Twitter: LNS | Jimmy Johnson: Let's run the football even if we have to take a FG

lopey

Reaction score
2 but whose counting. Those Super Bowls were 30 years ago.

You don't have to believe me, believe Andy Reid. It's his philosophy, and he's the best coach in the NFL.
Reid doesn’t have the defence we have. He needs to score pts.

JustChip

Reaction score
The only problem the Bills have with consistency is that they play in the same conference as the Chiefs and, to a different degree, the fact that they poorly allocate resources. It has nothing to do with their gameday approach.

There's really no situation worth mentioning in which "score a touchdown" isn't the priority. Down 10? Score a touchdown? Up 6? Score a touchdown?

Like what are we talking about? Trying to win games 20-13 is a death sentence for an organization. We watched a decade of it with Jason Garrett.
Of course, the goal is to score a touchdown. But the situation dictates how aggressive a team should be in trying to attain that goal. Some situations dictate taking time off the clock and getting points of any kind.

The Falcon-Patriot Super Bowl is s prime example of losing a game due to aggressiveness.

Or the Cowboys-Lions game where Dallas was up something like 30-3 at the half and lost the game thanks to 2 second half pick 6s.

Or the Oilers losing to the Bills in a playoff game after being up 35-3 thanks to an aggressive approach in the 2nd half.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dallas currently has the #1 defense in terms of yards allowed, turnovers, sacks (tied with Washington), and scoring.

The offense is #1 in scoring and about middle of the pack in terms of yards per game.

What to make of this?

The defense has clearly taken a big step forward from last year.

I would argue, though, that zero offensive turnovers, relatively few penalties, and winning the time of possession are just as big of contributors to success as the defensive performance.

But, the defense is more fun to watch. :)
#1 in scoring. Tap the brakes kid. We have a defensive score. Everyone that does is now #1 in scoring. Two games against mediocre offenses.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That one season was very far from what the patriots normally did.
IM not gonna go oer season by season, but Brady was not dink and dunk. He was to the extent that if thats all the defense gave him, then thats what he would take.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
2 but whose counting. Those Super Bowls were 30 years ago.

You don't have to believe me, believe Andy Reid. It's his philosophy, and he's the best coach in the NFL.
Put Mahomes in Dallas an Jason Garret would have been the best coach in the NFL.

Put Justin Fields in KC and Andy would be unemployed in 3 years.

Big_D

Reaction score
IM not gonna go oer season by season, but Brady was not dink and dunk. He was to the extent that if thats all the defense gave him, then thats what he would take.
You picked the one year they lost. Lit up the league stat wise and didn’t win a championship. For the majority of his career he utilized his RBs in the passing game and did it quite a bit. I’m not saying that’s all he did, but he won many games doing exactly that. Take what the defense gives. And it was usually the underneath. He could take that all day.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You picked the one year they lost. Lit up the league stat wise and didn’t win a championship. For the majority of his career he utilized his RBs in the passing game and did it quite a bit. I’m not saying that’s all he did, but he won many games doing exactly that. Take what the defense gives. And it was usually the underneath. He could take that all day.
the one year they lost, and it was the best team he was ever on.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
33-15 and what was his playoff record???? Isnt that what we ultimately judged JG by????
Judging on playoff record is for lazy people.

JG was terrible regardless of the playoff record. Actively disadvantaged his team on gameday.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
That's something Kellen Moore still don't understand. Slow the game down, you don't need to score in 2 minutes.

rambo2

Reaction score
Put Mahomes in Dallas an Jason Garret would have been the best coach in the NFL.

Put Justin Fields in KC and Andy would be unemployed in 3 years.
I heard that Texas Tech qbs couldn't make it in the NFL.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Playing for field goals works against junk offenses like the Giants and Jets. It doesn't work against good teams.
30 points on a good defense will win you most games, even against Mahommes, who looks pretty human with average receivers

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
30 points on a good defense will will you most games, even against Mahommes, who looks pretty human with average receivers
You're not going to consistently score 30 points being that bad in the red zone and constantly settling for short field goals.

The Jets ineptitude on offense (and, really, scoring so quickly) gave the Cowboys possessions you don't normally get. You don't usually get the ball at all for the drive that got the second touchdown.

rambo2

Reaction score
You're not going to consistently score 30 points being that bad in the red zone and constantly settling for short field goals.

The Jets ineptitude on offense (and, really, scoring so quickly) gave the Cowboys possessions you don't normally get. You don't usually get the ball at all for the drive that got the second touchdown.
I'm pretty sure that McCarthy was using the clock to his advantage and holding back some plays for later in the season.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Playing for field goals works against junk offenses like the Giants and Jets. It doesn't work against good teams.
No one plays for field goals. Jimmy was talking about situational offense. He was talking about some OCs having tunnel vision and just wanting to go go go as fast as possible to increase the stats and points but as a head coach whose job is to win the game, there are times when you want to slow the offense down and not leave any time for the other team even if it means kicking a FG. If you take possession with 5 minutes in the half and score a TD in 2 minutes and the other team scores a TD with the 3 minutes you left them, the net effect is zero. If you slow it down and end up kicking a FG with 30 seconds left, you are increasing your chances of winning. Thats what he was talking about.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that McCarthy was using the clock to his advantage and holding back some plays for later in the season.
Probably. It doesn't really matter in a game like that one.

But the point is that the conservative nature can't be the philosophy against good teams. I think it's stupid to "save" and have any type of inconsistency in that regard, but I get why you'd do that.

rambo2

Reaction score
Probably. It doesn't really matter in a game like that one.

But the point is that the conservative nature can't be the philosophy against good teams. I think it's stupid to "save" and have any type of inconsistency in that regard, but I get why you'd do that.
He is saving plays for the good teams.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No one plays for field goals. Jimmy was talking about situational offense. He was talking about some OCs having tunnel vision and just wanting to go go go as fast as possible to increase the stats and points but as a head coach whose job is to win the game, there are times when you want to slow the offense down and not leave any time for the other team even if it means kicking a FG. If you take possession with 5 minutes in the half and score a TD in 2 minutes and the other team scores a TD with the 3 minutes you left them, the net effect is zero. If you slow it down and end up kicking a FG with 30 seconds left, you are increasing your chances of winning. Thats what he was talking about.
This is totally stupid, even if it was his point. In both scenarios, you've got the lead and the ball with ~30 seconds left. In the first, you have given yourself margin for error with a 2-possession lead. In the second, unless you're already winning by 6, you miss the FG and give the other team a chance to win or tie with a TD late.

There's no scenario in which a FG is better than a TD.