Long time consuming Drives... Out of Gas

sbark

Reaction score
20 play smashmouth football drives......MBIII 100 yrds 1st half..
Had several of that type of drives vrs. Gints
Didnt have anything of that magnitude all season..that many during 1 game
Most drives were of the medium to short quick strike variety....with emphasis on passing.....

and then 4th Qtr on.......our O-line appeared to be totally out of gas
Giants smelled blood, brought the house on every pass play......Romo running for his life

Sure appreared our Super-sized Olinemen were not in physical condition to
handle that load.....not after the long grueling drives of the 1st half...

Did the 20 play drives, with focus on Running Gas out our O-line....

With our Huge O-line size........is a rotation along that line as important as rotation along the D-line, especially if we are going to have games such as this.........or draft a 'Wow" type RB.....

yimyammer

Reaction score
sbark;1907641 said:
Most drives were of the medium to short quick strike variety....with emphasis on passing.....

Giants smelled blood, brought the house on every pass play......Romo running for his life

With our Huge O-line size........is a rotation along that line as important as rotation along the D-line, especially if we are going to have games such as this.........or draft a 'Wow" type RB.....

I'm certainly no expert, but in the last 35 years of watching football, I've NEVER heard of the offense getting worn out from having a huge time of possession advantage and having long clock eating drives like we did in the 20 play scoring drive.

I thought most teams could only dream of doing something like we just did.

I can't believe that somehow, something every team strives for, has now become a disadvantage to our team.

Unreal!?!?!?!?

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have heard both ways- some claiming the O line was gassed and others saying the Giants were trying some blitzes that we were not ready for. To me the line looked gassed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One thing to point out- the Giants were constantly subbing their D line in and out. While the O line was playing the whole game. So I guess its possible they just wore down.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
burmafrd;1907715 said:
I have heard both ways- some claiming the O line was gassed and others saying the Giants were trying some blitzes that we were not ready for. To me the line looked gassed.

The Giants have several guys that blitz well, how could the Cowboys not be prepared for that ? This was the 3rd matchup this season.

O-Line may have been gassed, still they expend less energy unless pulling and running downfield. That didn't happen very often.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
burmafrd;1907719 said:
One thing to point out- the Giants were constantly subbing their D line in and out. While the O line was playing the whole game. So I guess its possible they just wore down.

But that happens in every game for every team. Most of these guys have played OL for many years. Its so common and typical it isn't really an excuse.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Sparano was choked the OL was letting the Giants come to them instead of hitting them first.

We blew it, simple as that.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
I was wondering if the Cowboys beat themselves by having a drive like this and the other long drive they had. Not because it tired them out but because it limited the number of possessions not only that the Giants had but also, the number they had. I think it worked to take scoring opportunities away from themselves.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];1907732 said:
I was wondering if the Cowboys beat themselves by having a drive like this and the other long drive they had. Not because it tired them out but because it limited the number of possessions not only that the Giants had but also, the number they had. I think it worked to take scoring opportunities away from themselves.

Even still Tom, the 40+ second scoring drive at the end of the half might have taken the wind out of the teams sails but it didn't.

I would argue the Cowboys D became complacent because of the long drive, before I would say the O was tired because of it.

WarC

Reaction score
Defensive rotation is good because those guys get worn out quick, especially nose guards and ends. Tackles in a 4-3 are usually pretty stationary and so they're a little better off. Nose guards are being double teamed and they are usually larger individually, some might need breathers for a play or two.

Theoretically an O-line is passing close to half the time, in these situations they are also fairly stationary.

Essentially, an O-line rotation (more like a breather) might be a good idea for blockers who routinely pull or trap, which is usually a weakside guard. Run heavy offenses pretty much. Larry Allen needed one occasionally.

This is why you'll hear people say "they're wearing out the defense"...Most teams, especially 4-3's, don't have the ability to rotate very effectively along the defensive line - we can because Parcells stressed it in the 3-4.

Dunno whether or not it affected this game...The Giants did bring the heat at the end, but it was more about them disrespecting our offense's ability to generate yards. The offense just came undone the last few weeks, and the wheels fell off despite Marion Barber's brute force injection in this game. I can't explain that part yet...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1907738 said:
Even still Tom, the 40+ second scoring drive at the end of the half might have taken the wind out of the teams sails but it didn't.

I would argue the Cowboys D became complacent because of the long drive, before I would say the O was tired because of it.

funny how you appeared again after we were knocked out

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];1907732 said:
Naw. TO and Glenn were not healthy. The Giants DBs and coaches realized this and played tight man coverage because they knew they could not separate. Then they sent the dogs and got to Romo.

It was good football. Plain and simple.

cowboyz

Reaction score
it had nothing to do with being tired. the giants just started sending an all out blitz and they didn't pick it up.

dallas was still having ok runs, but the penalties/sacks preventing the running plays.

i do think colombo got injured on a run by barber, where he was holding his side. but the pressure problems came either on davis or on the left side with issues between kosier and flozell.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1907849 said:
funny how you appeared again after we were knocked out

Yea...that's it. Been on this board for years.

I must have just disappeared for ever game the Commanders lost , and the Cowboys have won, over the years.

Trust me if you guys win I will be back with congrats, lose and I will assess through my opinion.

Boysboy

Reaction score
sbark;1907641 said:

This is a ******** joke, really-we run successful LONG consuming drives early in the game, only for our OL to wear out?!?

Seriously-I witnessed this too, but when THIS happens, something is really wrong. Either the players didn't physically prepare themselves, Wade didn't physically prepare this team, etc.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Boysboy;1907931 said:
This is a ******** joke, really-we run successful LONG consuming drives early in the game, only for our OL to wear out?!?

Seriously-I witnessed this too, but when THIS happens, something is really wrong. Either the players didn't physically prepare themselves, Wade didn't physically prepare this team, etc.

So Wade is to blame for their conditioning ?

Boysboy

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1907945 said:
So Wade is to blame for their conditioning ?

Our conditioning program is fine, yes. But this is the first time I've witnessed OLmen getting tired from being on the field so long.

I don't know-all season long, we were barking at Garrett for not running the ball enough, and thought at the same time maybe our big OLmen just weren't athletic enough.

Again-I don't know, maybe Wade and Garrett knew something we didn't.