Living in rural Michigan?

Silly

Reaction score
Be afraid of the wolverines.

Ok. Good info. Old labbie sticks her head into any hole or burrow. Sigh, I am going to need a bigger a gun if there are bears.

Okay. I need to be close enough to a city with Drs, Walmart, and Home Depot.
Which cities would be best to be close to? Where it is safe and the roads are maintained in the winter, and the taxes are not high?

Thank you. I really do not know anything about Michigan. But I do live in the midwest. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

I am trying to determine if I can afford to live in the state. But I like snow and cold just so long as the roads are maintained. I don't want to be snowed in.

How much does it cost to heat in the winter? For example, today, propane is $2.00 a gallon here.

Vomit

Reaction score
Ok. Good info. Old labbie sticks her head into any hole or burrow. Sigh, I am going to need a bigger a gun if there are bears.

Okay. I need to be close enough to a city with Drs, Walmart, and Home Depot.
Which cities would be best to be close to? Where it is safe and the roads are maintained in the winter, and the taxes are not high?

Thank you. I really do not know anything about Michigan. But I do live in the midwest. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

I am trying to determine if I can afford to live in the state. But I like snow and cold just so long as the roads are maintained. I don't want to be snowed in.

How much does it cost to heat in the winter? For example, today, propane is $2.00 a gallon here.
Prices are subjective across the state and Michigan is a very large state. As I noted before I live in the upper peninsula and that’s the area I know best. Propane right now is $2.24/gallon.
Almost every town in the UP, Escanaba, Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie, iron Mountain and Houghton has a big box hardware store. Obviously taxes very across the state and townships. Places downstate like Traverse City are very expensive to live in it’s a very touristy place.

As far as Wolverines I wouldn’t be too concerned. I don’t believe there’s any historical evidence of their ever being any in Michigan. Badgers on the other hand Have been spotted here. A couple years ago I was on my way to camp and I’m pretty sure I spotted one racing down into the ditch. But I’m not 100% sure.

I really wouldn’t be worried about the black bears. They avoid people for the most part. I’ve lived here my whole life and have seen maybe three of them. There’s also some evidence that there are mountain lions around. Those I would be more concerned about, but there’s been no record of any attacks up here.