Twitter: LNS | Jimmy Johnson: Let's run the football even if we have to take a FG

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas currently has the #1 defense in terms of yards allowed, turnovers, sacks (tied with Washington), and scoring.

The offense is #1 in scoring and about middle of the pack in terms of yards per game.

What to make of this?

The defense has clearly taken a big step forward from last year.

I would argue, though, that zero offensive turnovers, relatively few penalties, and winning the time of possession are just as big of contributors to success as the defensive performance.

But, the defense is more fun to watch. :)

SBWinner

Reaction score
I don't think we have scratched the surface of how good this offense can really be. We have had so many injuries to start the season that we haven't seen the full compliment of players on the field at the same time. We are about to get back one of our best young offensive lineman, the guy likely to play LT for us for a decade after Tron retires. We are on our 3rd string LG in fact. Cooks is out. Our TEs are young and developing into what I think will be a very formidable squad. We have a LOT of speed on offense with Cooks, Turpin, Pollard, and Deuce. We have several young skill players that are going to mature this season as they get playing time in Brooks, Hendershot, Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Vaughn, and Luepke. Our young OL players look like real quality dudes for the first time in I don't know how long. This offense has some serious talent on it overall, we just need to see it on the field all at the same time to know what it is really capable of. I think the early season adversity which is getting some young guys reps is going to pay off later on down the road this season. I actually like this offense quite a bit, they are just being overshadowed by the defense right now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dallas currently has the #1 defense in terms of yards allowed, turnovers, sacks (tied with Washington), and scoring.

The offense is #1 in scoring and about middle of the pack in terms of yards per game.

What to make of this?

The defense has clearly taken a big step forward from last year.

I would argue, though, that zero offensive turnovers, relatively few penalties, and winning the time of possession are just as big of contributors to success as the defensive performance.

But, the defense is more fun to watch. :)
It's called complimentary football........no need to get cute. Take advantage of your top-ranked D and play to win games. In other words, a controlled offense that wins TOP, minimize turnovers, score points, and keep the D rested. Nothing about it......some critics wanna use it to support their personal agenda against the QB. It's exactly the way Brady and Belichick won all the SBs.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's called complimentary football........no need to get cute. Take advantage of your top-ranked D and play to win games. In other words, a controlled offense that wins TOP, minimize turnovers, score points, and keep the D rested. Nothing about it......some critics wanna use it to support their personal agenda against the QB. It's exactly the way Brady and Belichick won all the SBs.
Some will cry about dink and dunk.. Brady was the master at it. This is the exact combination here that’s capable of making a real run at a championship.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Playing for field goals works against junk offenses like the Giants and Jets. It doesn't work against good teams.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No that’s not correct. If we would of settled for FG ‘s instead of turnovers we beat the 49ers last year let that sink in.
The 49ers had a junk offense and also no they wouldn't have.

The idea that throwing = turnovers is stupid anyway.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This was the Cowboys offense in the 90s so no wonder he loves it.
It is why Emmitt was better than Barry Sanders.
Emmitt won every play with zero flash and near zero mistakes much less any easy/west running.

I was a defensive guy and love it too.

The passing attack in the NFL is vital as is stopping it but you have seen a return to balance for good teams. 49ers, Eagles(gross) and now our Cowboys.
You have to do both.

The last step in the games evolution is mastering the situation.
Get the ball 5 minutes left in the half up 10-0.
Are you better with a 1:30 second TD drive or a 4 minute 50 second FG drive?
I'd argue the latter, easily.
13-0 and more wear and tear on the opponent's defense.

Versus potentially giving that team some offensive momentum with a 2-minute drive for a FG to get on the board and balance TOP.

Sinister

Reaction score
Playing for field goals works against junk offenses like the Giants and Jets. It doesn't work against good teams.
Of course what the team wants to do is score touchdowns. No one is disputing that, what they are saying is that it is important to play complementary football also, in other words, you take what you are given and don't make mistakes. Mistakes kill football drives and lose games.

Look at what happened to Josh Allen last week when he tried to press instead of taking what the Jets were giving him. Josh Allen was pressing to get the ball downfield and cost his team the game. Now this is an oversimplification in the case of what happened to the Buffalo Bills last week against the Jets, but the overall point is don't press, take what you can and if you have to press do it in a controlled manner.

