Let's talk about the Bills

Billabong

Reaction score
Sup everyone. Bills fan here.

The Bills are a solid team this year. I've been watching since the 90s and this is the best team we've had in recent memory. To say that feels amazing. We've only made the playoffs once in 18 years! But that's what you get when you can't draft a QB.

The national narrative about us not beating anyone "good" is accurate but overblown. I do believe the Cowboys are in a similar boat.

On to it...

Defense

It's a team defense. No one, other than maybe CB White and LB Milano, stands out. They tackle well and swarm. They're ranked No. 3 and deserve that rank. Not up to the Pats' standards but still very good. DC Frazier is solid IMO.
  • Secondary: Lights out, built to beat Tom Brady. White has shut down every top WR he's played against and the safeties are playmakers, too.
  • LBs: A bit undersized, as they're built to beat the Pats with speed. They might struggle against Elliot, who will likely be the centerpiece of your attack Thursday. Browns' Chubb destroyed them. I expect a big game out of your RBs.
  • DL: They've found themselves in recent games, generating massive pressure, but they haven't faced a line like Dallas'. I'm curious if they give Prescott trouble and what kind of game they play.
Offense

Coming into their own. OC Daboll changes the game for the opponent. Last two weeks, we ran a no-huddle to good success. But I really can't put my finger on what its "identity" is. In the first half of the year, he was criticized for being too cute for his own good. He's simplified recently, moved upstairs to the box, and it's paid off.
  • QB: Allen's a gamer. And he's the franchise guy we've been waiting for. Ignore the national narrative. He passes just about every eye test. His stats are mediocre but his ceiling is immense. His intermediate game--where games are won IMO--has improved immensely from last year. Something like a 20% efficiency improvement. He's getting rid of the ball quicker, too, and not playing hero ball anymore, which is good. He had a horrible game against the Pats early in the year but has thrown only one INT since then. He's taking care of the rock and taking chances when needed. He also knows how to make a defender look silly with his slippery-ness. He's big, strong and fast.
  • O line: Very good in the run game. Spotty in pass protection--Allen at times has been running for his life. But they did very well against Denver last week so maybe they're coming into their own, too. We'll see. Last year the line was awful.
  • Skill players: New WRs Brown and Beasley (thanks guys!) have been dynamite. I expect big days from both of them. Our TEs are also brand new. RB Singletary (new) is No. 2 in the league with efficiency. He cranks 6 yards every time he touches the ball. Gore (also new) sill has it. Overall, nothing flashy like the Cowboys but they get the job done. We do lack "that" guy who can make contested catches. Hopefully next year.
The Team

This is a Wildcard-quality team. We'd have to implode to not make it. And I do think we have a chance to squeak into a second round. But we won't get past KC or Baltimore. We do have a good shot at beating the Pats. We should've last time but Allen threw four picks (and we still only lost by 6).

We're not used to the limelight like Dallas. I do worry about them overthinking it. I also know your HC is under a lot of pressure from the fans and the owner. We faced the Browns and Eagles in similar situations and lost both games. The Eagles destroyed us and we were pitiful (and their fans are obnoxious). If that's the only Bills game you saw, ignore it. It's an anomaly.

Thanksgiving

We haven't played on Thanksgiving since the mid 90s. I'm having my fiancé's non-sports family over. I told them they can stay past 4:30 but that the Bills are not casual entertainment. Be absorbed or go home is the mantra.

I don't give predictions but I do expect a good game.

Good luck (next week).

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone Bills fan here. I keeping reading post after post about the Bills defense isn't good. In 43 games under McDermott the Bills defense has given up 43 passing TDs. That's 1 passing TD per game. The issue the Bills have had is against the run (Eagles game) showed that. Tough game on the road coming up. I also read that the defense is old, the Bills have 2 guys that are over 30 a defense. Good luck hoping for a great game.
The defense is good, it just isn't special.

Idk who said it is old, but I did say that it's aging. In the next year or so, Poyer, Hyde, Murphy, Lotulelei will be 30, add to Hughes, and we're talking about 5 regulars. That's an old defense.

