Lincoln Riley conspiracy theory

ShortRound

Reaction score
PCyxTHS.gif

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things. My theories about Amari and Dak going to NE had more substance than this and that’s not saying much...

You think we're allowing NE a free path to sign Dak and Cooper if they name Garrett HC?

J817

Reaction score
Does anyone think he would tell the recruits that he is leaving and no one else? The kid and his family may think even if he doesn't go to DAL, he's made it clear that he is open to discussion about the NFL. There is a chance he will not fulfill his OU contract in this kid's college career.

No no no no and no

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
The kid is from Georgia, committed before his Junior year...This isn’t surprising...And there is no way LR told a junior in high school his coaching plans...

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Conspiracy season: A big Sooners de-commit happened... is Lincoln Riley leaving? If so, where’s he going?

Brock Vandagiff announced that he was de-committing from the University of Oklahoma. Why is that significant? Oh for no reason, Vandagriff just happens to be the top-ranked quarterback in the class of 2021.

Riley has had enormous success with quarterbacks during his three-year run with the Sooners. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray both won the Heisman Trophy and went number one overall in their respective drafts under his tutelage (that was just his first two years). This past season he helped Jalen Hurts in his transfer season put forth a campaign that sent him to New York City for the Heisman ceremony, but nobody was going to beat LSU’s Joe Burrow.

If Riley is in fact so renowned in working with quarterbacks, then wouldn’t it take serious consideration for a top-ranked quarterback to not want to work with him? What if he couldn’t work with him? As Belt subsequently pointed out, Vandagriff told SI back in early December that Riley was the primary reason that he chose OU and would strongly consider leaving if Riley wasn’t there.

Q: Obviously you committed to Oklahoma back in June of this year, what is it about the Sooners that drew you in?

”I would probably say the Lincoln Riley aspect and the offense. I was planning on staying close to home and playing in the SEC, but when they offered it was tough to overlook. They’ve had back to back Heismans and #1 overall draft picks. So, that’s what got the first visit out there and from watching film with him (Riley) I just kind of fell in love with that offense.”

Q: What happens if Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for the NFL?

“We’d have to see who they hire, but Kirby and Dan Mullen know that they are number two and three back to back if Lincoln Riley leaves. Because that’s probably why I’m going there, Lincoln Riley himself. You can be a product of the system there and be very successful. But when Kirby came to Prince Avenue last month I told him ‘Look if Lincoln Riley leaves, I’ll probably commit to Georgia the next week.”

Is it possible that Vandagriff has gotten word that Riley won’t in fact be in Norman and that is why he is de-committing like he said that he would? And if Riley is leaving Oklahoma, where could he possibly be going? Perhaps the one place that the world has been connecting him to for over a year now in the Dallas Cowboys?

Of course, Vandagriff could have de-committed from OU for any number of reasons. The Sooners have another incredible quarterback in Spencer Rattler that is expected to be their starter in 2020. Perhaps he doesn’t want to compete with him and that is the explanation.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...s-lincoln-riley-leaving-if-so-wheres-he-going

Last edited:

Spurdog

Reaction score
I’ve seen many people say “Who they want..”, but because I don’t follow Oklahoma football and don’t know much about Lincoln Riley..

Im curious why some have said they don’t want Riley. Could you please elaborate why?

From what I’ve read, he has a great overall coaching record..albeit a short one. In that short time, he coached 2 Heisman trophy winners in Mayfield and Murray. And hepatitis together a pretty nice offensive resume along the way. So, I’m not advocating for him as much as I don’t know what’s not to like?

Just FYI.. from what I’ve also read, it seems likely he could very well be the Cowboys next HC based on his connection and familiarity with the Jones’s. Some may not know he became pretty close with the Jones while recruiting JJ’s grandson QB John Jones before he ended up committing to the Jones Alma Mater Arkansas.

If Dallas is going to pull someone from the college ranks.. Please tell me why Lincoln Riley wouldn’t be a good Candidate?

Ummmm.....because he hasn't done sht at OU? And here's the biggest reason NOT to want him in Dallas. Read your second paragraph again about they pretty close to the Jones'. Haven't we had enough of that? I mean when he's been in Dallas 4 years with nothing to show for what dept head position will he have to be given so JJ doen'st have to fire someone he's close to? Meyer has 3 national championships at 2 different schools. He pulled Florida out of the dumpster and pretty much did the same at Utah and to some extend OSU. Lincoln took over a thriving program from Stoops so whose resume looks the best?

Knotamus

Reaction score
Ummmm.....because he hasn't done sht at OU? And here's the biggest reason NOT to want him in Dallas. Read your second paragraph again about they pretty close to the Jones'. Haven't we had enough of that? I mean when he's been in Dallas 4 years with nothing to show for what dept head position will he have to be given so JJ doen'st have to fire someone he's close to? Meyer has 3 national championships at 2 different schools. He pulled Florida out of the dumpster and pretty much did the same at Utah and to some extend OSU. Lincoln took over a thriving program from Stoops so whose resume looks the best?

lol.. ok, calm down.

I’ve already posted in other threads that I’d take Urban Meyer (at the college level) myself. I personally like the idea of Greg Norman also if we are going to get a NFL experienced coach.

That said, just because he has familiarity with the Jones dosent mean much to me. Hell, how do you think ‘coaching trees’ are started? It’s not unusual for people to hire folks they know. As a matter of fact, it makes more sense than hiring someone you don’t know. Atleast, you’d have an idea of their philosophies and coaching in general. Sorry, I can’t hold that against the guy.

Once upon a time, Jerry also hired a close friend in Jimmy Johnson and most would agree that worked out well.

Sorry, I was hoping for a more comprehensive answer than.. “Riley hasn’t done sht”. Which is an absurd answer in and of itself. Next.

Loso86

Reaction score
There is ZERO possibility that the player knows that Riley is definitely leaving OU.

The other schools likely repeated 1000x that Riley is likely to leave and they probably put together a collage of media articles, tweets, etc. speculating that the Cowboys are going to hire Riley.

Even if the other schools didn't directly contact him, they can get the message to players in other ways...
There actually is a good chance he the recruits would be informed 8f promised by the coach