Lions released QB Connor Cook. Remember him?

Mr_437

Reaction score
All teams have a tough time finding QB's. Even NE spent a 3rd on Knucklehead Mallet.
Can anyone think of a team or teams that consistently drafts good QBs?

Is Cook better than DAL current backup QBs?

DAL probably have enough Connors' on the roster.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
see this is one reason i favor paying Dak now,our inability to scout QBs,even Dak was drafted as a backup.We have a long history of drafting duds and being associated with failed QBs for a long time since Romo emerged.
Since 2000 (Aikman's last season), the Cowboys have drafted 4 QBs (plus Isaiah Stanback, but I don't count him), tied for fewest in the NFL (the average team drafted nearly 8 QBs over that time and 6 teams including the Patriots drafted 11 or 12). Carter, McGee, Dak and White. The team they're tied with is the Colts, who of course had Manning through most of this period and then after a one-year lull got to pick Luck.

It's not that the Cowboys draft duds, it's that they simply don't draft QBs at all. Not a great strategy to my mind, but it's what they do.

And I think it's unfair to talk about "our inability to scout QBs" when the entire NFL evaluated these guys pretty much the same way--that's why Dak was there for us at the end of the 4th and we missed out on the other guys. Drafting is hard and unpredictable. I don't see any reason to think the Cowboys are worse at evaluating QB prospects than anyone else.

jrumann59

Reaction score
What???

In 2001 the Cowboys drafted Quincy Carter. Since then they have drafted only 2 QB's: Stephen McGee (2009 4th round) and Dak.

Where is this "long history" you speak of? Spinning FA QB's something every franchise does not just the Cowboys.
you forgot the immortal Mike White....

pansophy

Reaction score
see this is one reason i favor paying Dak now,our inability to scout QBs,even Dak was drafted as a backup.We have a long history of drafting duds and being associated with failed QBs for a long time since Romo emerged.
What do you mean? Paxton Lynch would have been championship.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What???

In 2001 the Cowboys drafted Quincy Carter. Since then they have drafted only 2 QB's: Stephen McGee (2009 4th round) and Dak.

Where is this "long history" you speak of? Spinning FA QB's something every franchise does not just the Cowboys.

Oh come on! We all know they’ve been terrible in that area. Let’s not try to revise history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really don’t have that much history drafting duds because we haven’t made much of an effort to draft starters. Haven’t really drafted QBs much at any point, but Aikman/Walsh was the last time we used a 1st round pick on a QB. Since then Quincy Carter (admittedly a big dud) was the only real chance we took at getting a starter.

lostar2009

Reaction score
More and more it shows Dak is the man. To not pay him or root for him is insane. We saw no one able to drive our offense when Romo went out. We seen the post Troy era. If you got something good help it and allow it to grow.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More and more it shows Dak is the man. To not pay him or root for him is insane. We saw no one able to drive our offense when Romo went out. We seen the post Troy era. If you got something good help it and allow it to grow.

The alternatives - as Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook were - were horrifying. We can be thankful that other teams saved Dallas from themselves. And then think about the idea of watching this quarterback walk and trusting these folks to identify, acquire, and coach up another one.

Yeah, I'm not trusting that for a second.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes he was drafted to be a backup quarterback. Eventually to become a starter. He survived where as many others have failed. Even those that were first round draft picks. People don't realize we have a diamond in the rough

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He was all Big 10 and started for MSU 3 or 4 years, yet his own team never elected him Captain....reminds me of Rosen at Phoenix who's own players hated him at UCLA.

I remember the attitude/teammate issues but he was actually a decent QB otherwise.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The alternatives - as Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook were - were horrifying. We can be thankful that other teams saved Dallas from themselves. And then think about the idea of watching this quarterback walk and trusting these folks to identify, acquire, and coach up another one.

Yeah, I'm not trusting that for a second.

Good point......I mean they overlooked Dak on many levels. Hell, let's not forget, Kellen Moore was promoted as Romo's backup prior to TC.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes he was drafted to be a backup quarterback. Eventually to become a starter. He survived where as many others have failed. Even those that were first round draft picks. People don't realize we have a diamond in the rough

What's interesting, if Romo or Kellen doesn't get hurt, Dak likely spends 2016 season on the practice squad.