Let's talk LBs

Mr_437

Reaction score
After looking at how the LB position stands currently, I wanted to know what LB you guys think best fit this LB group?

Current LBs:
MLBs - Eric Kendricks (6'0, 232, 4.61)
Buddy Johnson (6'2, 240, 4.58)
WILBs - Damone Clark (6'2, 240, 4.57)
DaMarvion Overshown (6'3, 230, 4.56)

Do you find a MLB to learn from EK or do you bring in a WILB to play next to EK, or get a guy that can play both positions?

Guys visited:
Edgerrin Cooper (6'3 230)
Ty'Ron Hopper (6'2, 221)
Trevin Wallace (6'2, 241)
Marist Liufau (6'3, 240)
Junior Colston (6'2, 247)
Jaylon Ford (6'3, 242)
Tyrice Knight (6'2, 235)
Payton Wilson (6'3, 248)
Curtis Jacobs (6'1, 235)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Given our needs and draft position, I can't see us drafting a LB early unless a real good value falls to us.
With that being said, I'd bring in one more vet as insurance against injury and draft a guy later on with some upside

Aven8

Reaction score
You don’t have Cedric Gray on that list and he should be. You have to get another LB that can play

cnuball21

Reaction score
After looking at how the LB position stands currently, I wanted to know what LB you guys think best fit this LB group?

Current LBs:

Do you find a MLB to learn from EK or do you bring in a WILB to play next to EK, or get a guy that can play both positions?

Guys visited:
Ty'Ron Hopper (6'2, 221)
Marist Liufau (6'3, 240)
Jaylon Ford (6'3, 242)
Tyrice Knight (6'2, 235)
Payton Wilson (6'3, 248)
Curtis Jacobs (6'1, 235)
I want Edge Cooper wreaking
havoc from everywhere.

Wilson is fun but the injuries scare me.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I want Edge Cooper wreaking
havoc from everywhere.

Wilson is fun but the injuries scare me.
I hear ya, but I don't want a Micah Parsons lite. I prefer a LB who can play the run and cover well, can Cooper do this?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I hear ya, but I don't want a Micah Parsons lite. I prefer a LB who can play the run and cover well, can Cooper do this?
Yup. LB1 in this class IMO. Not an awesome coverage guy, but exceptional playing downhill against the run and as a pass rusher. Instincts pop.

TheDank

Reaction score
I imagine we draft a traits guy mid-late. Would love if Trevin Wallace lasted to the 5th, might have to trade up into 4 for him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper
WIlson
Junior

I think you would have to use a 2nd and maybe get lucky and get one in the third.

With that said I do not know if they want to go LB or DL in the 2nd or 3rd or if they want to go Center with one and RB with the other considering they take an OT in the first.

DB and WR could also be an option as this year seems to have a good mix of both of those as well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Current LBs:

Guys visited:
Ty'Ron Hopper (6'2, 221)
Marist Liufau (6'3, 240)
Jaylon Ford (6'3, 242)
Tyrice Knight (6'2, 235)
Payton Wilson (6'3, 248)
Curtis Jacobs (6'1, 235)
1. If the Cowboys draft an off-ball LB early, their top focus should be to get an elite "Green Dot" LB.
- The biggest difference.t between the Cowboys and 49ers playoff defenses: They had Fred Warner & the Cowboys didn't.
- The Green Dot LB is the field general. Doesn't have to be a freak athlete; although, must be good in coverage as well as run defense.
- It was visually obvious how much it pained Fred Warner to lose in the Super Bowl.
- Meanwhile, CeeDee was whining, Parsons was tweeting and DLaw was saying dumb stuff in interviews after the worst playoff loss I've seen.

2. Damone Clark
- Last season I often had the thought "if Clark played next to Fred Warner, then Clark would be a solid starter".
- This season, Kendricks will wear the Green Dot. That will make Clark better and will be a significant benefit to Overshown, etc..
- Vander Esch was becoming a decent Green Dot LB, but wasn't really an uber elite football IQ type Green Dot player (in my opinion).
- Kendricks' top attribute has always been his football IQ and leadership.

3. DeMarvion Overshown
- Draft profile is surprisingly similar to Fred Warner's draft profile.
- The draft media said Warner played like a big safety that might lack the anchor/thump to be an every down LB.
- Both 3rd rounders and both 6-3...
- I heard an interview with Overshown in camp last year...He appeared to only know about and care about football... ..
- He didn't seem to know anything about anything except football...

4. My primary concern for the Cowboys defense is DT. The LBs will be OK with Kendricks and some young guys IF the DTs can play the run.

Mr_437

Reaction score

1. If the Cowboys draft an off-ball LB early, their top focus should be to get an elite "Green Dot" LB.
- The biggest difference.t between the Cowboys and 49ers playoff defenses: They had Fred Warner & the Cowboys didn't.
- The Green Dot LB is the field general. Doesn't have to be a freak athlete; although, must be good in coverage as well as run defense.
- It was visually obvious how much it pained Fred Warner to lose in the Super Bowl.
- Meanwhile, CeeDee was whining, Parsons was tweeting and DLaw was saying dumb stuff in interviews after the worst playoff loss I've seen.

2. Damone Clark
- Last season I often had the thought "if Clark played next to Fred Warner, then Clark would be a solid starter".
- This season, Kendricks will wear the Green Dot. That will make Clark better and will be a significant benefit to Overshown, etc..
- Vander Esch was becoming a decent Green Dot LB, but wasn't really an uber elite football IQ type Green Dot player (in my opinion).
- Kendricks' top attribute has always been his football IQ and leadership.

3. DeMarvion Overshown
- Draft profile is surprisingly similar to Fred Warner's draft profile.
- The draft media said Warner played like a big safety that might lack the anchor/thump to be an every down LB.
- Both 3rd rounders and both 6-3...
- I heard an interview with Overshown in camp last year...He appeared to only know about and care about football... ..
- He didn't seem to know anything about anything except football...

4. My primary concern for the Cowboys defense is DT. The LBs will be OK with Kendricks and some young guys IF the DTs can play the run.
:clap:
I actually do think Clark is much better playing WILL because he looked a lot better with LVE next to him. You feel Clark n Overshown will be ok at WILL, and DAL should go get a MLB type with IQ in the draft?

You like any draftable LBs in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to this group?

Beaker42

Reaction score

Current LBs:

Guys visited:
Ty'Ron Hopper (6'2, 221)
Marist Liufau (6'3, 240)
Jaylon Ford (6'3, 242)
Tyrice Knight (6'2, 235)
Payton Wilson (6'3, 248)
Curtis Jacobs (6'1, 235)
Wilson or bust

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Yea I mean he can drop and cover a RB in the flat for zone but he’s not an off the ball LBr. He’s a pass rusher.
But can he stack and shed and stop the run, as well as middle coverage in the zone? If he can stop the run, and play the zone........Dallas has other smaller types that can get the coverage details. Pass rusher just means he probably won't be there when Dallas picks.