Long and difficult season, but fruitful in the end

erod

Reaction score
So he is Doug Free that will only get better in pass protection instead of worse....:laugh:
Right now, I'd settle for him getting as good as Doug Free in pass pro. Meanwhile, if Tyron or Martin get hurt, we have zero depth to cover.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Essentially, the preseason is over, aside from that monstrosity we have to sit through on Thursday. I appreciate the new cut system that allows teams to risk no one of significance anymore the last preseason game. It'll be a battle of laundry.

However, with the real deal nigh upon us, questions abound as suspensions and injuries drip from this roster like sap from a Gorosoe. The Cowboys aren't ready, but tough toodles, it's here.

Week One is littered with uncertainty. Zeke's appeal quite possibly might not be decided by then, so he might play against the Giants. If it comes down the Friday before, he won't have time to file for an injunction. If it's enough before, he might get an injunction. Or, he might just accept whatever fate the league decides. Who knows? Nobody, that's who.

Then there's Damien Wilson and Nolan Carroll, who could be suspended any minute and join Damontre Moore and David Irving as temporary outcasts from The Star.

Rookies Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are seriously needed asap. They aren't supposed to be add-ons like Switzer and Woods. They're supposed to be critically relied-upon players, and they haven't sniffed the preseason, which for rookies is important. It's hard to imagine they're ready for a Sunday Night game against the Giants.

So what's that leave, aside from a slew of scenarios to juggle with one hand tied behind?

I am not worried about the offense. Dak looked poised and practiced over the offseason, which he deserves mountains of credit for. He dove in and improved his arm velocity and his knowledge of the offense. The offensive line has some quibbles, but they'll be solid enough and get better, and the skill groups are deep and talented.

Simply put, the offense looks unstoppable. I'm not really sure how defenses will be able to attack the Cowboys, though I'm sure coordinators have plans for young Dak. Good luck with that if you can't get to him because you're going to get carved to pieces. Glorious.

Defensively, (sigh), oh boy. The defense looks unstoppable, too, as in, it can't get any stops.

Aside from the defensive tackles and Sean Lee, there's almost nothing ready for prime time. The pass rush looks anemic yet again, and the secondary is decimated and waiting on rookies to save it. Hitchens is now down, so I guess they'll rely on Justin Durant again or move Lee inside, which is a bad idea for his health. Wilson may or may not be available, and Jaylon Smith is not ready for significant playing time. He needs to keep healing.

Scandrick looks good, but his aging bones can't play every snap. Carroll remains a turnstile, and Anthony Brown will have to handle the top receivers, which I'm not sure he's ready to do. Jones and Heath need to get on the same page because both look repeatedly late. Dallas desperately needs Lewis and Awuzie to heal up and grow up fast. Tomorrow, if you please.

Of course, other teams have issues, too. The Giants can't run the ball or score touchdowns, it seems. Let's hope our defense isn't the cure for their ills. Denver's next with QB woes. Everybody ails, but I wish our defense wasn't such an annual beating to sort through.

This team will have to evolve as the season progresses to be in position to make any hay in the sun. That means some necessary 38-35 type of wins early, I'm afraid. That's an exagerration for effect, but not by much. Marinelli is going to have to earn his lunch money.

What happens when you mix a 13-3 offense with a 3-13 defense? You usually get 8-8. Let's hope this defense improves as the season progresses to avoid that sister-kisser season that none of us want to commiserate through.

I think they will make that progress if the injury gremlins are few enough. I can see 11-5, which should be good enough for the East, and present a formidable foe for the postseason.

That's if they grow up fast.
erod--- This is the best and most accurate posting of the present situation of our cowboys that i have seen...i especially agree with the state of our defense....i am very concerned because of our pass rush and backend that we will get torched..it is sobering..my hope is we get lucky bounces of the ball...some erratic play of opposing QB's..some timely penalties from our opposition..and that our offense also gets lucky to go along with being good and we win games early on the season as we wait for injuries to heal and suspensions to be run their course and rookies to finally get in sync

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Most fans imo feel this way. I agree with almost everything you said Erod, except that I'm a bit more hopeful that the defense can at least be a 8-8 which is all need out of them. Offensively I'm not worried either. I think we all see the future of our franchise and smile knowing we have everything we need for the future.

That's all really.

erod

Reaction score
I actually feel better going into this season than I did last season. But the Cowboys have a history of not putting 2 good seasons together so there's that....
Dak makes me confident that we won't see a letdown. He's been my concern all offseason, and I thought there'd be a noticeable drop, but after watching him this preseason, he's throwing better and getting it out quicker. The guy works on his craft, which most young QBs fail to do early.