Billabong

Reaction score
Why bother talking about the Bills? The refs aren't going to let Dallas win, right?

I don't know why half of this board even watches the games? :muttley:

But as long as we're here, the Bills rely on running the ball and defense - old school football - but it makes sense given their personnel. The Cowboys need to limit the mistakes that have been costing them games.
It's hardly old school football. This is a pass-first offense. The stats are misleading.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Let's talk about the Bills"

They're 8-3. We're 6-5. We haven't won against teams with winning records. They have a mobile QB and good running attack (aka, our defense's weakness). Their strong defense will make our offense crumble again. That's all you need to know about what will happen. 6-6 is imminent.

.............and they haven't beaten a good team either.

Praxit

Reaction score
...they played the Pats and I was mighty impressed. Brady and his bunch could not do anything against them. They punted 9 times. The defense won the game for Pats. Bills offense is anemic.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sup everyone. Bills fan here.

The Bills are a solid team this year. I've been watching since the 90s and this is the best team we've had in recent memory. To say that feels amazing. We've only made the playoffs once in 18 years! But that's what you get when you can't draft a QB.

The national narrative about us not beating anyone "good" is accurate but overblown. I do believe the Cowboys are in a similar boat.

On to it...

Defense

It's a team defense. No one, other than maybe CB White and LB Milano, stands out. They tackle well and swarm. They're ranked No. 3 and deserve that rank. Not up to the Pats' standards but still very good. DC Frazier is solid IMO.
  • Secondary: Lights out, built to beat Tom Brady. White has shut down every top WR he's played against and the safeties are playmakers, too.
  • LBs: A bit undersized, as they're built to beat the Pats with speed. They might struggle against Elliot, who will likely be the centerpiece of your attack Thursday. Browns' Chubb destroyed them. I expect a big game out of your RBs.
  • DL: They've found themselves in recent games, generating massive pressure, but they haven't faced a line like Dallas'. I'm curious if they give Prescott trouble and what kind of game they play.
Offense

Coming into their own. OC Daboll changes the game for the opponent. Last two weeks, we ran a no-huddle to good success. But I really can't put my finger on what its "identity" is. In the first half of the year, he was criticized for being too cute for his own good. He's simplified recently, moved upstairs to the box, and it's paid off.
  • QB: Allen's a gamer. And he's the franchise guy we've been waiting for. Ignore the national narrative. He passes just about every eye test. His stats are mediocre but his ceiling is immense. His intermediate game--where games are won IMO--has improved immensely from last year. Something like a 20% efficiency improvement. He's getting rid of the ball quicker, too, and not playing hero ball anymore, which is good. He had a horrible game against the Pats early in the year but has thrown only one INT since then. He's taking care of the rock and taking chances when needed. He also knows how to make a defender look silly with his slippery-ness. He's big, strong and fast.
  • O line: Very good in the run game. Spotty in pass protection--Allen at times has been running for his life. But they did very well against Denver last week so maybe they're coming into their own, too. We'll see. Last year the line was awful.
  • Skill players: New WRs Brown and Beasley (thanks guys!) have been dynamite. I expect big days from both of them. Our TEs are also brand new. RB Singletary (new) is No. 2 in the league with efficiency. He cranks 6 yards every time he touches the ball. Gore (also new) sill has it. Overall, nothing flashy like the Cowboys but they get the job done. We do lack "that" guy who can make contested catches. Hopefully next year.
The Team

This is a Wildcard-quality team. We'd have to implode to not make it. And I do think we have a chance to squeak into a second round. But we won't get past KC or Baltimore. We do have a good shot at beating the Pats. We should've last time but Allen threw four picks (and we still only lost by 6).

We're not used to the limelight like Dallas. I do worry about them overthinking it. I also know your HC is under a lot of pressure from the fans and the owner. We faced the Browns and Eagles in similar situations and lost both games. The Eagles destroyed us and we were pitiful (and their fans are obnoxious). If that's the only Bills game you saw, ignore it. It's an anomaly.

