Linval Joseph vs. Jonathan Hankins

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jonathan Hankins signed a 1-yr deal with the Seahawks earlier this year worth $2.05 million, while Joseph just signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.5 million with incentives.

Do the Cowboys think that Joseph, a 14-yr vet, is an upgrade over Hankins?
They shouldn't. Joseph was practically unplayable in Buffalo last year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whatever excuses you want to give him he's not the player they thought they were drafting. If he was they wouldn't have brought in Joseph. That's an absolute fact.
Most fans didn't really know anything about Smith to be honest. They say we drafted a big DT, then crowned him the new Daron Payne without even bothering to watch him. Smith went a solid round too high. When his name started coming up the day of the draft I thought they were targeting him with their 2nd round pick. His absolute ceiling is Dalvin Tomlinson. If he doesnt bust, he is more likely to be a Malcolm Brown type player

Sydla

Reaction score
No. That is a fan dislike thing. The coaches have confidence in him. They needed depth for the rotation.
Then it gets back to the original point. They needed depth 5 months ago too and let Hankins walk but now, despite no real injuries at DT, had to scramble to sign Joseph.

They clearly overvalued what they thought they had at DT. It’s pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.

Proof

Reaction score
I knew we were screwed when Will McClay made that public comment in offseason about how the 2023 draft picks had to grow up real fast.

Sure, let’s blame the players not trying hard enough instead of the GM/Scouts for making some fatal draft mistakes.
i mean, i'd say the lion share of the blame would go to underperforming players lol. sure the scouts share some responsibility, but ultimately its on the player. unless the scouts are consistently getting it wrong, which ours arent.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think you need to take your own advice :laugh:
At this stage of player careers, Dallas doesn't gamble with contracts but a year or two and move on. The team is pretty good at these types of evaluations and retentions. I wouldn't second guess this level of player selections, myself.

Portrait of a funny child girl shows hands dirty with paint.

Now run along now and cry to someone else.

Do art work attempts with some one else. I won't listen to your crying about defensive tackles, Jerry, or the Cowboys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t think Mazi can play more than 30 snaps a game. Plus Zimmer is correcting the mistakes of Quinn’s mighty midget squad.
See none of them can that's an old wise self you think nose tackles are the bigger defensive tackles play that many snaps you'd be wrong I'd say at nose tackle you'd be good using those three at 10 to 15 snaps per player and they're not on the field all the time you don't play nose tackles on every down.... But when you add the fact that they signed Lawson and now they have these three guys they could figure out who to put behind osa..

this defensive line looks a lot better now and who cares why they did it...!!!!??? I don't I'm just happy that they went out and got some players they do this every year everyone hates the offseason they say it's gonna be a terrible year the Cowboys don't do enough then right before the season they start making small trades after they get a good look at all the camps and the practices and see what their real needs are and then they go get it even if it's not long term it is just for this year every year is a one off anyway in my opinion and they're not done turning the bottom who knows they might do something else at running back or elsewhere.. like we don't know..

But again at least they made the moves isn't that what they said about Howard Roseman last year at least he was trying Harry Roseman made like 8 moves around the trade deadline until the end of the year and none of them worked out they still collapse at a six game losing streak but everyone in here was saying at least he tried well that is what we're doing right now the front office is bringing in help in an area they think they still need help...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Jonathan Hankins signed a 1-yr deal with the Seahawks earlier this year worth $2.05 million, while Joseph just signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.5 million with incentives.

Joseph was stronger and more athletic out of college. But Hankins is 3-4 years younger. Letting Hankins go was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones stupid. With Hankins, Joseph, Phillips, and Smith you would have serious depth at the DL position like the old 2000 BMore Ravens with the Goose, Adams, Jelly Roll Dalton, and Webster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
At this stage of player careers, Dallas doesn't gamble with contracts but a year or two and move on. The team is pretty good at these types of evaluations and retentions. I wouldn't second guess this level of player selections, myself.

Portrait of a funny child girl shows hands dirty with paint.

Now run along now and cry to someone else.

Do art work attempts with some one else. I won't listen to your crying about defensive tackles, Jerry, or the Cowboys.
Know how many players are paid strong enough to expect 60% plays from them?

This team element is at the stage of building that up. We'll just see how far above 50% of plays is expected from Musa Smith...now back to your cry boat routines.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Joseph was stronger and more athletic out of college. But Hankins is 3-4 years younger. Letting Hankins go was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones stupid. With Hankins, Joseph, Phillips, and Smith you would have serious depth at the DL position like the old 2000 BMore Ravens with the Goose, Adams, Jelly Roll Dalton, and Webster.
Not when a set of coaches know how to coach and develop their own teams...and 3 top shelf paid players on the list to be paid.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Then it gets back to the original point. They needed depth 5 months ago too and let Hankins walk but now, despite no real injuries at DT, had to scramble to sign Joseph.

They clearly overvalued what they thought they had at DT. It’s pretty obvious to anyone paying attention.
Wonder why Bill Parcells didn't just cry every year and worked at developing talent to his standards instead? I guess he didn't want always having to be crying as here.

Since this team is still building...look at the current salaries and tell us who gets cut now!!!:popcorn::clap:

Sydla

Reaction score
Wonder why Bill Parcells didn't just cry every year and worked at developing talent to his standards instead? I guess he didn't want always having to be crying as here.

Since this team is still building...look at the current salaries and tell us who gets cut now!!!:popcorn::clap:
No one here says more nonsensical things than you.

It’s actually pretty impressive.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score

They hoped Zimmer was going to tell them don’t worry about Mazi

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It's possible that Zimmer did not see Hankins as a fit. They are not all the same.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It's possible that Zimmer did not see Hankins as a fit. They are not all the same.
That was not Zimmer. That was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. He made it very expletive clear he has been in charge since 1994 and nothing will change from the history of no meaningful seasons for the last +28 years.