Let's talk about Bret Maher

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I noticed last year that when near FG range the team would also run to the left hash all the time to put it where Maher is somewhat reliable and then they would try to score or make the 1st down. If I can see the tendency obviously defensive coordinators do. Combined with the team stubbornly running in to 8 man fronts it set us way behind in down and distance. Hopefully our new OC goes against tendencies.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I don't know who is out there that is worthy, but man, it's going to come back and bite us in the butt if we don't seriously consider looking around. I can just see him missing a game winning FG attempt.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Our kicker situation is almost like our backup QB position. Makes you shake your head.

True but odds of seeing our backup QB makes me smile. Not so for our kicker.......he's going cost us at least one game, just watch (LOL).

glimmerman

Reaction score
I was expecting him to miss the close one and was surprised he missed the 50+ yarder. There had to be a kid out there kicking. Get me Bailey back.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If it’s only 1 game I feel we got lucky.
He is shaky as hell and I believe he has been this way for a while.
He is in his own head at this point. He maybe done. I would rather try to bring Bailey home and see if we could rebuild his confidence with the team.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The Cowboys have got to bring some kickers in this week, Maher is all over the place with his fieldgoals and extra points, even the ones that go through the uprights are barely inside the uprights....cannot trust Maher in a meaningful game..

slick325

Reaction score
I would have had kickers in throughout the offseason if I were in the FO. The guy is shaky at best. I wouldn't even be concerned about whether the player is a "lesser known kicker", because honestly, just one year ago Maher WAS a lesser known guy to most of us and he beat out Bailey. They've gone with the lesser known commodity before so do it again if he beats out the incumbent.

You can't miss from 35 as a professional kicker unless there are gail force winds. This guy could cost this team several wins and possible seeding advantages with his schizophrenic kicking.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a lesser known kicker

Matt Bryant is still available

Kicker, punter, SS, and TE still need to be upgraded prior to the season

glimmerman

Reaction score
Even some of the kicks he made were ugly.

Cut him.
And I mean teal ugly. The guy is in his own head at this point. Likely not going to get better. Last year he missed his first attempt and then went on a run. Now he is just getting worse..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have had kickers in throughout the offseason if I were in the FO. The guy is shaky at best. I wouldn't even be concerned about whether the player is a "lesser known kicker", because honestly, just one year ago Maher WAS a lesser known guy to most of us and he beat out Bailey. They've gone with the lesser known commodity before so do it again if he beats out the incumbent.

You can't miss from 35 as a professional kicker unless there are gail force winds. This guy could cost this team several wins and possible seeding advantages with his schizophrenic kicking.

It was pretty windy there. Still need another K though.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A PK on a team that has yet to prove it's not a RZ scoring TD's problem, must have that guy. Too many close games last season and don't know how this one will unfold.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be a lesser known kicker

Matt Bryant is still available

Kicker, punter, SS, and TE still need to be upgraded prior to the season

Not seen a game yet. Thought C. Jones was an all pro punter? Don't tell me ST will keep this team from reaching it goals.