Thanksgiving

We haven't played on Thanksgiving since the mid 90s. I'm having my fiancé's non-sports family over. I told them they can stay past 4:30 but that the Bills are not casual entertainment. Be absorbed or go home is the mantra.

I don't give predictions but I do expect a good game.

Good luck (next week).
Well done.
Agree with pretty much everything too, thought that doesn't matter as much as just solid input.
Thanks

Good luck
But, of course, hoping you're disappointed tomorrow
:flagwave:

Wizarus

Reaction score
You're way, way overestimating them.

They're defense is average... Good vs the pass. Not good vs the run.

They get props because they've played crap offenses all season.

The Bills are 8-3 because they've played an unbelievably easy schedule.

And Dallas hasn't either? We were blessed with with 3 backup QBs, Elite talent out, in one of the worst divisions in the league. Somehow their record is better than ours.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Compare the Cowboys record over the past decade to Buffalo's...

But really, I'm sorry that you hate the Cowboys that much Roy.

So now you change the conversation to the entire decade? LOL

Im sure you thoroughly enjoy Bills fans laughing at you this year. If we lose today, its going to be hell for you I would think. IF we lose because of horrid coaching and sloppy play then I would expect you to be disappointed in the outcome.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can we play the game before you have us losing. I still believe we had the opportunity to beat the Patriots. We have the talent I just don't know when we're going to put it together
To me there’s still hope this season is the coaches get out is the way. I don’t know how far we can get with that approach but we can win the NFC East if they just get the hell out the way because we have some dog teams
And coaches coming up.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's been said before, but the biggest danger today is that the team is thinking like many posters here -- that the Bills are a fraud and we're the mighty Cowboys so we'll just roll out there and win.

Sounds ridiculous, and it is for an underachieving group like this, but we know it's exactly how this team thinks more often than not. Especially coming off such a marquee game as last week.

Being home on a short week will probably make up for it, though.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
The Bills are 8-3? I haven’t paid attention to them all season but I was hoping this was an automatic victory....:(

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So now you change the conversation to the entire decade? LOL

Im sure you thoroughly enjoy Bills fans laughing at you this year. If we lose today, its going to be hell for you I would think. IF we lose because of horrid coaching and sloppy play then I would expect you to be disappointed in the outcome.

If the Bills win, I would contemplate it for about 15 seconds and then go on with my life.

I enjoy football and the Cowboys, but my life is full and I don't sweat the small stuff... And the Cowboys losing to the Bills would be "small stuff".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been said before, but the biggest danger today is that the team is thinking like many posters here -- that the Bills are a fraud and we're the mighty Cowboys so we'll just roll out there and win.

Sounds ridiculous, and it is for an underachieving group like this, but we know it's exactly how this team thinks more often than not. Especially coming off such a marquee game as last week.

Being home on a short week will probably make up for it, though.

After losing last week and the fireworks that have occurred I can't believe the Cowboys would take the Bills lightly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If the Bills win, I would contemplate it for about 15 seconds and then go on with my life.

I enjoy football and the Cowboys, but my life is full and I don't sweat the small stuff... And the Cowboys losing to the Bills would be "small stuff".

If the Cowboys win, no doubt you will be coming back on here to tell me you told me so. Which I never said they wouldn't win.

If they lose, then no doubt you will go on about your life and not come back on here. :muttley:

I will be happy either way. IF they win, it gives a shred of hope, but if they lose, I might be jumping for joy knowing that Garrett may get fired at any moment.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys win, no doubt you will be coming back on here to tell me you told me so. Which I never said they wouldn't win.

If they lose, then no doubt you will go on about your life and not come back on here. :muttley:

I will be happy either way. IF they win, it gives a shred of hope, but if they lose, I might be jumping for joy knowing that Garrett may get fired at any moment.

No I won't Roy...

Win or lose, this entire conversation will be in my rear-view mirror very quickly.

If you want to be sucked into all this... So be it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the Bills will be looking to come in here and make a big statement. Cole Beasley will be extra motivated. THEY HAVE A SOLID TEAM and I could care less who they have played. THEY ARE 8-3. That's not easy at the pro level. Buffalo will be a hard victory. We may not win .