Lion Hire Marinelli as HC

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Jimmie said:
Only hire (not official) I like so far is the Texans hiring Kubiak. I've wanted JJ to hire him here, instead of the cast offs we've had pre-Parcells.

Yeah, I like that hire.

- Mike G.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
More people mad at Millen

posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Matt Millen didn't win friends the way he hired Rod Marinelli, the assistant head coach of the Bucs. He didn't call any of the other candidates involved in the process after making the hire. Former Saints coach Jim Haslett had been waiting by his phone Wednesday because Millen told him he would fly to Detroit on Wednesday to meet William Clay Ford. Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, one of the early leaders for the job, never heard he was out of the running. Neither did interim coach Dick Jauron. Basically, Marinelli met with Ford and earned Ford's blessing to get a deal done. Millen also didn't announce the finalists to the media as he said he would.

Marinelli had to be in Fantasyland on Wednesday. Since coming to the NFL in 1996 after a stint as defensive line coach for USC, Marinelli has been considered one of the best pure coaches in the business. He's been masterful on the defensive line for the Bucs. He's been a prime candidate for defensive coordinator jobs but has been refused the chance to interview for those jobs because he's been under contract. Marinelli let his contract run out and won the lottery by getting a head coaching job.

What's he supposed to do, call a guy up and say "Guess what, we're not hiring you!"? I mean that's stupid. And I don't know how you can say he didn't announce the finalists to the media...maybe by media he means "ESPN", because everybody in Detroit knew who the finalists were. And anyway, who gives a crap whether Dick Jauron likes Millen or not? This is just Clayton piling on Millen because he's an easy mark.

jman

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
What's he supposed to do, call a guy up and say "Guess what, we're not hiring you!"? I mean that's stupid. And I don't know how you can say he didn't announce the finalists to the media...maybe by media he means "ESPN", because everybody in Detroit knew who the finalists were. And anyway, who gives a crap whether Dick Jauron likes Millen or not? This is just Clayton piling on Millen because he's an easy mark.

Ummm, yes. That's what he should have done. It's called class. But maybe I should stop right there. We are talking about the Lions and Matt Millen. Who year after year show that they have none.