Looking ahead to '24 Internal Free Agents

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If you think Dak is going to cost 59 million you are kidding yourself. Just like he didnt cost us that much this year when it was projected.

I see Pollard gone after this year. They will draft a back with a top 3 pick and team him with Pollard to develop this year and unless things go horribly wrong, this will be Pollards last year.
I agree on TP for sure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree on TP for sure.
The truth is we cant afford to pay a RB that much money and that includes Pollard. RB needs to be one of the cheapest positions on the team. Just keep drafting them in the 3rd round every other year and rotate them in and out. Dont resign them and bring in a cheap good veteran here and there. Simple position to take care of.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We are overlooking Dak's contract..........yes this last extension was fairly easy to deal with coz the 2023 salary was already guaranteed. This is basically a contract year for Dak or put it another way, his contract has no more guaranteed money after this season. So the question is how much will it cost to add new G-money to his deal........$45M, 47M, 50M.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pollard walks
Trade Diggs
Pay CD
This is actually reasonable.........agree will Pollard, Diggs is kinda an enigma ( just not sure what we have in him ) who gets tagged. Certainly not ready to give him a huge long-term deal. CD is a slam dump.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
I would entertain a Parson's trade for picks ala the Walker trade. He's usually beat up by mid season and much less effective. Trade him by game 8 or 9, he'll have served his purpose.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Here is an article about next year's class of Cowboy's free agents?

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-2024-free-agency-preview/

Is there any preemptive moves you would make?

And before it happens don't bother with the "let's enjoy the 2023 season at least first", just save it. You're the one that clicked on a thread with a very clear title as to what the topic was going to be.
Unless Gallimore turns it around this season, he won't be missed.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

And before it happens don't bother with the "let's enjoy the 2023 season at least first", just save it. You're the one that clicked on a thread with a very clear title as to what the topic was going to be.
Truth is that there are only about 4-5 guys on that list that are really "must haves".

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are overlooking Dak's contract..........yes this last extension was fairly easy to deal with coz the 2023 salary was already guaranteed. This is basically a contract year for Dak or put it another way, his contract has no more guaranteed money after this season. So the question is how much will it cost to add new G-money to his deal........$45M, 47M, 50M.
giphy.gif

And spread the cap hit as unless Dak plays like Marino and takes his team to at least an NFCCG he will be like ZEKE ......History!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

visionary

Reaction score
This is actually reasonable.........agree will Pollard, Diggs is kinda an enigma ( just not sure what we have in him ) who gets tagged. Certainly not ready to give him a huge long-term deal. CD is a slam dump.
Diggs is the kind that will hold out for the last dollar. He will want to be the highest paid CB and will want 20 million +/y. Once signed he will be untradeable and if you think he doesn’t want to tackle now wait till he’s paid. There is no way we can pay Dak, Parsons, CD, our LT premium money and pay Diggs and field a team that has enough talent elsewhere to compete for a championship

We can get a rd 1 pick for him if we trade him now because he has a cheap year left and this draft has good CBs

That’s what I would do

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The truth is we cant afford to pay a RB that much money and that includes Pollard. RB needs to be one of the cheapest positions on the team. Just keep drafting them in the 3rd round every other year and rotate them in and out. Dont resign them and bring in a cheap good veteran here and there. Simple position to take care of.
So they can't afford to pay a RB $10M but can afford to pay Dak $126.4M the last 3 seasons to play 33 out of 50 games while compiling a regular season record of 21-12 with a playoff record of 1-2.....now that is a great return on investment.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So they can't afford to pay a RB $10M but can afford to pay Dak $126.4M the last 3 seasons to play 33 out of 50 games while compiling a regular season record of 21-12 with a playoff record of 1-2.....now that is a great return on investment.
If you take your Dak goggles off for a minute you will see what he is saying is true, RB is a position where the diference between rookie production and paying them second contracts anywhere around 10 mill is a bad investment.... Again Dak's contract doesnt somehow legitamize any other contract. If we had 2 rookie QB's here I still wouldn't pay a RB 10 mill when i can get similar production from a RB room on rook deals. Its not about "Can Afford" its about production vs cost. How many winning teams have 16+ mill RB rooms?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an issue with giving out all of these 1 year contracts. Always a high number of FA's.
But 24 is far less from the 30 to 35 they usually have. However, it is more big name players this time.

This may end up being a very important draft to find long term replacements.

The cap is projected to go up about $31 million for 2024, so that helps. Plus Dak contract will be extended or renegotiated or whatever the term will be.
They can be in decent shape. But that is next years problem. Heck let us get to the draft first.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you want to talk about something other than Dak, Ill be more than happy to. Your act has gotten tiresome.

Let me know if you want to talk about Pollard and his salary.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I clicked on the thread to say let’s enjoy the 2023 season at least first.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That is a lot of big-named starters and while things like the 5th-year option for Lamb and a franchise tag are in play, while some players like Tyron Smith may be gone, how Dallas does in the draft this season to fill some holes early on will be telling.
Wow, nothing about Dak. My plan is working.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I would entertain a Parson's trade for picks ala the Walker trade. He's usually beat up by mid season and much less effective. Trade him by game 8 or 9, he'll have served his purpose.
Trade the best player on your team and Argus the best defender in the NFL? Wow, Madden players.