been a coach on this team we have yet to put together two consecutive good seasons. We have a very disturbing precedent of getting complacent after we have success. We also seem to fold like a cheap tent with any sign of adversity (see 2010 and 2015). I'm sorry to have to write this but I think it is best if we get ourselves ready for another long and wasted season.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I know this post is negative, but all the offseason signs point to another losing season following a great season.

The offensive line lost 40% of last season's starters and it doesn't appear that we have the answers in place yet. L. Collins really struggled in pass protection the other night against the Ram's back-ups. What will he do against JPP and VonMiller? The left guard spot is in shambles right now-and Chaz Green and Tyron Smith can't stay healthy. The depth we had last year is now gone. Any injuries to Zack or Travis Fredrick will have this line looking like the 2012 version.

Losing Zeke Elliott for six games is going to kill the start or our season I believe. We have a real good chance of losing our first three games and it'snot out of the question that we start out 2-4 or even1-5.Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink. Dak had well-defined reads because of how the opposing defenses were geared to stop Zeke. He could take any carry to the house and they knew it. No team out there is going to fear McFadden or Alfred Morris.

This means that Dak is going to see much more diverse coverages and different looks. It will be a huge learning curve for him in my opinion. If Dak struggles to read these coverages the offense will grind to a halt and He stands to lose some of the confidence that he portrayed last year. We must also keep in mind that the QB sophomore slump is a very reall thing. There is a reason that sophmore QB's have struggled throughout the history of the NFL. The defensive coordinators within the division have had all offseason to evaluate that QB's strengths and weaknesses.

With all the suspensions on defense and the young defensive backs does not bode well for a team that may need to win games with their defense early on. As much as this defense overachieved last season, they will likely need to overachieve at an all-time level to carry the team for six games.

Last season the Cowboys benefitted greatly from a last place schedule.This season it is a first place schedule and it is absolutely brutal. Aside from our own, always tough division, we play the Packers, Seattle, Arizona, Oakland, Kansas City and Atlanta. We also play the dreaded three games in eleven games and finish the season with three of four games on the road. Getting the season off to a good start was going to be paramount.

Again I know this sounds extremely negative, but since Jason Garrett has been a coach on this team we have yet to put together two consecutive good seasons. We have a very disturbing precedent of getting complacent after we have success. We also seem to fold like a cheap tent with any sign of adversity (see 2010 and 2015). I'm sorry to have to write this but I think it is best if we get ourselves ready for another long and wasted season.

No thank you.

aria

Reaction score
We'll be just fine. The O line isn't nearly as bad as you make it seem and Morris/McFadden will do enough to keep the chains moving and help us kill the clock like last year.

Luckily the first 6 games is the easiest stretch on the schedule and we should be able to win the same games without Zeke as we would have with him.

The defense has only improved and will continue to improve. We have added weapons at receiver and Dak has more experience.

Relax. No one was freaking out before the Zeke suspension and now they are. One RB does not make or break this team and even if he did we still have more than enough talent to win most of those games. Don't forget that EVERY team has their own problems and weaknesses that they need to deal with as well.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

First of all, Collins won't see JPP and/or Von Miller every week so ease off the panic button. Secondly, just about every team in the league is an OL injury or two away from trouble. It's not just us. We had an embarrassing wealth of riches last season that didn't in any way represent the norm in the NFL.

We aren't losing Zeke for six games. He'll appeal and it will get reduced. Even if we did lose him for that long, there is no reason to believe that our passing game will suddenly fall apart. We have a talented group of receivers who can threaten at every level of the field.

News flash, this was going to happen anyway. Having Zeke wasn't going to change how team prepared for Dak. The thing is, while they've had a full season now to study him, guess what, he's has a full season to grow and learn as well. And, I'm telling you right now, if there is one player who has proven how hard he's willing to work to get better, it's Dak. Im not worried about some suddenly horrendous sophomore slump and really don't think you should be. He'll take whats there and run when he needs to.

Even as rookies, Awuzie and Lewis are more gifted than what we had out there last season. Even if they aren't, they've got OScan and Brown to man the outside until those two come around. Again, we are FAR more talented at the position than we've been in as long as I can remember.

I agree, the schedule is brutal, but champions are forged in fire, not silly putty.

You'll never see me defend Jason Garrett, so yeah...

Jkyle

Reaction score
You may or may not be right when it's all said and done.
I don't put much stock into the 1st Place schedule hurting us.
We play Green Bay (home), who we beat last year, and we play the Falcons (away) and Seahawks (home) after Zeke returns, if it is 6, and if it's reduced to 4 games, he will play against GB.
Besides the Giants, we beat some top teams last year, GB and Steelers on the Road.
If we are good enough, we should want to play and beat any other 1st place team.
We were lucky with the lack of Offensive injuries last year so we could be unlucky this year, who knows.
Whether Zeke is gone for 6 or 4, and with the suspensions on Defense, we could find ourselves in a hole that we may have to claw our way out of to remain in playoff contention.
As always, injuries will play a big factor in determining our success.
But, all of the suspensions will exacerbate the situation because they are self imposed wounds and could make it harder to succeed.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are going to be a fair weather fan and you are already chalking this up to be a bad season before it starts.

Do me, and everyone else a favor, just stay off the boards so that is one less moaning groaning fan I have to read.

Thanks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

We werent winning the SB anyway so its not that big a deal to me. But it creates some very nice story lines going into the season that I am interested in seeing.

-Lets see how Dak does without as good a run game and Zeke. Is he just a solid leader and bus driver or can he carry the team game in and game out a la Romo. Will his picks go up with more pressure and adversity?

-How well can we run the ball without Zeke? (Not a big fans of McChicken or Morris) (Like Morris better)

-Will Garrett actually make a difference coaching when he is needed? This is where we need a head coach to pull out all the stops and keep us above water until Zeke comes back

-Can this defense hold up without the run game dominating and eating up the clock and keeping them rested?

-Will Rico and Switzer get more involved in the passing game, how will they do?

-Jaylon Bown.

Plenty of reasons to watch

texbumthelife

Reaction score
A few weeks into the season I should have said. If we start out real bad I can make a decision. You can just tell how a season is going.

Sure you can. We've also seen teams start out horrendous and finish strong, particularly when getting one of their best players back mid season.

It's going to be a fun and intriguing season I think. I don't think even at 100% we are ready to push to win it all yet, but we do have talent and stranger things have happened. Even if this team does pull a Garrett and go 8-8 I think it's a different team. We are younger and more talented as the skill positions than we've been in a long time.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
th

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Sure you can. We've also seen teams start out horrendous and finish strong, particularly when getting one of their best players back mid season.

It's going to be a fun and intriguing season I think. I don't think even at 100% we are ready to push to win it all yet, but we do have talent and stranger things have happened. Even if this team does pull a Garrett and go 8-8 I think it's a different team. We are younger and more talented as the skill positions than we've been in a long time.
Don't want 8-8. Can't even say that.......