Guess what Josh Allen didn't do against the Raiders this past week; he didn't press and took what was given and the Bills won, he had a very similar game to Dak's this week. Yes, the Raiders are probably not very good this year, but this Jets team with Zach Wilson at QB beat Buffalo.

Now, does that mean that the Cowboys can play this type of conservative football all the time, no. But, it is important to be under control even when there is chaos. Especially when there is chaos.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Of course what the team wants to do is score touchdowns. No one is disputing that, what they are saying is that it is important to play complementary football also, in other words, you take what you are given and don't make mistakes. Mistakes kill football drives and lose games.

Look at what happened to Josh Allen last week when he tried to press instead of taking what the Jets were giving him. Josh Allen was pressing to get the ball downfield and cost his team the game. Now this is an oversimplification in the case of what happened to the Buffalo Bills last week against the Jets, but the overall point is don't press, take what you can and if you have to press do it in a controlled manner.

Guess what Josh Allen didn't do against the Raiders this past week; he didn't press and took what was given and the Bills won, he had a very similar game to Dak's this week. Yes, the Raiders are probably not very good this year, but this Jets team with Zach Wilson at QB beat Buffalo.

Now, does that mean that the Cowboys can play this type of conservative football all the time, no. But, it is important to be under control even when there is chaos. Especially when there is chaos.
If under control means playing for field goals then never play under control.

Josh Allen played the same game he always does, it was just against a worse defense.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
They can't keep leaning on the defense. Eventually they're going to have an off day and the offense will have to step. Keep relying on FG's and you are going to get burned.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There were dozens of times when I’d swear Garrett was playing for a FG attempt.

Of course that is not true (right?), but I still felt it at the time. What a waste. I’m still pissed at Jerry over that and never won’t be, but I’m gonna allow him to make it up to me with a championship.

Qcard

Reaction score
This was the Cowboys offense in the 90s so no wonder he loves it.
It is why Emmitt was better than Barry Sanders.
Emmitt won every play with zero flash and near zero mistakes much less any easy/west running.

I was a defensive guy and love it too.

The passing attack in the NFL is vital as is stopping it but you have seen a return to balance for good teams. 49ers, Eagles(gross) and now our Cowboys.
You have to do both.

The last step in the games evolution is mastering the situation.
Get the ball 5 minutes left in the half up 10-0.
Are you better with a 1:30 second TD drive or a 4 minute 50 second FG drive?
I'd argue the latter, easily.
13-0 and more wear and tear on the opponent's defense.

Versus potentially giving that team some offensive momentum with a 2-minute drive for a FG to get on the board and balance TOP.
:hammer: :hammer:

The quintessential Troy Game 21/30 250 yards 2TD….. no picks clean game!! Troy could have put up gaudy numbers when needed….

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Why did this Jets team beat the Bills last week?
B/c they have a better defense than the Raiders.

Josh Allen does what he does. Sometimes it results in turnovers, sometimes it results in monster games. It's not like his approach changed lol

Qcard

Reaction score
There were dozens of times when I’d swear Garrett was playing for a FG attempt.

Of course that is not true (right?), but I still felt it at the time. What a waste. I’m still pissed at Jerry over that and never won’t be, but I’m gonna allow him to make it up to me with a championship.
Garrett’s administration was paper thin deep……who cares about playing for FGS when his teams are always a startDr injury away from Draft time….

Sinister

Reaction score
B/c they have a better defense than the Raiders.

Josh Allen does what he does. Sometimes it results in turnovers, sometimes it results in monster games. It's not like his approach changed lol
Why did the JETS team beat the Bills?

I'll answer it;

Because Josh Allen played out of control, Josh Allen cost the Bills that game. The Jets defense is very good, Josh Allen pressed and tried to score touchdowns and ended up giving up 4 turnovers (3 ints and 1 fumble). The Bills team is better than the Jets, but because Josh Allen played out of control they lost in overtime to a Division Rival and could potentially cost the Bills the division later in the year. Josh Allen potentially ruined the Bills season.