Let's assume Dak gets what he wants

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Since there's a salary minimum, it's not true about the owner's liking their money being a factor. That is completely irrelevant. The dead money is only relevant as it pertains to being able to sign other players to improve the team.

The dead money is actual money paid to players who are no longer on the team. So it is only Monopoly money to you and me and the cap. But it is real money the owner paid and will get nothing in return. It is money flushed down the toilet.

Yes, all teams have dead money and it is part of the system and it affects competitiveness. But it is real money to the owner. Maybe they are rich beyond imagination and do not care.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mahomes just got his contract extension and is an elite QB.
Are you comparing Daks situation to Mahomes?
no, I am using the metrics you all use....according to many experts on this board, if a QB takes on 15% of the salary cap, then its impossible to win a superbowl, because it has never happened before....not my logic. theirs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mahomes Salary Cap Hit and projected % of team salary cap

2020: $5.36M 2.42% Cap %

2021: $24.8M 13.77% Cap %

2022: $31.4M 15.05% Cap %

Now obviously for 2021 and beyond his cap % will be determined by what the set salary cap is and what players are signed/released/drafted/etc. but the point is he is not taking up 25% of the team salary cap with his contract because he structured it in a way where it is in fact considered a team friendly deal. While you can argue that Dak can do the same type of deal, the fact is that Mahomes signed that deal AFTER winning a Super Bowl and now taking KC to another Super Bowl.......Dak can't begin to say that as he has never made it to a Conference Championship game.

fantastic potato man. I am so proud of you, I really am. glowing from pride....that you learn to distinguish between average and salary cap hit in a given year....that's huge progress....

.so your next challenge is given the 500M contract, and what you outlined is total of 61M, then there is 7 years and 440M left on the contract. does it mean Mahomes is going to average 62M/year ? does it mean then that KC should just dump Mahomes after 2022 given that its impossible to win a superbowl if a QB takes up more than 15% of salary cap according to you and your brothers. you think that's a wise move for KC to just dump Mahomes?

we are getting there, you are finally opening your eyes. I am proud of you old man....it just goes to show even an old dog can learn new tricks....:clap:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The dead money is actual money paid to players who are no longer on the team. So it is only Monopoly money to you and me and the cap. But it is real money the owner paid and will get nothing in return. It is money flushed down the toilet.

Yes, all teams have dead money and it is part of the system and it affects competitiveness. But it is real money to the owner. Maybe they are rich beyond imagination and do not care.
very true, but its part of doing business. and dead money on the cap is from actual money paid out as you said, not the contract value. it comes from gaurantees....and owners kind of like paying out later, money in the future is always worth less than money today, so that's why the new way of cap management is to push gaurantee money to the future....business 101

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Run heavy teams that play good defense have won Super Bowls in recent years.. The Seahawks, the Ravens (twice), the Steelers and Broncos leap immediately to mind. Teams that throw it all over the place and stink on defense never accomplish much of anything. Come to think of it that "stink on defense" thing might be a bigger factor than run/pass ratio. No team giving up more than 30 ppg has ever even sniffed a Super Bowl titles.. Teams that throw for big numbers have at least been in the hunt on occasion.

Interesting the difference between points for (PF) and points against (PA) for Dallas since Prescott arrived in 2016 (I also included Dak's passing yards per game average and team record too):

2016: 421 PF (average 26.3/ppg) 306 PA (average 19.125 ppg) Dak Passing 229/ypg Dallas Record 13-3

2017: 354 PF (average 22.125/ppg) 332 PA (average 20.75/ppg) Dak Passing 207/ypg Dallas Record 9-7

2018: 339 PF (average 21.19/ppg) 324 PA (average 20.25/ppg) Dak Passing 242/ypg Dallas Record 10-6

2019: 434 PF (average 27.125/ppg) 321 PA (average 20.06/ppg) Dak Passing 306/ypg Dallas Record 8-8

2020: 395 PF (average 24.69/ppg) 473 PA (average 29.56/ppg) Dak Passing 371/ypg Dallas Record 2-3 (only games Dak played; Dallas finished 6-10 overall)

So, looking at the statistics shows me that in 4 of 5 years of Dak as the starting QB, the Dallas defense was giving up roughly 20 points or less (20.05 to be exact) while the Dallas offense averaged 24.185 points per game in those same 4 years. Even more interesting is that when Dak's passing yards per game average was going up, the Dallas record was going down even while the defense remained consistent in terms of points allowed.

