Let's talk about Byron Jones

kskboys

Reaction score
Nope. It would not add a year.

If a first rounder has his 5th yesr option picked up he can skip the 4th year(losing his entire salary for that year), come back and play on his 5th year option, and he would then be a unrestricted free agent after that 5th year option. No strings attached.
I hv no idea myself, but the other day the guys were saying that if he sits this season, his salary for this year moves to next season w/ the 9 mil going for the season after.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
We haven't had a ball hawk since Deion. I'm happy with a shut down corner any day of the week. I hope they keep Jones, but if he plays as well as he did last year he might be the odd man out.
,,,er,,,#38 has inadvertently ( once again & as usual) fortunately has found a couple of spare seconds per season ,out of his ongoing Cowboy's Career ,in trying to teach his fellow underling's ,in the finer points about that Art of "Ball hawking" ,,,as I was feeling somewhat compelled in just pointing out that obvious fact, ya know. o_O

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He’s not getting signed here because 1. While he played good last year he got exposed late in the year. 2. Other teams would pay more. 3. We have more important players to sign than a guy who just covers well MOST of the time.

1. I keep hearing that he got "exposed" - I remember him being in good position against a WR in the Giants game, but a great throw resulted in a TD. I have not seen anyone post grades that showed he was "exposed" - being a shut down WR and then giving up some passes doesn't go from shutdown to being exposed. But I'll happily look at any statistic that shows he sucked.

2. We don't know that

3. Like who? There is Dak, Zeke, and Cooper. Two are skill positions, one is a QB. The QB is the most important, you can sign both Dak and Jones and even one of the skill positions and we'd be doing just fine.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I hv no idea myself, but the other day the guys were saying that if he sits this season, his salary for this year moves to next season w/ the 9 mil going for the season after.
I trust Sptorac which what he says.

This has never happened before to my knowledge so I guess there are conflicting reports.

John813

Reaction score

If a first rounder has his 5th yesr option picked up he can skip the 4th year(losing his entire salary for that year), come back and play on his 5th year option, and he would then be a unrestricted free agent after that 5th year option. No strings attached.

Pretty sure his contract gets tolled if he misses the season.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...nd-shouldnt-pay-ezekiel-elliott/#5ebeb00738da
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...olding-out-to-get-new-deals-from-their-teams/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...-deadline-fines-signing-bonus-penalties-toll/

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I like how Byron played last year but dudes actin like Evans and Hopkins didn’t expose him. Nelson aghlor had a huge catch on him as well. He’s not (that guy) yet so stop acting like he proved he was.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Not true. His contract tolls. He would be in year 4

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He needs to make PLAYS. I don't care if they come in the form of deflection, interception, strips or whatever.

He had 14 deflections last season and 10 in his second year. The guy obviously does get to the ball. And, yet again, he wasn't targeted a ton last year and still got his hands on the ball 14 times.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
1. I keep hearing that he got "exposed" - I remember him being in good position against a WR in the Giants game, but a great throw resulted in a TD. I have not seen anyone post grades that showed he was "exposed" - being a shut down WR and then giving up some passes doesn't go from shutdown to being exposed. But I'll happily look at any statistic that shows he sucked.

2. We don't know that

3. Like who? There is Dak, Zeke, and Cooper. Two are skill positions, one is a QB. The QB is the most important, you can sign both Dak and Jones and even one of the skill positions and we'd be doing just fine.
1. I didn’t say he sucked I said exposed. Watch Tampa, Houston game as well as him getting beat by eagle and giant scrub receivers. I don’t have to provide you any proof go find it yourself.

2. I do know that. Jesus. Does Dallas strike you as a team willing to pay guys top dollar? You think no other 31 teams will pay Byron more than Dallas? Stop being a clown.

3. If they can pay everyone and be fine so be it. Ok

mattjames2010

Reaction score
1. I didn’t say he sucked I said exposed. Watch Tampa, Houston game as well as him getting beat by eagle and giant scrub receivers. I don’t have to provide you any proof go find it yourself.

2. I do know that. Jesus. Does Dallas strike you as a team willing to pay guys top dollar? You think no other 31 teams will pay Byron more than Dallas? Stop being a clown.

3. If they can pay everyone and be fine so be it. Ok

1. You stated late in the season he got exposed, I want to see the grades on this. He lost a matchup against Hopkins, a top 3 WR in the league. So let's say Evans, a top 5 WR in the league, did get a good play on him - that's not exactly what I would consider "exposed"

2. DBs are perfectly affordable, Kyle Fuller is getting around $14 mil a year, and Jones played better around Fuller's level last year. If Jones has another season with quality play, he is certainly worth $14 mil or slightly more due to market growth.

kskboys

Reaction score
I trust Sptorac which what he says.

This has never happened before to my knowledge so I guess there are conflicting reports.
Yeah, and I'm not interested enough to research it!!!!

As you say, it will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He had 14 deflections last season and 10 in his second year. The guy obviously does get to the ball. And, yet again, he wasn't targeted a ton last year and still got his hands on the ball 14 times.
Understood but its about where you are putting your resources. I don't know if you are defending him or you are defending paying him. I like Byron. I think he's a solid player. But you can't pay elite money for solid. Corner is somewhat like what the running back position has become. Do you pay big money or just constantly draft guys to take that spot? I'd love to bring him back just not sure if its realistic.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
1. You stated late in the season he got exposed, I want to see the grades on this. He lost a matchup against Hopkins, a top 3 WR in the league. So let's say Evans, a top 5 WR in the league, did get a good play on him - that's not exactly what I would consider "exposed"

2. DBs are perfectly affordable, Kyle Fuller is getting around $14 mil a year, and Jones played better around Fuller's level last year. If Jones has another season with quality play, he is certainly worth $14 mil or slightly more due to market growth.
1. Go find the grades.

2. Answer the question. Will Dallas reset the market with Jones if he’s a top cb again? You know the answer but again you want to be a clown. I KNOW another team would gladly reset the market with a 26 year old top tier cb even without the interceptions

mattjames2010

Reaction score
1. Go find the grades.

2. Answer the question. Will Dallas reset the market with Jones if he’s a top cb again? You know the answer but again you want to be a clown. I KNOW another team would gladly reset the market with a 26 year old top tier cb even without the interceptions

What is "top tier CB" money to you? Jones would not get paid like a Rhodes or Prime Peterson if their contracts were up - as I pointed out, he's like Fuller, he'll most likely get a top 10 CB deal. There is always a chance a team is stupid and overpays, but the simple fact is, we don't know this until the ink is dry and it's reported. What Jones is worth is perfectly affordable for us and a skill position player shouldn't hold us back from keeping this defense together.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What is "top tier CB" money to you? Jones would not get paid like a Howard or Prime Peterson if their contracts were up - as I pointed out, he's like Fuller, he'll most likely get a top 10 CB deal. There is always a chance a team is stupid and overpays, but the simple fact is, we don't know this until the ink is dry and it's reported. What Jones is worth is perfectly affordable for us and a skill position player shouldn't hold us back from keeping this defense together.
So Dallas can pay Zeke, Dak Cooper and Byron? Ok

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He just had a really nice speech at the luncheon. I think he's a big fan of the decision makers of the team.

He's another guy that I can see signing a 'team friendly deal' like Jaylon Smith did to stick around. I'm just not sure if there's enough money to keep him.

jnday

Reaction score
I never understood the hoopla over him. Doesn't seem agile enough to me.
I don’t consider him a true top CB due to lack of interceptions. He ‘s good, but not great.