Let's talk DT and RB

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Clearly big holes that could bite us in the *** come the season.

So throw out some names as to who might be available come August cuts. Dallas cannot go into the season with what they have at both spots.
If you were to choose the least important positions on offense and defense who would it be? Perhaps RB and DT?

I get improving your weakest link but the drama about it being the possible team wrecker seems gratuitous drama.

The Dolphins have a glut of RB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
On paper, definitely but that's why they play the games. Looks like we'll have an underrated RB crew with chips on their shoulders. It's not a bad thing if the offensive line can manage to improve.
on paper. so lets say they play with chip on their shoulder...they go from 32nd (worst) to what? 26th? zeke ain't getting better. he has been playing with chip on his shoulder for past 3 years and has regressed.

they other ones are in the league for what? 3,4 years. they are what they are.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Elliott is already listed as the starter. Every prediction I've made about this Elliott situation has come true so far.

1. The Cowboys will not acquire a good RB like Henry, and go into 2024 with a bad running game yet again. Check

2. Elliott will be resigned despite how stupid a move that would be. We like our guys no matter how bad they are. Check

3. Despite claims of RB by committee or battling it out in camp, Jerry will install Elliott as the starting, feature back. Check, you are here.

4. Despite claims of RB by committee, Jerry will force McCarthy to give Elliott the bulk of the carries as if this was still 2016. Pending...

5. Elliott will be the worst starting RB in the league, and it will be obvious as soon as the Cleveland game. It will be obvious that the season will be a disaster without a running game. Pending...

6. In a panic, Jerry trades two future number one picks for a mid level running back with not much future ahead. Pending...
Perhaps all this accurate, except for 6. With escalating cost of QB1’s the days of trading #1’s is over. They are too important financially to give up. Cowboys are too smart for that. For instance, no way they’d even get one first round pick for Parsons.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Only if we had the right trio who knew how to both scheme and execute the run game which you describe. AND the one that I support as well.

If you strongly believe the stooges Solari, Schott and McCarthy possess this know how I'll let you be the judge.
As for me, it will be another sad story AGAIN of Solari doing less with more all the while with McCarthy pretending to incorporate his "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" lie one more time.
Nothing will change from last year to this one and most likely will regress if it ain't from left to right Tyler Smith, Bass, Beebe, Zack and Steele.

Throwing Guyton to the wolves at LT against the likes of the AFC North and NFC East d-lines is a recipe for disaster.

Did I mention the run game coaching sucked?
Never mind.
LOL
That's fair.. I have never thought for a second that McCarthy wants to run the ball a lot more than Moore did.. I do however believe wholeheartedly that he wants to run it better situationally. I also think Solari tried to bring back the Hudson Houck power scheme with the wrong center and tailback to make it work. You can't play power football if your center is always getting pushed into the backfield by bigger guys. Stepnoski was 50 pounds lighter than a lot of the guys he faced yet he was a master of using his quickness and leverage to keep them from getting penetration and blowing Emmitt up in the backfield. Biadasz never figured that out. Beebe won't have to .. He can maul people. I share you concern about the lanky Guyton at LT to start but he's gotta learn some time. I think we will see pretty early if he's got it or not and hopefully the coaches won't be too slow to react if he struggles. We do know that his power forward build will allow him to keep pass rushers from getting into his body which bodes well for the pass protection but I don't know how it will work in the run game.

rambo2

Reaction score

So throw out some names as to who might be available come August cuts. Dallas cannot go into the season with what they have at both spots.
They can get by at running back. They need dtackle help.

rambo2

Reaction score
Elliott is already listed as the starter. Every prediction I've made about this Elliott situation has come true so far.

1. The Cowboys will not acquire a good RB like Henry, and go into 2024 with a bad running game yet again. Check

2. Elliott will be resigned despite how stupid a move that would be. We like our guys no matter how bad they are. Check

3. Despite claims of RB by committee or battling it out in camp, Jerry will install Elliott as the starting, feature back. Check, you are here.

4. Despite claims of RB by committee, Jerry will force McCarthy to give Elliott the bulk of the carries as if this was still 2016. Pending...

5. Elliott will be the worst starting RB in the league, and it will be obvious as soon as the Cleveland game. It will be obvious that the season will be a disaster without a running game. Pending...

6. In a panic, Jerry trades two future number one picks for a mid level running back with not much future ahead. Pending...
Way off on number 6 for sure.

rambo2

Reaction score
Perhaps all this accurate, except for 6. With escalating cost of QB1’s the days of trading #1’s is over. They are too important financially to give up. Cowboys are too smart for that. For instance, no way they’d even get one first round pick for Parsons.
You can't even take number 6 as a serious comment.

quickccc

Reaction score

Defensive Tackle

- Malcom Brown - age 30, once a prominent run stuffer with Saints. NE.

