Let's try looking at the Sean Taylor case LOGICALLY...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
For all the woofing by Skins fans that the recent developments in regards to the putz who was the lead prosecutor on the case are somehow a good omen for Sean Taylor, nobody has laid out the facts (few as they are) as we know them, nobody has taken a good old-fashioned common sense look at things... I propose to try to do so now...

For openers, the notion that what Grieco did to promote himself as a DJ on that website constitutes prosecutorial misconduct is completely ridiculous... yeah, he obviously tried to cash in on his five minutes of fame (which has boomeranged on him, big time, and probably destroyed his career as a prosecutor), but the truth is, nothing about that stupidity had ANY effect on the case, and as such, is not prosecutorial misconduct... tacky and kind of pathetic, yes; prosecutorial misconduct, no...

It really doesn't matter WHY he's pursuing these charges, it wouldn't even matter if he's just a card-carrying bigot who hates black people who have achieved a measure of fame (to use an extreme hypothetical example, I'm not saying that's the case here)... what matters is whether the charges have merit or not... the truth is, the defense would probably never have actually filed a motion to dismiss over this, because they knew they would have been laughed out of court... and given that this is not the first motion to dismiss they have presented, they risked annoying the presiding judge by doing so... nope, Grieco's boss is exactly right, this was a transparent attempt to embarrass the prosecution, and to taint the potential jury pool by getting some headlines... nothing more...

Now, the last time they made a motion to dismiss might well have been considered prosecutorial misconduct, and grounds for dismissal of the charges, because they claimed that the prosecution concealed evidence of past (and it was insinuated, present) felonious behavior on the part of the accusers... that's just not allowed, as we all learned in "My Cousin Vinny", the prosecution is not allowed to conceal such evidence, to "surprise" the defense that way... but apparently, the judge looked at the facts as both sides presented them, and decided that this was an innocent mistake... not having access to the evidence presented, I have no idea if this was a fair and just ruling or not, but it was the ruling...

So, all this fuss about prosecutorial misconduct is nonsense, it simply doesn't exist... but throwing mud against the wall worked for the defense this time, enough of it stuck that they got rid of the prosecutor...

Which brings us to the next point, the oft-stated contention by the Skins fans who have flocked in here, that the prosecution's case is "weak", because of the unreliable nature of the accusers... well, the only arguments we've heard on that subject have come from defense counsel, who naturally have a compelling reason to try to slant the facts to favor their client, and who have clearly demonstrated an affinity for getting down and dirty... we haven't heard the first word from the prosecution about their case, unlike the defense they're not trying their case in the media... but you Skins fans seem to have suspended the normal and healthy skepticism of most adults, and embrace the defense claims without question... you are all firmly convinced that these guys are all felons, in spite of the fact that none of you can name one of the accusers, or cite their criminal records...

You keep telling us "innocent until proven guilty", but you've gone ahead and prejudged this case your own selves...

Never mind that Taylor's lawyer has careful played his little lawyer-esque semantic games, carefully characterizing the accusers as either "in jail, going to jail, or SHOULD BE in jail" (emphasis added by your friendly local Bear)... if you take a second to consider what he's really saying there, he's admitting that for at least some of these accusers, there is NO criminal record whatsoever... he's just impugning their integrity with contemptible innuendo, a guilt by association ploy... he further tosses out vague accusations that one or more of the accusers was found in possession of an ATV that had been reported stolen... note that he very carefully did NOT say that they were arrested for that, or charged with any crime for that... you can believe that if they HAD been arrested, he would have loudly trumpeted that fact... but he didn't...

IOW, despite defense counsel's determined effort to trash the witnesses against his client, it appears they're not NEARLY as "criminal" as he's trying to make them out to be... his semantic tapdancing is really just base dishonesty...

