Let's talk DT and RB

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just my take ...
the RB issue doesn't bother me that much........I think MM will find a way to ensure it's effective enough via carries and/or a lot of west-coast-type passes.
As for DT, I can see Zim putting more pressure on his LBers to stop the run and DT to keep them clean. Notice we have added 3-4 more LBers from last season.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
They definitely need to address those two positions because if they want to be serious about winning this year (which I have serious doubts about) acquiring a big body DT who can actually play is a must.

Probably is we all have been screaming for a DT since I don’t know how long and these guys have still not plugged that hole. Now they are banking on Mazi to be the one after a not good first year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they will be ok at running back. I don't expect one of the better running backs to be an available free agent anytime soon so they probably won't make any moves. As far as DT goes, they will need to see what Zimmer can get from Mazi before they make a decision but I agree another 1 technique is needed for depth and it wouldn't hurt to be on the lookout for another 3T.

Mauricio

Reaction score
Clearly big holes that could bite us in the *** come the season.

So throw out some names as to who might be available come August cuts. Dallas cannot go into the season with what they have at both spots.
at the DT position SIZE does matter!

Big D

Reaction score
The RB group has some interesting new ingredients (Freeman and Peat) but I don't have too much faith in MM's ability to get the most out of them. I'd like to see Zeke and Luepke on the field as interchangable HB/FB's. A power combo but I don't think we'll see a traditional use of FB ever again. And I think we absolutely need to get Deuce the ball in space. We showed 0 creativity when it came to him or the wr Turpin. Ultimately how they do will be decided by the moves made on the Line upfront.
Screenshot-2024-06-28-at-9-32-43-AM.png

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hell, we could have kept Hank for a bag of peanuts but still let him walk. Fans need to accept Jerry has no intention of adding any upgraded talent this year. Look at the players we have worked out lately.........all from USFL.
They gave up a first round pick for Mazy and the plan is to do or die with him. They may have saw Hankins as a progress stopper. He got most of the snaps last season. We’re looking for cheap players and the cheapest out there are from the UFL/USFL/XFL. It’s keeping expectations for this upcoming season low. However, low expectations has led to better than expected seasons in the past.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am curious to see what happens with Malik Davis. When he was at Florida that kid flashed tremendous all around ability as a runner, receiver and blocker. They were never afraid to line him up in the slot and let him beat corners which he was able to do on more than one occasion. His issue was always staying on the field. I was hoping he would fill out some in the last two years and leave some of that injury prone-ness behind. Unless he put on 20 pounds over the offseason Deuce is still going to be too small to be anything but a gadget guy. At the end of the day I think this thing is going to hinge on how much they can squeeze out of Zeke and Dowdle. Dowdle looked okay in spurts last year and I think another year removed from the knee problems and we could see a resurgence with Zeke. Provided he gets some actual blocking, which he seldom saw in New England.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
IMO, we've placed our bets at DT with Mazi. I have little faith in him, but you've got to let your first rounder at least play his second season.

For RBs, I would throw a 7th rounder to the Dolphins for Jeff Wilson. They have Achane (who is just awesome), Raheem Mostert, and just traded up for Jaylen Wright, so Wilson may be the odd man out there. Wilson is just a replacement-level power back, but Zeke's not even there right now, so it'd be a step up.

cowboyec

Reaction score
they ignored rb in the draft and during f/a save the zeke reunion...in a similar way dt and s were ignored in the garrett era...so i'd be shocked if they did address it at all at cut down time.
they could've signed aaron jones to a chump change deal like what he got from minnesota and didn't.

under mccarthy...dt and s have gotten more attention than under garrett...so i do expect that spot will get attention at cut down time.

75boyz

Reaction score
After last year's epic Mazi "Taco" Smith fail, and seeing as how Hankins served as a very credible stop gap temporary fix for run stopping...

I just figured we'd at least sign Hankins for one more year or devote something higher than a 7th rd pick to 1T.

But I guess it doesn't matter who the DC is as far as lack of prioritizing the improvement of defensive run stopping failures.

At RB, it's just as bad or worse. Because this year's offseason presented just too many scenarios of free agents or draftees that would have improved the position.

