Let's talk about Byron Jones

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Byron will get resigned if he gets 5 plus ints this year.

Jones will be resigned if he has 2 years in a row where the QB refuses to target him and he keeps WRs in check.

How about the other DBs step up who are being targeted more often? How about we start looking at them?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Im saying well trade him before he gets paid. Hes not sitting out the whole season. Hell be back to accrue a season

We HAVE to stop mentioning accruing a season in regards to Zeke. It's non-applicable.

Zeke could sit out the entire year, play next season and be a UFA after that. He has no need to show up week 1, week 4, week 10, week 69.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not going to pay corners unless their depth goes away. Right now they have 4 good quality starters in Jones, Awuzie, Lewis and Brown. Brown is not great all the time but serviceable.

Just keep finding good quality in the draft.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
One consistent trend is he doesn't get turnovers and while I'd love to bring him back......if he's not getting turnovers you can't justify paying him top CB money.

LOL what? So, if he yet again shuts down WRs for most of the year and QBs targeting him have low ratings, that's not enough? He needs to get turnovers?

And what is that mark for turnovers? 3? 4? 5? There are DBs that are absolute trash in this league that get 3-4 INTs a year. There are shut down corners, ball hawks, and then the absolute elites that do both. Jones has the ability to shut down, that's extremely valuable.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We HAVE to stop mentioning accruing a season in regards to Zeke. It's non-applicable.

Zeke could sit out the entire year, play next season and be a UFA after that. He has no need to show up week 1, week 4, week 10, week 69.

Tis true but he does need to show so his contrcat does not toll. Then he would be stuck with the Cowboys 4 more years at this time next year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't think Jones is the type of player a team like this re-signs. If he continues to be very good and walks, they can get a comp pick out of it and keep drafting CBs.

He's very good in coverage, I like having him on the team. But if you look at a team like the Eagles they build their defensive success around having a great DL rotation and good safety play. If Woods/Wilson can get Heath off the field for good and give us better safety play, combined with a DL rotation that's looking real nice, the CBs become less important overall.

You don't rid of great players to keep JAGs at another position. It's easier to replace Woods/Wilson than Jones.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I understand the frustration with his lack of interceptions. However, I will take him every day of every week over a player like Brandon Carr who has had 6 interceptions the last two years.

Besides, if he is shutting receivers down like he did til he got hurt, the interceptions are going to other players anyway cause the ball wasn't going his way very often.

I also understand that you can't pay top $ at all positions. So, if you believe you can truly replace him for less money, fine. But understand its a gamble. No one will remember that we saved a few dollars if you return to mediocrity.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
You must've forgot about Derek Ross in 2002. He was considered a rising player after starting 9 games and leading all rookies with 5 interceptions, which was also the most by a Cowboys rookie since Everson Walls registered 11 interceptions in 1981. He missed the final 2 games with a hip contusion. He also had 12 passes defensed (led the team) and 67 tackles (ninth on the team).
To be fair, aside from Emmitt breaking the rushing record, 2002 was a season most of us would like to forget. Hard Knocks, Head Coach Dave Campo, starting QB Chad Hutchinson, losing to the Texans in their first game ever, 5-11 for the 3rd straight season.......oh gawd it's all coming back to me!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Tis true but he does need to show so his contrcat does not toll. Then he would be stuck with the Cowboys 4 more years at this time next year.
Nope. It would not add a year.

If a first rounder has his 5th yesr option picked up he can skip the 4th year(losing his entire salary for that year), come back and play on his 5th year option, and he would then be a unrestricted free agent after that 5th year option. No strings attached.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL what? So, if he yet again shuts down WRs for most of the year and QBs targeting him have low ratings, that's not enough? He needs to get turnovers?

What? What? what?

And what is that mark for turnovers? 3? 4? 5? There are DBs that are absolute trash in this league that get 3-4 INTs a year. There are shut down corners, ball hawks, and then the absolute elites that do both. Jones has the ability to shut down, that's extremely valuable.
He needs to make PLAYS. I don't care if they come in the form of deflection, interception, strips or whatever.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Jones will be resigned if he has 2 years in a row where the QB refuses to target him and he keeps WRs in check.

How about the other DBs step up who are being targeted more often? How about we start looking at them?
He’s not getting signed here because 1. While he played good last year he got exposed late in the year. 2. Other teams would pay more. 3. We have more important players to sign than a guy who just covers well MOST of the time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys have shown they aren't going to re-sign the Anthony Hitchens of the world and will re-sign the Demarcus Lawrence's......to me he's closer to Hitchens than he is Lawrence in regards to how this team views him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Didn’t know that. Ok......damn

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly! And that's what he did last year, and his sophomore year.
What he did his sophomore year is moot. He needs to make more plays this year than last to be retained. If it was up to me I'd bring him back.But I think this team views Chido and possibly Anthony Brown as guys who can fill in.