Now, let's look at the state's case in another way-- Sean Taylor is a celebrity, and we have all seen that securing a conviction against a celebrity is somewhat more difficult that it would be against one of us "normal" folk... further, such a prosecution focuses a PR spotlight on the prosecutors, making failure a crippling blow to the State's Attorney's office, and their credibility in future prosecutions... if they go after Sean and lose, they'll be laughingstocks (as Grieco has already made himself the butt of comedians' jokes across the country these next few days and weeks)...

I can easily believe that a prosecutor would get a little more jacked up at the thought of "getting" a celebrity, because that would bring positive attention to him, that's just human nature... but the flip side is also true... it's just not LOGICAL that a prosecutor would proceed with a case against a Sean Taylor, unless he felt confident that he had a pretty good case... it would be professional suicide to try, and lose...

You Skins fans ASSUME that all the prosecutor has is those shady accusers, but none of you really knows what the prosecution has... you go on to point out that Sean turned down the plea bargain offer, and go on from there to suggest that offering a plea bargain in the first place is a sign of the weakness of the prosecution's case...

But again, applied COMMON SENSE should tell you that prosecutors often offer plea bargains, for a variety of reasons-- to relieve the burden on an overcrowded court, for example... and in this particular case, Florida's draconian laws concerning crimes committed with a gun might be swaying the State's Attorney to offer a reduced plea; perhaps they feel that 9 years in jail is extreme for a guy who really just went after some guys who he was convinced had ripped off his ATVs, and in the final analysis, no shots were fired...that's not right, but it's human, and it's understandable... so by offering a lesser charge, they can secure a conviction for the crime that did occur (assuming it did here strictly for the purposes of argument, don't jump down my throat), without having to impose WAY too strict a penalty for the crime committed...

I mean, let's face it, NINE YEARS, for pointing a gun at some people?? That's pretty ridiculous... so for a prosecutor with a conscience (if these boys have one among them), offering a plea bargain would be an eminently acceptable solution to this case...

Another point y'all are ignoring is that it is widely being reported that the only reason Sean turned down the plea bargain offer is because the state refused to lower the charge to a misdemeanor... they insisted on him pleading to a felony... if their case was REALLY that weak, why wouldn't they be happy to take whatever they could get?? More to the point, if Sean really IS innocent, why would he give any thought at all to pleading guilty to even a misdemeanor?? Such a plea would make businessmen more reluctant to hire Sean for promotional purposes, and less likely to offer him the kinds of partnerships in small businesses that come the way of most pro athletes... to cite one example of this, I have personal knowledge that Patrick Ramsey is an investor and spokesperson for the Glory Days chain of sports bars/restaurants... there won't be many businessmen offering Taylor those kinds of opportunities if he pleads to anything... IOW, such a plea would hurt his ability to earn off-the-field money down the road...

Now, IF all the state has is the testimony of the accusers, and IF those accusers can be shown to be a collection of thugs and criminals, then the state will take a rightfully earned beating... and they'll see their reputation in the legal community take an even worse beating... but don't you folks think THEY know that?? This would be a compelling reason for them proceed with great caution...

No, folks, common sense tells me that you guys are trying desperately to spin all of the events of the last few days and weeks as a positive for Taylor, but the plain and simple truth is, a little common sense would tell you that it's no such thing, and a little bit of honesty would lead you to admit that you don't really know the facts at all...

I'm no lawyer, I've never even played one on TV, and I'm honest enough to admit that I don't have all the facts... but a little applied common sense leads me to the conclusions I've laid out above... if any of y'all think you can offer a rational, logical argument against the arguments I've laid out here, take your best shot...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
You're really taking this case personally, aren't you Bear? :D

Don't let the homer-trolls get to you.

Hopefully ST will end up behind bars with a nice friendly cell-mate named Bubba.

If he gets off the hook, then hopefully he'll continue to provide distractions for the R*dsk*ns for years to come!

silverbear

Reaction score
Danny White said:
You're really taking this case personally, aren't you Bear? :D

Not really, in the final analysis I don't give a rat's patootie if he skates or gets send to the slammer... oh, I'll be AMUSED if he gets convicted, but only at the thought of all these Skins homers having their hopes dashed...