I'm left scratching my head and lacking for words at not acquiring any new fresh legs.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The RB group has some interesting new ingredients (Freeman and Peat) but I don't have too much faith in MM's ability to get the most out of them. I'd like to see Zeke and Luepke on the field as interchangable HB/FB's. A power combo but I don't think we'll see a traditional use of FB ever again. And I think we absolutely need to get Deuce the ball in space. We showed 0 creativity when it came to him or the wr Turpin. Ultimately how they do will be decided by the moves made on the Line upfront.
Screenshot-2024-06-28-at-9-32-43-AM.png
yuck

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Elliott is already listed as the starter. Every prediction I've made about this Elliott situation has come true so far.

1. The Cowboys will not acquire a good RB like Henry, and go into 2024 with a bad running game yet again. Check

2. Elliott will be resigned despite how stupid a move that would be. We like our guys no matter how bad they are. Check

3. Despite claims of RB by committee or battling it out in camp, Jerry will install Elliott as the starting, feature back. Check, you are here.

4. Despite claims of RB by committee, Jerry will force McCarthy to give Elliott the bulk of the carries as if this was still 2016. Pending...

5. Elliott will be the worst starting RB in the league, and it will be obvious as soon as the Cleveland game. It will be obvious that the season will be a disaster without a running game. Pending...

6. In a panic, Jerry trades two future number one picks for a mid level running back with not much future ahead. Pending...

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Just my take ...
the RB issue doesn't bother me that much........I think MM will find a way to ensure it's effective enough via carries and/or a lot of west-coast-type passes.
As for DT, I can see Zim putting more pressure on his LBers to stop the run and DT to keep them clean. Notice we have added 3-4 more LBers from last season.
You are whistling past the graveyard.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
On paper, definitely but that's why they play the games. Looks like we'll have an underrated RB crew with chips on their shoulders. It's not a bad thing if the offensive line can manage to improve.
There's no underrating the worst RB room in the league. It's the worst by a good margin. Hard to have a chip on your shoulder when you are old, slow, and too small.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There's no underrating the worst RB room in the league. It's the worst by a good margin. Hard to have a chip on your shoulder when you are old, slow, and too small.
What are you going to post when you turn out to be wrong about the RB group and they outperform your expectations? Football aint played on paper nor on the internet. It's played on the field. I think our running game will be fine.. It will be noticeably better than last year for 2 reasons.. Beebe and Elliott. The addition of a road grader in the middle of the line coupled with a true power back to dot the I is going to bear fruit for the Cowboys. A power back hammering the defense coupled with another back hitting it with quickness is a proven formula that has been shown to work around the league dozens of times including in Dallas for several years. Acting as if the dynamics and benefits of smashmouth football have changed somehow this year makes zero sense. But as always.. you do you..

75boyz

Reaction score
What are you going to post when you turn out to be wrong about the RB group and they outperform your expectations? Football aint played on paper nor on the internet. It's played on the field. I think our running game will be fine.. It will be noticeably better than last year for 2 reasons.. Beebe and Elliott. The addition of a road grader in the middle of the line coupled with a true power back to dot the I is going to bear fruit for the Cowboys. A power back hammering the defense coupled with another back hitting it with quickness is a proven formula that has been shown to work around the league dozens of times including in Dallas for several years. Acting as if the dynamics and benefits of smashmouth football have changed somehow this year makes zero sense. But as always.. you do you..
Only if we had the right trio who knew how to both scheme and execute the run game which you describe. AND the one that I support as well.

If you strongly believe the stooges Solari, Schott and McCarthy possess this know how I'll let you be the judge.
As for me, it will be another sad story AGAIN of Solari doing less with more all the while with McCarthy pretending to incorporate his "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" lie one more time.
Nothing will change from last year to this one and most likely will regress if it ain't from left to right Tyler Smith, Bass, Beebe, Zack and Steele.

Throwing Guyton to the wolves at LT against the likes of the AFC North and NFC East d-lines is a recipe for disaster.

Did I mention the run game coaching sucked?
Never mind.
LOL