Therefore, I am not sure where you were getting the 30/points game against on average if you were referring to Dallas as with all due respect your statement that "Teams that throw for big numbers have at least been in the hunt on occasion.", at least when it comes to Dallas, is clearly wrong as the only thing Dak's excessive passing has Dallas in the hunt for is higher draft position.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Funny how I presume you are an adult yet you still name call like a damn child and it must really get under your skin to know that this old man would still shove your head up your ***.

You know this as well as I do, never argue with a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig likes it.

He would not call you potato man to your face...he would crap his pants, and I know he would not say something like that to my face.

Internet muscles is what that kid is.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, time to back it down on the personal insults and threats.

Hate to close the only Dak thread and have nothing to discuss.

Thanking you in advance.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Brady
Rodgers
Montana
Staubach
Just to name a few.

Brady didn’t have Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Bruschi, Troy Brown, Harrison, Ted Washington, Wilfork, Vrabel, Darelle Revis? I could go on all day.

Montana had Jerry Freaking Rice, Roger Craig, Lott, Dwight Clark, Jones, Wersching, Jack Reynolds, Michael Carter, Eric Wright, Solomon, Hicks, Cross, Dean. Just stopping here.

Rodgers had Charles Woodson, Clay Matthews, Kuhn, Greg Jennings, Cobb, Crosby, Jordy Nelson. Rodgers probably had the least talent of the group.

I think I proved my point.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
OK, time to back it down on the personal insults and threats.

Hate to close the only Dak thread and have nothing to discuss.

Thanking you in advance.

lol...the only Dak thread? Where you been, counselor?

csirl

Reaction score
I think you have this backwards. Troy would play until age 50 in today's "you can't even talk mean to the QB" league. It's the girls who can't be hit in today's game who would have trouble lasting in the eras when defenders could take the qb's head off and pick them up and body slam them. Oh and did I mention they played on AstroTurf? Which was basically green carpet over a concrete floor.

+1

Remember the 2 step rule? You could hit a QB after the ball was long gone (in todays terms) as long as you were within 2 strides when the ball left the QBs hand. Even if he was defenceless and head to head!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let assume Dak gets 40 and within 3 years that contract will not even be top 5 money. People are being very short sighted. Players know when they sign these deals that within a 2 to 3 year period that the going rate will be much higher. Players look to get theirs when FA come around. in 2018 Rodgers and Matt Ryan were the tops and now Rodgers is around top 5 and Matt Ryan is 9th highest paid QB. The cap continues to move and contracts continue to rise.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4 year deal at near 40 mil per.

If it didn't work out and you find yourself in a similar situation that the Rams were just in.

How many no 1's would you have to trade to rid yourself of Dak's (much worse than Goff's) contract and obtain a legitimate contending QB?
The problem with "what if's" is that you can come up with any number of them with both good and bad outcomes, and it's all speculation anyway. There certainly could be a bad outcome if Dak gets a big contract in Dallas. Could be a good one. The Cowboys just have to choose the "what if" they feel is most likely and go with that.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
OK, one day its 13% that's the limit, next day its 16% and now its 14%....Mahomes has average of 50M salary and that's 25% of 200M salary cap.....so how did they make it there?