I just like a good argument, and see immense holes in the bluster and bravado masquerading as arguments from those "homer-trolls", as you call them... so I figured I'd lay out a calm, unemotional argument in rebuttal, and see how they deal with it...

If I do say so myself, I think I did a pretty darned good job of stating my case...

But if there was ANYTHING else interesting to talk about, I'd be talking about that; if this was two weeks later, my entire attention would be focused on the draft, and the homer-trolls could run off at the mouth all they wanted, 'cause I wouldn't even be in here to hear their bleating... LOL...

If he gets off the hook, then hopefully he'll continue to provide distractions for the R*dsk*ns for years to come!

Actually, if he gets off the hook, I hope he grows the <bleep> up... it's long past time for him to do so...

Mr. Grundle

Reaction score
Fair enough. Lets wait till the trial and see what happens. His reputation is screwed anyway. If he gets convicted, obviously he is screwed. If he is not convicted, he'll still be a criminal in the eyes of anyone who isn't a Commanders fan.

silverbear

Reaction score
Mr. Grundle said:
Fair enough. Lets wait till the trial and see what happens.

Aw, where's the fun in THAT?? :D

Seriously, when is the Skins' first minicamp?? Will this latest postponement cause Taylor to miss that one??

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Mr. Grundle said:
Fair enough. Lets wait till the trial and see what happens. His reputation is screwed anyway. If he gets convicted, obviously he is screwed. If he is not convicted, he'll still be a criminal in the eyes of anyone who isn't a Commanders fan.

unless he goes to another team. then the skin fans will call him a criminal and the new team will pick up the defense where the skins left off. : )

i cite TO as a perfect reference to the fickleness of fans.

Mr. Grundle

Reaction score
iceberg said:
unless he goes to another team. then the skin fans will call him a criminal and the new team will pick up the defense where the skins left off. : )

i cite TO as a perfect reference to the fickleness of fans.

Probably. I'll tell you one thing, I'm dreading the day his contract runs out. If we lose him to free agency its going to suck to have to hate his guts.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Mr. Grundle said:
Probably. I'll tell you one thing, I'm dreading the day his contract runs out. If we lose him to free agency its going to suck to have to hate his guts.

it sucks just as much to think about rooting for TO. : )

Mr. Grundle

Reaction score
iceberg said:
it sucks just as much to think about rooting for TO. : )

I can only imagine. That was a big fear of mine early in the offseason, that we would go after T.O. Luckily he went to the team I hate the most, so the haterade for T.O. can flow freely. Now the only thing that sucks is that we still have to play him twice a year.

hermitkid

Reaction score
I'm not going to respond to your entire post because like you said, the facts aren't on the table so anything you or I have to offer regarding the credibility of the alleged victims is oppinion.

Another point y'all are ignoring is that it is widely being reported that the only reason Sean turned down the plea bargain offer is because the state refused to lower the charge to a misdemeanor...

Could you provide me with some links that specifically mention this as the reason for Sean Taylor refusing to enter the plea agreement?

if their case was REALLY that weak, why wouldn't they be happy to take whatever they could get??

Simple, take a look at the charges. He's charged with 3 counts of felony assault with a weapon and one charge of misdemeanor battery.

The DA can't just make the felony assault charges disappear and offer Sean Taylor a plea deal that would have him plea guilty to battery. The prosecution would basically admit that they have no case and lose any leverage they have in securing a conviction or getting a guilty plea.

Once those charges were pressed the only way this case was not going to go in front of a judge was for Taylor to plead guilty to at least one of the felony charges and the DA nolle prossing the case in exchange for a suspended sentence and probation.

More to the point, if Sean really IS innocent, why would he give any thought at all to pleading guilty to even a misdemeanor??

Uh, because as you claim, he was not offered such a deal, nor will he likely be in the future.

