Let's say Tank is traded

superonyx

Reaction score
Page 8, top of page.

You certainly seem to be saying them picking up the option is a sign they want to retain him. If I misread it, my apologies.

And again there was no risk to the option. Even if Foles accepted it, the Eagles would have not carried him beyond day three of the league year. And taken no cap hit for it.
I guess I wasnt very clear. When I said its a sign they want to retain him I was speaking about them showing a level of good faith so they couldnt be accused by the NFLPA of pulling a procedural move just for the sake of stealing his free agency.

I agree its a moot point anyway. It seems like the players who have challenged teams doing this have generally lost in the end.

The Patriots were allowed to trade Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel (now Titans head coach) to the Chiefs for a 2009 second round pick (34th overall) while the quarterback was designated a franchise player in 2009. It was obvious New England wasn't going to pay Cassel $14.651 million to be Tom Brady's backup once he recovered from the torn ACL that sidelined him for practically all of the 2008 season. The type of language in question was a part of the labor agreement in existence when Cassel's designation was made.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...foles-heres-a-look-at-possible-risks-rewards/

millennial_legend

Reaction score
You stated that Philly picking up the option shows they want to retain him.

That’s not a “fact”.

And it’s not speculation as to what Philly wants to do. It’s pretty well established what they want to try to do with Foles. The Eagles came out and said Wentz is their guy going forward so the notion they would then carry a backup QB at 20MM with the cap problems they have is laughable. It’s been well reported nationally and locally that the Eagles want to trade Foles. The Eagles haven’t even come out to refute the reports and state they might want to keep Foles.

Picking up an option isn’t cover for them. It was their ONLY MOVE to try and trade him. It was purely procedural in their process to try to trade him.

The league would laugh at them just like they would to us like you claim.
Maybe they're playing 3D chess with everyone and are actually trying to deal Wentz for a king's ransom while he's still a hot item? Maybe there is more to the back injury that only the Eagles know about and are keeping hushed up?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe they're playing 3D chess with everyone and are actually trying to deal Wentz for a king's ransom while he's still a hot item? Maybe there is more to the back injury that only the Eagles know about and are keeping hushed up?
Wentz would have to pass a physical for a trade to be consummated

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure he could pass a physical, as could Tyron Smith on a bad day, but... what if it's a degenerate thing with Wentz?
If the Eagles know and don’t reveal it there is a liability problem, both for not disclosing the issue to the team they trade Wentz to, and for any injury Wentz might have that is even possibly related to the degenerative problem. Not to mention it would be a huge violation of league rules. Of course, if the Eagles know, then Wentz knows, and part of a physical is answering questions about your health. Would we really expect Wentz to lie to cover up the Eagles lie?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
If the Eagles know and don’t reveal it there is a liability problem, both for not disclosing the issue to the team they trade Wentz to, and for any injury Wentz might have that is even possibly related to the degenerative problem. Not to mention it would be a huge violation of league rules. Of course, if the Eagles know, then Wentz knows, and part of a physical is answering questions about your health. Would we really expect Wentz to lie to cover up the Eagles lie?
no, but, shady organizations can get away with a lot - you'd be surprised

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no, but, shady organizations can get away with a lot - you'd be surprised

Maybe you would be surprised that many teams understand risk/reward, and the reward in this case wouldn’t be worth the risk. If Wentz were to get injured after the Eagles failed to disclose the medical issue, the financial liability could be huge, not to mention the sanctions from the league, and the fact everyone that knew would lose their job and would possibly be banned from further employment in the NFL.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Maybe you would be surprised that many teams understand risk/reward, and the reward in this case wouldn’t be worth the risk. If Wentz were to get injured after the Eagles failed to disclose the medical issue, the financial liability could be huge, not to mention the sanctions from the league, and the fact everyone that knew would lose their job and would possibly be banned from further employment in the NFL.
after the baby slaps on the wrists the fraudulent Aints and Cheatriots got, probably not nearly that harsh...... unless it was the Cowboys

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
after the baby slaps on the wrists the fraudulent Aints and Cheatriots got, probably not nearly that harsh...... unless it was the Cowboys

This is entirely different. Look at the attention to concussions. Why the attention? Because the NFL has lost large amounts of money in lawsuits. This isn’t years ago when you gave a kid a pain shot and sent him on the field. Now there are large legal settlements, not to mention lost jobs on the line.

SSoup

Reaction score
I don't see anyone offering us a very rich trade for him. Any draft pick high enough to pick what looks like a stud pass-rusher (who will be playing for peanuts for the next 5 years) is probably not going to be offered to us for Lawrence. They'd just spend it on the rookie themselves.

And I'm even fine with overpaying Lawrence for the next few years. I understand that, if we weaken our pass rush by an appreciable bit, it makes our entire defense worse. Our suddenly strong secondary immediately gets exposed more often because they're asked to hold up longer than is realistic. Our two young stud LBs, suddenly they're asked to keep up with TEs or RBs (or, God forbid, WRs on occasion) even longer, and they end up probably being burned more. Our run defense, not exactly at a famous high-point right now, suffers because we have to gear up even more for the pass thanks to the absence of one of our best defenders against the passing game.

I just think the team, privately, needs to decide they want to frontload a good bunch of the contract they give him, so they can cleanly (and relatively cheaply) part ways when he goes south before the contract runs its course. It's honestly not that hard to avoid dead money headaches if you exercise a little restraint and foresight during the drawing-up of the contract. Instead of building in little escape hatches allowing you to push money into the future to buy yourself out of cap trouble as you go (by putting it on the credit card and worrying about it later), use that creativity to scrape together more money up-front so the contract is more painless later on.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don't trade Dlaw unless your getting multiple high draft picks. Theres plenty of cap room to keep him since we can't easily replace him and then get a good DT to shore up the middle so teams can't wash the DE's out of the play! Then add a good FA safety, there are several to choose from who can be a big improvement not just ET if he's too exp.