This offense will go. Nightmare for defensive coordinators because it's the most balanced in the league in numerous ways. A lot of third-down options, including Dak's feet.

Great offensive teams will be a problem for Dallas, but that's only 5-6 teams. The rest probably can't keep up with Dallas' scoring.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I see the same type team we had last year with different personnel. Good offense with a inconsistent defense. So does that mean we'll be 13-3? No because we caught a few teams off guard with Dak and Zeke last year. That won't happen as easily this year and also teams (esp in our division) have improved. I think we stand a good chance to get into the playoffs again this year but I don't see us doing anything to better our playoff chances once we get into the dance. Perhaps a year of experience under Dak's belt and Taco and Co. will get struck by lightening which will help but same old coaching and defense will not help win championships.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually, the make-up of our schedule works in our fav........we only have TWO divisional games within the first eight. IF we can win the two divisional games against the Giants and Commanders and pull out couple more conference to put us at 4-4 for the first half of the season......I'll take it. Come Nov and Dec as we all know, every team is shooting for their division. An opening day win against the Giants would go long ways in reaching our goal. Remember the pressure we from the 2nd Giants game last year?

Week Date Kickoff Opponent Result Record Game site TV NFL.com
recap
September 10 7:30 p.m. CDT New York Giants AT&T Stadium NBC
2 September 17 3:25 p.m. CDT at Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High Fox
3 September 25 7:30 p.m. CDT at Arizona Cardinals University of Phoenix Stadium ESPN
4 October 1 12:00 p.m. CDT Los Angeles Rams AT&T Stadium Fox
5 October 8 3:25 p.m. CDT Green Bay Packers AT&T Stadium Fox
6 Bye
7 October 22 3:05 p.m. CDT at San Francisco 49ers Levi's Stadium Fox
8 October 29 3:25 p.m. CDT at Washington Commanders FedExField Fox
9 November 5 3:25 p.m. CST Kansas City Chiefs

haleyrules

Reaction score
I see the same type team we had last year with different personnel. Good offense with a inconsistent defense. So does that mean we'll be 13-3? No because we caught a few teams off guard with Dak and Zeke last year. That won't happen as easily this year and also teams (esp in our division) have improved. I think we stand a good chance to get into the playoffs again this year but I don't see us doing anything to better our playoff chances once we get into the dance. Perhaps a year of experience under Dak's belt and Taco and Co. will get struck by lightening which will help but same old coaching and defense will not help win championships.
Yep. Thats about the size of it. Stiffen up the Defense and its a SB run.

zack

Reaction score
Honestly, as long as we make the playoffs and go deep I don't care. I'm tired of having great seasons and going down in the first round. I'll gladly take 10-6 and making it to the NFC Championship. Let's start there and see if they can push through to the SB and win it.

Everson24

Reaction score
erod--- This is the best and most accurate posting of the present situation of our cowboys that i have seen...i especially agree with the state of our defense....i am very concerned because of our pass rush and backend that we will get torched..it is sobering..my hope is we get lucky bounces of the ball...some erratic play of opposing QB's..some timely penalties from our opposition..and that our offense also gets lucky to go along with being good and we win games early on the season as we wait for injuries to heal and suspensions to be run their course and rookies to finally get in sync

I can tell you one thing we won't get, timely penalties from the opposition. We will get the short end of the stick when it comes to timely penalties and benefit of the doubt calls. Book it. Jerry Jones has ticked off Mara and Goodell and our team will suffer for it (again).

erod

Reaction score
Hell, we can just go to Texas De Brazil and have a meat rave.

"come on party people!!"
OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ

Some lobster bisque and piles of meat. My favorite meal there is. But then you feel like you ate half an ox.

rags747

Reaction score
The defense isn't going to be nearly as bad as some people think it is. I believe we will have our challenges in the early part of the year due to the suspensions and youth. We will get better and better as the year goes on and will be peaking when we need it most.

I think this defense will be playing better than any defense we have had in the last 5 years by the end of the season.
I kind of agree with this. We have some very nice potential with this DL especially if thy let this kid from LSU get some snaps...if he makes the 53 which I assume he will. Zeke will be very well rested for the stretch run, Irving will be very well rested and D Moore should have fresher legs as well. If we can start getting some quality snaps from our rookie db's then I think this defense will surprise just as it did last year. It won't be Doomsday, but I definitely think it will be better than last yr.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Some lobster bisque and piles of meat. My favorite meal there is. But then you feel like you ate half an ox.
Have you eaten at a Brazilian Churrascaria? You leave hurting, not matter what. I'll take some Lamb... Rare.