Linval Joseph vs. Jonathan Hankins

mperfection

Reaction score
Jonathan Hankins signed a 1-yr deal with the Seahawks earlier this year worth $2.05 million, while Joseph just signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.5 million with incentives.

Do the Cowboys think that Joseph, a 14-yr vet, is an upgrade over Hankins?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jonathan Hankins signed a 1-yr deal with the Seahawks earlier this year worth $2.05 million, while Joseph just signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.5 million with incentives.

I’m sure they don’t. But, Hankins was a free agent. The Cowboys were apparently undecided. Hankins took the deal in front of him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
At this stage of player careers, Dallas doesn't gamble with contracts but a year or two and move on. The team is pretty good at these types of evaluations and retentions. I wouldn't second guess this level of player selections, myself.

Jipper

Reaction score
This is because Mazi has still looked awful in his 2nd training camp.

There's nothing wrong with a tandem of Mazi and Justin Rogers at nose tackle if Mazi was the player you thought you were getting when he was drafted but he's not.
Mazi was more raw and needs time to develop - they also screwed with his weight last year so he's not had consistency- I would be willing to bet by mid season he starts to really gel and by this time next year we're talking about how far he has come from when he was drafted

starfan1

Reaction score
All in baby!! There’s probably a fair chance 1 or more of these signings will spend some time on injured list

I think zimmer recognizes we need to be better up front. He may be willing to give Mazi some time but in the short term in order to get improvements he is at least trying

Something that Quinn failed to do

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Mazi does not inspire confidence unfortunately. So, we were forced to sign someone for depth.

75boyz

Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with a tandem of Mazi and Justin Rogers at nose tackle if Mazi was the player you thought you were getting when he was drafted but he's not.
Exactly.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I knew we were screwed when Will McClay made that public comment in offseason about how the 2023 draft picks had to grow up real fast.

Sure, let’s blame the players not trying hard enough instead of the GM/Scouts for making some fatal draft mistakes.

Creeper

Reaction score
We'll see what Joseph has left in the tank but my guess is he has maybe 10-15 plays per game in him. From what I saw of both players last year, I think Joseph was the better player LAST YEAR. I just wish the Cowboys would sign guys like this when they are younger, not at the end of their careers.

As for Mazi, teams don't have time to wait for players to develop. If Mazi needs 3 years to develop that means the Cowboys only have 1 year to decide if they pick up his 5th year or let him walk after 4 years. But DTs need time to develop. This is why I'd rather they sign a guy who is already established.

I don't think Joseph can play 50% of the defensive snaps so I still think Mazi gets some playing time. But he needs to put up this year.

Havic

Reaction score
Cowboys thought Mazi would fill that roll. So far, they have been wrong which is why we have a large influx of recent DT signings

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Joseph has a history with Zimmer and probably fits his prototype while Hankins may have not.

Jarntt

Reaction score
At this stage of player careers, Dallas doesn't gamble with contracts but a year or two and move on. The team is pretty good at these types of evaluations and retentions. I wouldn't second guess this level of player selections, myself.
:huh:

stinkface

Reaction score
Mazi doesn't appears to be able to stand up to a doubleheader. That may change over time, but he doesn't have the strength or mass required.

jwitten82

Reaction score

Exactly, they're not signing Joseph and Phillips if Mazi was having a great camp. Even Zimmer came out and said he needed some nose tackles. People are kidding themselves if they think these are strictly depth signings