- Linval Joseph aging, oft injured but was a stud run stuffer in prime' played in Zimm's Vikes defense

- Bryan Mone (344 lbs but ACL tear slow recovery)
- Hasson Ridgeway
- Lawrence Guy

quickccc

Reaction score
Defensive Tackle

- Malcom Brown - age 30, once a prominent run stuffer with Saints. NE.

- Linval Joseph aging, oft injured but was a stud run stuffer in prime' played in Zimm's Vikes defense

- Bryan Mone (344 lbs but ACL tear slow recovery)
- Hasson Ridgeway
- Lawrence Guy
All this being said,.. the Jones wont care about improving the roster for a legit chance at the SB ... they are far more concerned about
the salary cap, current & future, and gaining & maintaining TV ratings, ticket sales and sponsorship marketing.

The Jones are not driven to win SBs,..

i they can let Hankins walk into FA for just 2 million, ..what makes us think they are gonna go all out for some buster vets on the streets. ?

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't think they will get anything good at dtackle. Zimmer will have to coach M. Smith up. That could go either way.

quickccc

Reaction score
If you were to choose the least important positions on offense and defense who would it be? Perhaps RB and DT?

I get improving your weakest link but the drama about it being the possible team wrecker seems gratuitous drama.

Not just a number of RBs ... but it's also how they are " schemed " to be used and utilized.

they are speed oriented backs ... splash oriented backs. ..We the Cowboys dunno how to scheme for such backs.

the Sorry ..err i mean Solari group seems to be made and designed for a power oriented ground and pound game
- not a splash/speed one.

Those Miami backs would not fit here, imo.

Motorola

Reaction score
Only if we had the right trio who knew how to both scheme and execute the run game which you describe. AND the one that I support as well.

If you strongly believe the stooges Solari, Schott and McCarthy possess this know how I'll let you be the judge.
As for me, it will be another sad story AGAIN of Solari doing less with more all the while with McCarthy pretending to incorporate his "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" lie one more time.
Nothing will change from last year to this one and most likely will regress if it ain't from left to right Tyler Smith, Bass, Beebe, Zack and Steele.

Throwing Guyton to the wolves at LT against the likes of the AFC North and NFC East d-lines is a recipe for disaster.

Did I mention the run game coaching sucked?
Never mind.
LOL
Not just a number of RBs ... but it's also how they are " schemed " to be used and utilized.

they are speed oriented backs ... splash oriented backs. ..We the Cowboys dunno how to scheme for such backs.

the Sorry ..err i mean Solari group seems to be made and designed for a power oriented ground and pound game
- not a splash/speed one.

Those Miami backs would not fit here, imo.
Does anyone know what actually are Brian Schottenheimer's role and responsibilities are for the Dallas Cowboys offense overall now - and daily-weekly once the 2024 season begins?

deerhunter11

Reaction score
You’re not going to find anyone that’s going to make a significant impact that gets cut this summer at either position especially at DT. Once we moved on from Hankins the plan is to sink or swim with Mazi. Not a very comforting thought.
One of the biggest keys to this coming season is going to be DT play, I think Dallas is loaded everywhere else on defense.Can Dallas stop the run and allow these athletic LB's to get to the football,and make plays.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I think they will be ok at running back. I don't expect one of the better running backs to be an available free agent anytime soon so they probably won't make any moves. As far as DT goes, they will need to see what Zimmer can get from Mazi before they make a decision but I agree another 1 technique is needed for depth and it wouldn't hurt to be on the lookout for another 3T.
I totally agree and Dallas could be forced to make a trade for a nosetackle , if what we have can't get the job done.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One of the biggest keys to this coming season is going to be DT play, I think Dallas is loaded everywhere else on defense.Can Dallas stop the run and allow these athletic LB's to get to the football,and make plays.
I wouldn’t say we’re loaded at LB. We lost LVE who was one of our best run stoppers and we signed a 32 year old LB. The jury is still out on Overshown who’s coming off an ACL. He has yet to take a regular season snap. That injury set him back. No guarantees he returns to form and shows the promise he did last summer in training camp. Trevon Diggs is also coming off an ACL and it could take a while for him to return to form if he ever does. We haven’t re-signed Gilmore, who was good for us last season. If we get hit by the injury bug, we could be in some real trouble.

kskboys

Reaction score

DT is the most important position on D.