Let's say Tank is traded

Verdict

Reaction score
What do you think the team will do in Tanks absence?

Options?

1. Play Gregory and Crawford at DE.
2. Play Gregory and Armstrong
3. Play Gregory and Taco.
4. Play Gregory and a free agent or draft pick.

While this may not sound appealing to some, Crawford isn't a bad DE, and you have to realize Tank took time to develop. There is a reasonable expectation that Armstrong or Taco may improve substantially this year.

I think Taco is weak as a pass rusher but is good at stopping the run. How much is the 5 or 6 sack difference worth?

CelticPunk

Reaction score

Options?

While this may not sound appealing to some, Crawford isn't a bad DE, and you have to realize Tank took time to develop. There is a reasonable expectation that Armstrong or Taco may improve substantially this year.

I think Taco is weak as a pass rusher but is good at stopping the run. How much is the 5 or 6 sack difference worth?
We struggled for years to get a decent pass rush. Our defense is now improving... in large part because of D Law. Why would we trade him? Just my opinion, but I don't think you can ever have too much talent in the trenches. That's where the battles are won or lost.

Verdict

Reaction score
We struggled for years to get a decent pass rush. Our defense is now improving... in large part because of D Law. Why would we trade him? Just my opinion, but I don't think you can ever have too much talent in the trenches. That's where the battles are won or lost.

I agree. But we can't overpay and end up with another Dez.

DHCBF66

Reaction score

Options?

some do not want to hear it (nor do I) but Tank could very well be traded. We have no 1st rounder, we get a shot at 2 1st rounders for him he could be gone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Options?

Simply by extrapolating out Gregory's snap count to a full load, sacks project to 9. Give him a full offseason after a season of playing, instead of coming back for training camp after being away for a year and a half, and it's reasonable to expect more than that.

Taco has been a disappointment, but Crawford just keeps delivering. Between Gregory, Taco, Crawford, and Armstrong, that's a better rotation than we've had in a lot of years.

Other sacks. Jaylon is very effective rushing from LB. I heard some stat that his sacks per rush were huge. Use that more, squeeze out a few more sacks.

Maybe Maliek gives us more?

The other question to ask: what would we see *with* Tank? Last 10 games it was 4 sacks. Last 26 it was 14.5. To whom does that look worth 20mil?

If some other team will give us something for a trade, I'm all over it.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I need to know what he’s traded for. There are some strong DEs in this year’s draft. I’m assuming we get a 1 and a high one at that.

I still think if they lose Tank they’d sign Clowney.

But they really need to sign Tank.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
some do not want to hear it (nor do I) but Tank could very well be traded. We have no 1st rounder, we get a shot at 2 1st rounders for him he could be gone.

I’m not sure you could get one 1st rounder for him, much less two, considering he is not under contract. Nobody is going to give up too much for a guy they can only be guaranteed to have under the franchise tag for one season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then the defense the Cowboys have finally built will collapse. That's what happens.

People are trying to cobble together a scenario where the team somehow gets sacks from Taco and Crawford. That's how's the level of desperation. Half of the mediocre sacks the team did get were not only from Lawrence, but because of him. He was the threat that demanded double and triple teams and freed up the others to have even the mediocre numbers they did.

Take him out of the equation and you have no pass rush once again and we're back to pining for a War Daddy. That we had and let get away.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Those first 3 options we are SCREWED. None of those guys you can depend on to play 16 straight games and now you are going to roll the dice and depend on these cats.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I have questions for the OP. Who on the current roster can we get a first round pick for? Do you want the Cowboys to become the Raiders?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I agree. But we can't overpay and end up with another Dez.

Dez is a WR - D-Law is a pass rusher. One wasn’t a worthy risk, this one is.

We tried Crawford as a starter, didn’t work. Why are you even counting on Gregory? He’s not reliable. Charlton hasn’t shown enough positives to suggest he can be counted on.

Stop thinking so much, you have too much time on your hands.

Again, i’ll never understand this place wanting to hand out big contracts to skill positions and then wet their beds at the thought of paying defensive players.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
DLaw side is Taco's natural position. That get his production up. I don't think he will ever be the pass rusher that DLaw has become.

superonyx

Reaction score

Options?

Wait...

Isn’t it against the collective bargaining agreement rules to franchise a player just to trade him?
That a way of blocking a free agent from choosing his destination and getting what the open market will give him.

Pants

Reaction score
*sigh*

first Jones, now Tank.....how long before the "What can we get for the combination of LVE and Smith?"

just sign the big feller and stop worrying about who will apply the most pressure on game day

LittleD

Reaction score

You just can't overpay everyone on the team. The Pats make a habit of not overpaying their players and they compete just fine. Just franchise DLaw for one additional season and then let him get his best deal on the
open market. With his back, we need to be smart. Next year we will have to franchise Dak. Welcome to the new NFL.