Such a plea would make businessmen more reluctant to hire Sean for promotional purposes, and less likely to offer him the kinds of partnerships in small businesses that come the way of most pro athletes... to cite one example of this, I have personal knowledge that Patrick Ramsey is an investor and spokesperson for the Glory Days chain of sports bars/restaurants... there won't be many businessmen offering Taylor those kinds of opportunities if he pleads to anything... IOW, such a plea would hurt his ability to earn off-the-field money down the road...

Come on, you and I know that isn't true. Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, Mike Tyson, the list goes on and on. There are plenty of cases where athletes with legal problems went on to get sponsorship deals etc.

The other thing I would like to mention is following. Put yourself in Sean Taylors shoes, if you thought there was a chance you'd do a minum of 9 years in prison would you risk your freedom just so you can have a few sponsorship deals?

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Here is my thing Silver Bear

The burden of proof is on the state here

There has been no gun found with ST's fingerprints on it

No shots or bullets found from a gun Sean Taylor fired

There were bullets fired at Sean Taylor's vehicle however

The accusers in fact stole the ATV's from Taylor

The only "proof" we have here is the eyewitness testimony of the accusers (unless there was a priest watching the incident in a nearby church)

To me, that does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Sean Taylor ever pulled out a gun nor was even in possesion of a gun

Nobody likes trials because with a jury you just never know what is going to happen. Being in Miami, it would not surprise me if there are several pro Miami Hurricane potential jurors in the pool

The presumption of innocence before proven guilty applies here. From everything I have read about the case there is very little proof that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Taylor is guilty

How does is it tie into the dork assistant DA and his myspace page

It is pretty simple, his blog had links to "My press links" which were links to stories with his name in the paper and the Sean Taylor trial. So long as he never dropped the charges, and the case goes to a high profile trial his name is in the paper, and he can impress groupies

I will be curious to see what another prosecutor does. But like I said, from the facts presented so far, the state will have a difficult time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Sean Taylor is guilty

sacase

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:

The only "proof" we have here is the eyewitness testimony of the accusers (unless there was a priest watching the incident in a nearby church)

Ok What does bullets fired at ST's vehicle have to do with him poiinting a gun at someone. Since you want to say that there was no gun found with ST's fingerprints on it, then it would stand to reason that there was no gun found with the "victims" fingerprints on it. Ok So that is a wash.

How do you know for a fact that they accusers stole ST's ATV? They were never arrested for it nor was the property ever found.

How do you know what eye witness testimony they have? Perhaps someone has a picture of ST on a Camera phone? Maybe a neighbor took out the video camera. What are the names of the witnesses? you don't know do you?

Finally, what gives ST the right to play vigilante? Innocent people could have been hurt because he wants to go play robocop.

silverbear

Reaction score
hermitkid said:
Could you provide me with some links that specifically mention this as the reason for Sean Taylor refusing to enter the plea agreement?

No, I can't, all I can tell you is that I read it from one of the Skins fans on one of the message boards that I've been arguing this whole mess on for some weeks now... they quoted an article to that effect... in the hazy recesses of my mind, I want to say it was an article from either the Washington Post or the Washington Times... the quote specifically said that the offer from the prosecution was for a lesser felony, which would not involve jail time, and that Taylor's attorneys were holding out for a lesser charge that was a misdemeanor... when they didn't get it, the plea was refused...

Perhaps you could search the archives for the Post and the Times, I have no idea how to do so...

Or you can judge for yourself whether I strike as the sort who would lie to advance an argument... the truth is, my mind's not creative enough to make up such a specific claim...

Simple, take a look at the charges. He's charged with 3 counts of felony assault with a weapon and one charge of misdemeanor battery.

The DA can't just make the felony assault charges disappear and offer Sean Taylor a plea deal that would have him plea guilty to battery. The prosecution would basically admit that they have no case and lose any leverage they have in securing a conviction or getting a guilty plea.

Was Taylor charged with the battery, or was that the buddy of his who allegedly went after one of the accusers with a baseball bat??

As for "making the felony assault charges disappear, perhaps the State's Attorney could offer a lesser charge that doesn't specifically mandate jail time... something that technically, that crime would qualify as, but one that would allow him to receive probation instead...

