Lewis Neal moved back to DT

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Neal is obviously a player the Cowboys like, and they are trying to find a place for him on the team. That's a good thing for Neal, not a bad thing. The problem is he is too small for DT, too short for DE, and too heavy and slow for FB. There arent't many 265 lb. DT's in the NFL, and there aren't many 6'0" tall DE's. Also, if he bulked up to 280 to play DT, then that's a bit heavy for a FB, who you would rather see in the 235 - 250 lb. range. Since the Cowboys obviously like him as a pure football player, chances are they keep him around on the PS, like they have Jamiell Showers. He may do enough that the coaches want to keep him around, but not enough to actually make the 53 man roster.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm sure these former Cowboys players all regretted switching positions:
  • Mark Tuinei DT-->OT, 2x Pro Bowl, 3x Super Bowl champion
  • Randy White LB---> DT, 9x Pro Bowl, 9x All-Pro, Super Bowl MVP, Cowboys Ring of Honor, Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • Rayfield Wright TE-->OT, 6x Pro Bowl, 6x All Pro, 1972 NFC Offensive Lineman of Year, 2x Super Bowl Champion, 1970's All-Decade Team, Cowboys Ring of Honor, Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • Jermey Parnell DT-->OT, signed $32M Free Agent contract
  • Patrick Crayton QB-->WR, 3rd down receiver for Cowboys
  • Darren Woodson LB--> FS, 5x Pro Bowl, 4x All-Pro, 3x Super Bowl Champion, Cowboys Ring of Hono
  • Jay Ratliff DE-->NT, 4x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro, signed $20.5M contract in 2007, and $40M extension in 2012.
  • Keith Smith LB-->FB, signed $4.2M free agent contract
  • Brian Waters TE-->OG, 6x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro, 2009 Walter Payton Man of the Year
  • Drew Pearson QB-->WR, 3x Pro Bowl, 5x All Pro, Super Bowl Champion, Cowboys Ring of Honor, 1977 leading receiver in yards in NFL

You forgot Mel Renfro and Cornell Green. And if you are going to list Brian Waters, then Todd Christiansen also worthy of a mention since it was the Cowboys who wanted him to play TE first.

Herschel also returned to Cowboys to play FB/slot receiver.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So much butthurt overreaction to a bottom roster fringe player of the sort found on literally every other team in the league.

Why would any of you guys possibly get worked up over this?

Toro9

Reaction score
Dude is listed at 280 anyway. Time to find another LB-to-FB project in one of these UDFAs.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We have DTs but people refuse to believe it. Crawford is a DT. So is Irving although both can flex out to the 5. We have some rotation players. Wait until after camp to rue the day.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
First we hear Tavon Austin is going to be a web back from Stephen Jones.
Then he hear that he will primary be a WR from Linehan.

Tomorrow we will hear he is being moved to FB.

And Ryan Switzer said the team never told him what his role was or how he fit into the overall offensive scheme.:facepalm:

Man, this coaching staff is grade A quality here:rolleyes:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I mean this is pretty typical for this organization. We've seen this before in how they handle the DT spot. This also tells me they have no desire to bring in an outside DT.

Honestly, I don't think the organization's beliefs on the DT position will change unless they eventually hire a DC who puts a premium on DT play. I think Stephen has wholly bought into the Marinelli method.

Maybe after yet another year without winning a playoff game they will hire a legit DC that understands that DTs are kinda important.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
And Ryan Switzer said the team never told him what his role was or how he fit into the overall offensive scheme.:facepalm:

Man, this coaching staff is grade A quality here:rolleyes:

Knowing the playbook and executing your job each down is enough. If I could figure out his job then he should have been able to. A few runs and mostly catch the ball after running a good route was his job along with STs. Sour grapes and nothing negative or positive from the coaching staff. Do your job play to play is how the game is played.