Mahomes’ extension does not kick in until 2022. His cap hit for 2020 is $5M (2.5% of cap). In 2021 his cap hit is $25M (25/180=14%). Cap hit of $31M in 2022 and $42M in 2023. The Chiefs did it by extending his rookie deal which had two years left by 5 years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mahomes’ extension does not kick in until 2022. His cap hit for 2020 is $5M (2.5% of cap). In 2021 his cap hit is $25M (25/180=14%). Cap hit of $31M in 2022 and $42M in 2023. The Chiefs did it by extending his rookie deal which had two years left by 5 years.
I know that, but I said purposely, since annual cap hit, vs. annual average of a contract are two different things as you outlined. with that said, 42M in 2023, I guess we can write off KC in winning the superbowl because the percentages dont' support them winning it....and perhaps KC should just cut or trade mahomes and look for their next QB because they just won't have a chance.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let assume Dak gets 40 and within 3 years that contract will not even be top 5 money. People are being very short sighted. Players know when they sign these deals that within a 2 to 3 year period that the going rate will be much higher. Players look to get theirs when FA come around. in 2018 Rodgers and Matt Ryan were the tops and now Rodgers is around top 5 and Matt Ryan is 9th highest paid QB. The cap continues to move and contracts continue to rise.
:hammer:

finally. an adult in the room with some logic and no agenda.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Interesting the difference between points for (PF) and points against (PA) for Dallas since Prescott arrived in 2016 (I also included Dak's passing yards per game average and team record too):

2016: 421 PF (average 26.3/ppg) 306 PA (average 19.125 ppg) Dak Passing 229/ypg Dallas Record 13-3

2017: 354 PF (average 22.125/ppg) 332 PA (average 20.75/ppg) Dak Passing 207/ypg Dallas Record 9-7

2018: 339 PF (average 21.19/ppg) 324 PA (average 20.25/ppg) Dak Passing 242/ypg Dallas Record 10-6

2019: 434 PF (average 27.125/ppg) 321 PA (average 20.06/ppg) Dak Passing 306/ypg Dallas Record 8-8

2020: 395 PF (average 24.69/ppg) 473 PA (average 29.56/ppg) Dak Passing 371/ypg Dallas Record 2-3 (only games Dak played; Dallas finished 6-10 overall)

So, looking at the statistics shows me that in 4 of 5 years of Dak as the starting QB, the Dallas defense was giving up roughly 20 points or less (20.05 to be exact) while the Dallas offense averaged 24.185 points per game in those same 4 years. Even more interesting is that when Dak's passing yards per game average was going up, the Dallas record was going down even while the defense remained consistent in terms of points allowed.

Therefore, I am not sure where you were getting the 30/points game against on average if you were referring to Dallas as with all due respect your statement that "Teams that throw for big numbers have at least been in the hunt on occasion.", at least when it comes to Dallas, is clearly wrong as the only thing Dak's excessive passing has Dallas in the hunt for is higher draft position.
what stands out to me, based on those stats we should have won more games, but bad coaching, bad in game decisions contributed to many losses, this is not a Dak excuse or debate, but that coaching has probably a great impact on final results. in 2019, we lost games in NO, Minn, Patriots where bad coaching decisions pulled losses from jaws of victory.....garrett was never known for his in game decision making. again, not making excuses, but man, I was screaming at the screen against minnesotta when we couldn't rush the ball, were passing at will and they decided to run the ball when they got close to the end zone and then two stupid stupid stupid pass plays to Zeke....I mean I almost threw my shoe at the screen before my wife stopped me

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys should have offered the $32.5 million per year in 2019 instead of holding steady at $30 million.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I know that, but I said purposely, since annual cap hit, vs. annual average of a contract are two different things as you outlined. with that said, 42M in 2023, I guess we can write off KC in winning the superbowl because the percentages dont' support them winning it....and perhaps KC should just cut or trade mahomes and look for their next QB because they just won't have a chance.....

:)Yes, KC needs to cut their future losses right after the SB this year and trade Mahomes for Dak :)