Come on, you and I know that isn't true. Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, Mike Tyson, the list goes on and on. There are plenty of cases where athletes with legal problems went on to get sponsorship deals etc.

Kobe was found innocent, Tyson has had EXTREME financial problems since his encounter with the legal system, and I don't remember Lewis having the same high profile in commercials that he had before his problems (and he was found innocent too)...

Perhaps it's extreme to say that Taylor wouldn't have ANY off-field financial opportunities if he's convicted, but it is highly unlikely that he'd have the same offers he'd get if he's found innocent...

The other thing I would like to mention is following. Put yourself in Sean Taylors shoes, if you thought there was a chance you'd do a minum of 9 years in prison would you risk your freedom just so you can have a few sponsorship deals?

First, that was only ONE of the reasons I offered for why he might turn it down; second, I think the real motivating factor in turning down the deal was his arrogant belief that as a celebrity athlete, he'll get off, whether he's guilty or not-- just like OJ, just like Chmura, just like Kobe...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
Here is my thing Silver Bear

The burden of proof is on the state here

Yes, it is...

I don't know if there has or not, and even if there was, that wouldn't come CLOSE to proving that he pulled it in that situation... it would merely prove that he owned a gun (which, if it's legally owned, the state can easily prove anyway), and that at some point in time, he handled it... if you own a gun, it's likely you've handled it at some point in time...

It has never been alleged by the state that he did... all he's accused of is BRANDISHING it...

Which is completely irrelevant to this case, having happened after the fact... further, none of the accusers has been charged with having done so...

Show me an indictment for any of them for that crime... absent that, you're just speculating as to who stole those ATVs...

My response to that is the same as it has been right from the start-- you have no access to the evidence or the witness list the prosecution has, so you're just speculating as to what "proof" they have...

The presumption of innocence before proven guilty applies here. From everything I have read about the case there is very little proof that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Taylor is guilty

Gee, you reckon that maybe, just maybe, that's because only one side has been trying their case in the media??

Perhaps you should actually wait to find out what the state's case IS, before passing judgement...

It is pretty simple, his blog had links to "My press links" which were links to stories with his name in the paper and the Sean Taylor trial. So long as he never dropped the charges, and the case goes to a high profile trial his name is in the paper, and he can impress groupies

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the legal merits (or lack of same) of this case... WHY he brought those charges is utterly irrelevant...

I will be curious to see what another prosecutor does. But like I said, from the facts presented so far, the state will have a difficult time proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Sean Taylor is guilty

And like I said, only one side has "presented their facts" so far... you don't know what tricks the state has up its sleeve... but if you took a second to look at this without bias, it might occur to you that IF the facts are as presented "so far", and you can figure out that it's a weak case, then the professional prosecutors in the State's Attorney's office would likely be smart enough to figure it out too... and since those guys probably don't relish the thought of being embarrassed in court, how likely is it that they'd proceed if that IS all they have??

Again, apply common sense here, and you should come to the conclusion that you just don't know all the facts yet... that's why they have trials, isn't it??

silverbear

Reaction score
sacase said:
How do you know what eye witness testimony they have? Perhaps someone has a picture of ST on a Camera phone? Maybe a neighbor took out the video camera. What are the names of the witnesses? you don't know do you?

Well, if the state had THAT kind of evidence, they'd be legally required to let the defense know about it, and that would surely lead them to be somewhat more amenable to the plea bargain that was reportedly offered...

Just as I argued that the state wouldn't go to bat on that one if all they have is the word of the accusers, and the defense can show them to be unsavory characters, the flip side is also true-- if the defense knew the state had such compelling evidence of Taylor's guilt, they'd accept just about any offer that involved no jail time to avoid having a jury see that evidence... of course, if the state had THAT kind of evidence, it's not likely that they would have offered any reduced charges (unless, as I argued at the start of this thread, they came to the conclusion that 9 years in jail was a bit extreme for the charges Sean faces)...

