Let's not forget about the Penalties

aikemirv

Reaction score
Slight facemask?

It was clear as day and he grabbed it with his finger. That was clear facemask.

I won't disagree with the missed holds, they were bad. But a foul is a foul and Joseph clearly grabbed the facemask there. There's no need to debate the refs by then trying to soften how bad some of our penalties actually were.

The other thing is the amount of non-play penalties we get. False starts, etc. Sure, Wilson getting that unsportmanslike penalty seemed a bit ticky tack but there's no reason to slap that ball away like that regardless of the circumstances. That's just dumb play right there. Dallas needs to clean that crap up.
It was clear but is the only option there a 15 yarder? Because that was not a personal foul facemask, that was illegal contact - hands to the face

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah agree on all points. Shepherd was just wandering on the route and that's why it should have been called IMO

Whether he was wandering on the route or not, he has a right to run his route. That was not OPI. And if it had been reversed and it was Brown or Lamb who ran into a DB, this board would be kicking and screaming about what an egregious call it was.

Sydla

Reaction score
It was clear but is the only option there a 15 yarder? Because that was not a personal foul facemask, that was illegal contact - hands to the face

They got rid of the 5 yard facemask years ago. They are all 15 yarders now.

It was not hands to the face. He literally grabbed the facemask with his hand. Again, it's hard to take people seriously with their criticism of refs and their calls against us when you then turn around and try to argue something like Joseph not grabbing the facemask there.

Now I did have a problem with the Jones/Williams late hit. Even the in the booth referee analyst on ESPN seemed to think it was a bad call because Williams had already committed and Jones technically wasn't out of bounds yet.

So I have four really bad calls last night, three that hurt the Cowboys

- No PI on the Brown play
- No hold on the 2nd Brown play
- Williams late hit on Jones
- OPI on Shepard

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let's not forget about these penalties...constantly putting us in worse situations...taking away a sack in one case.

We need to still play aggressive, but play smart.

I'm wondering is the media will forget about the penalties...but they need to cut them down.

Was glad McCarthy did not forget about it and made mention of the penalties at post game interview. Also glad he sees acknowledge there was much work to do to clean up plays.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Whether he was wandering on the route or not, he has a right to run his route. That was not OPI. And if it had been reversed and it was Brown or Lamb who ran into a DB, this board would be kicking and screaming about what an egregious call it was.
He does not really have the right to run his route if the route takes him into the other WR's defender. They call that every week. His wandering makes it even more egregious even though it looked like he was not intentionally getting in the way. I could make it look like I did not see the defender every play if I wanted. That's why God gave me peripheral vision.

Sydla

Reaction score
He does not really have the right to run his route if the route takes him into the other WR's defender. They call that every week. His wandering makes it even more egregious even though it looked like he was not intentionally getting in the way. I could make it look like I did not see the defender every play if I wanted. That's why God gave me peripheral vision.

Actually he does have a right to run his route. Teams run pick plays all the time that often go uncalled because as long as the WR is running a route, if he contacts a defender, it goes uncalled. It's when a WR either just flat out blocks a guy or isn't running a route that the pick gets called.

Again, there is zero chance if that had been Lamb and he got called for it, you'd be complaining what an egregious call it was.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Slight facemask?

It was clear as day and he grabbed it with his finger. That was clear facemask.

I won't disagree with the missed holds, they were bad. But a foul is a foul and Joseph clearly grabbed the facemask there. There's no need to debate the refs by then trying to soften how bad some of our penalties actually were.

The other thing is the amount of non-play penalties we get. False starts, etc. Sure, Wilson getting that unsportmanslike penalty seemed a bit ticky tack but there's no reason to slap that ball away like that regardless of the circumstances. That's just dumb play right there. Dallas needs to clean that crap up.
I agree, it was an obvious facemask. I meant that, as face masks go (momentarily turned his head about 30 degrees), that was minor when compared to how incredibly obvious some of those holds were. I was also very surprised that we didn't get flagged for illegal motion at all. There were several times where it looked to me like our guy in motion either didn't stop and set long enough, or was moving forward at the snap.

All in all, it was just a very poorly officiated game.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I'm not a body language expert and am obviously biased, but noticing what you noticed, I thought he looked like he knew he and his crew were doing a lousy job.
Agree. He looked miserable the whole game.

75boyz

Reaction score
Hard to ignore and usually are the reason for why a drive stalled offensively or a drive extended defensively.

Still needs lotsa work.

J-man

Reaction score
You're dead right, we need to clean up the penalties. They are hurting our chances, if not costing us the ability to win games.
A well coached team shouldn't be doing that. Big Mike can prove he's a good coach by reining those in.