Nope, while I figure the state has a LITTLE more than the defense is suggesting, I don't figure they have anything quite as compelling as you're suggesting here... perhaps they were able to "flip" the buddy who's charged with going after the guy with the baseball bat, or one of Sean's other buddies... in that case, the defense might believe they can impeach the credibility of such a witness, and would still be willing to roll the dice...

Don't ever lost sight of the fact that what the state knows, the defense also knows...

sacase

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Well, if the state had THAT kind of evidence, they'd be legally required to let the defense know about it, and that would surely lead them to be somewhat more amenable to the plea bargain that was reportedly offered...

Just as I argued that the state wouldn't go to bat on that one if all they have is the word of the accusers, and the defense can show them to be unsavory characters, the flip side is also true-- if the defense knew the state had such compelling evidence of Taylor's guilt, they'd accept just about any offer that involved no jail time to avoid having a jury see that evidence... of course, if the state had THAT kind of evidence, it's not likely that they would have offered any reduced charges (unless, as I argued at the start of this thread, they came to the conclusion that 9 years in jail was a bit extreme for the charges Sean faces)...

Nope, while I figure the state has a LITTLE more than the defense is suggesting, I don't figure they have anything quite as compelling as you're suggesting here... perhaps they were able to "flip" the buddy who's charged with going after the guy with the baseball bat, or one of Sean's other buddies... in that case, the defense might believe they can impeach the credibility of such a witness, and would still be willing to roll the dice...

Don't ever lost sight of the fact that what the state knows, the defense also knows...

oh I understand that but the point I was trying to make is we don't know what eveidence there is for this case at all. We only know there is witness testimony. We don't know who they are or how many witnesses there were. Basically we don't know anything.

silverbear

Reaction score
sacase said:
oh I understand that but the point I was trying to make is we don't know what eveidence there is for this case at all. We only know there is witness testimony. We don't know who they are or how many witnesses there were. Basically we don't know anything.

Yeah, that's the same argument I've been making, so obviously we agree here... I was just pointing out that the hypothetical you chose in this instance was rather unlikely...

I did that in an effort to be fair...

silverbear

Reaction score
silverbear said:
No, I can't, all I can tell you is that I read it from one of the Skins fans on one of the message boards that I've been arguing this whole mess on for some weeks now... they quoted an article to that effect... in the hazy recesses of my mind, I want to say it was an article from either the Washington Post or the Washington Times... the quote specifically said that the offer from the prosecution was for a lesser felony, which would not involve jail time, and that Taylor's attorneys were holding out for a lesser charge that was a misdemeanor... when they didn't get it, the plea was refused...

Perhaps you could search the archives for the Post and the Times, I have no idea how to do so...

Or you can judge for yourself whether I strike as the sort who would lie to advance an argument... the truth is, my mind's not creative enough to make up such a specific claim...

Update-- turns out I was able to track down at least one of the sources over on the Post's website... I'll offer the quote from the article in question, which appeared on April 4th, followed by the link to it:

Taylor's three charges of felony assault with a deadly weapon each could carry a three-year mandatory minimum sentence. Grieco said he has waived such minimums in past cases in exchange for probation and other contingencies, but he added that in this case the defense has made it known that it would only accept a plea bargain that lowered the offenses against Taylor to misdemeanors.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/04/AR2006040400889.html

Seems the hazy recesses of my mind might still contain a few functioning synapses, LOL...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I hope this young man is innocent of all charges. I dont care if he is a Commander, I dont want an innocent young man to go to prison because he is good at his job.

Now if he is guilty I hope he gets a fair punishment ......... but years in jail is to much for pointing a gun and not hurting anyone.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
I hope this young man is innocent of all charges. I dont care if he is a Commander, I dont want an innocent young man to go to prison because he is good at his job.

Now if he is guilty I hope he gets a fair punishment ......... but years in jail is to much for pointing a gun and not hurting anyone.

Ok.....who logged in under this guy's account.......

He didn't use the word TROLL, HOMER, or FORESKIN:laugh:....

I'm proud to say I agree with you .....this time.

:cool: